1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(red alert) The Best receiver in the entire galaxy will be on rome today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by conquistador#11, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ric, what differentiates a possession receiver and a game-breaking receiver to you? Just the ability to make guys miss? The ability to get open on long routes and breakaway for the TD? That's what it seems like you are saying in this thread.

But I can remember around 3 different times this season, it seems, where the Texans were driving and Andre caught a pass where he was tackled around the 1 yd line (pretty sure it was 3). Then the actually TD run or pass went to someone else (mostly because for some reason, in the red zone, the defenses send damn near EVERYONE to cover Andre and someone else is left open...usually Daniels or Walters). Had Andre just managed to get those last yards, he would be sitting at 5 TDs for the season instead of 2. Would that be enough?

It wasn't that long ago that Andre was leading the league every year in YAC. Mostly that was because Capers had no faith in the passing offense and would throw the little quick side pass to Andre and let him work his magic. The guy has moves. He definitely lacks a little bit of the quickness, the acceleration that guys like Moss and Steve Smith have, but I do believe he is a game breaking receiver and he has just been unlucky on his TD numbers so far this year.

2. HombreDeHierro

who the hell is that.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

whoa - slow down with all the examples....
    i just watched it on nfl.com: play fake sucked in the safety and johnson was open by very nearly 10 yards, if not more. very nice play that roughly 99.9% of the WRs in the NFL could have and would have made.

4. Hey Now!

msn, this is the statement i was specifically responding to:
    Originally Posted by moestavern19: "the... make-you-miss ability of a Randy Moss"

he may have that skill, but it has not been on display here in houston much and certainly not with any consistency. there are MANY factors why - i just think some of them fall on johnson. not all; not the majority; not even very many - but some.

that's it.

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Tall skinny dude with collarbones made of glass. Thanks Detroit!

6. Hey Now!

guys who (routinely) make plays after the catch.

i don't know why... this is kind of meaningless - but probably because i'm THAT guy, i went and looked this up: it's happened once as you described it: against detroit - he was tackled at the 2 on a 17-yard gain.

it's kind of, sort of happened in 2 other games this year.

in week 1, against the steelers, down 1,000,000,001 to 3 or whatever the score was - johnson caught an 11-yard pass and was tackled at the 4.

and then against the bengals, he caught 4 passes on the drive anderson got his TD, but the closest johnson got was to the 7 on a 6-yard catch. he was also pushed out of bounds at the bengal 11 on another drive after a 10-yard catch.

but i'm looking for plays where he made something out of nothing; i can remember one - at buffalo in... 2003 or 4: he caught a pass and broke a tackle or two to score a long gainer.

he's never, ever led the league in YAC. ever.

7. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

Are you seriously dogging the guy after he won Player of the Month?
    Talk about "semantics."

Go root for the Titans, pRick

8. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Well damnit, that's what I get from going off memory rather than looking it up. I guess what bothers me about your definition and your appliction of it to Andre is I haven't seen a catch this year where I thought to myself that I would have expected Randy Moss or TO to break free and take it to the house. I think the distinction is a pretty flimsy one and not one I would use to knock Dre's game at this point (however minor a knock it might be).

Hmm, I always remembered the announcers talking about how he led the league (or was one of the leaders) in YAC during the years when Carr would throw the ball to him right as it was snapped and let Andre juke his CB and run for 10-13 yards. Oh well, doesn't really matter anyway.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

never mind, i shouldn't have started this stupid argument, i apologize

10. Hey Now!

dogging? no. since the indianapolis game, johnson has been an absolute beast and much closer to the WR a few too many people believe johnson has been from the start.

pRick... ah, man - i haven't heard that since... like, at least kindergarten*. brilliant! pRick - how do you come up with this stuff?! hey - my last name's sweeney - i bet you $1M you can't come up with a clever insult for that. no way....

(* actually, now that i think about it - ian howfield also called me pRick - but it was actually "pRic" which was funnier because he wanted to make sure I understood he was including my name in the rip so he took care to spell it correctly. man, that guy was the spit.)

11. msn

msn Member

Just for the sake of this article alone, you should get back into fansite hosting. I've been largely disappointed with "in the bull's eye".

12. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, me too. I know those guys have other lives, but they still don't even have a recap up of the latest Texans victory, one where we won by the largest margin in team history.

13. Hey Now!

yeah, good ol' ian... what a wild time that was....

i haven't hit ITBE yet; i know keith is really busy with work and family, but he was godsend for many years on HPF.

14. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

Props to you for being called a prick multiple times. Carry on.

15. blackistan

blackistan Member

I dont know why everyone gets shocked when someone says that andre is the best reciever in football, right now whos better? Everyone makes a case for TO and others but I personally always felt that randy moss has been the best reciever but since andre plays for the texans I had been rooting for him as my best reciever in the nfl but now it is forreal andre is the best reciever in the game

16. msn

msn Member

[​IMG]

17. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

The Best reciever on the Planet does play in Texas. He does not play in Houston and he does not play in Dallas.

Micheal Crabtree

Wrek Em!

18. almightee

almightee Member

This guy may be on to something...

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wrong again....best receiver on the planet does play right here in Houston...Jarrett Dillard at Rice

20. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Can't go wrong with either. How about best receiver use to play in Houston. Donnie Avery?

Either way you argue Texas has developed some of the best receivers in NFL and college.