1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(red alert) The Best receiver in the entire galaxy will be on rome today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by conquistador#11, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Love Andre to death but he;s got a long way to go before earning the right to be mentioned with guys like. Right now Moss is the top receiver in the league pair him with Brady and you can't stop them period!

I remember last year watching many games in which Moss called his own number and took off for the endzone with the entire secondary left behind gazing.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

how many times do you remember moss going over the middle and taking the shots that andre just took in the bengal game?

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

never said "everyone" - ever. and the lines always got messy but i defended david carr only so much as i didn't think he was the team's biggest problem; that we had much bigger issues; that if he had, say, today's cast around him, he would have been ok.

but that's now ancient history: they've benefited from an upgrade at QB, as well as coaching staff and very nearly every position on the field.

try doing a search from early last year when you were crying about his lack of sacks and dismissing those of us who saw he was the reason others were getting them. i remember, specifically, the post-atlanta game in which you refused to acknowledge okoye's sack was a direct result of mario flushing harrington from the pocket into amobi's arms.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes I said he needs to play better, this is your problem, you think to support someone you can't criticize them

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

LOL

this is the thread that you came in and thought I was talking about the Titan game and in the first post made it personal

Take your own advise dude

[ric making it personal]"some"? pgabriel didn't watch the game; not after baby vince was ruled out. the offense deserves *most* of the blame, if not all of it - in fact, that was one of the greatest defensive performances i've ever seen, given the circumstances: seven of tennessee's 16 possessions began in houston territory; another began on their 49. that's what happens when you turn the ball over six times and generate 34 yards of total offense in a half.

but sure, let's rip the DL - yep, they were the problem. they held tennessee to 14 plays in the 4Q, forcing three punts and a FG despite tennessee TWICE taking over in texan territory, once on the 33, the other on the 17.

same thing happened last year: casual fans lock in and won't let go. the "DL" is this year's "david carr." in fact, ripping the DL allows them to avoid confronting a bleaker reality: carr was only a small part of the problem and the only one that's been expelled. admitting the offense is still putrid means they'd have to backtrack on their constant, "it's carr!!" chants of last year.

so rip the DL they do.[/ric making it personal]

6. Hey Now!

semantics; i've never disliked andre johnson - being a good/great possession receiver is not meant to be a knock. but i think an elite receiver makes plays after the catch and can break games open with his ability to do so. johnson doesn't do that. but he leads the league (i believe) in first down conversions - there's tremendous value in what he does.

but i think he's been the best thing for years on a really bad team and has thus been slightly overrated by the locals. let's not forget: it was just five weeks ago he was dropping TDs in tennessee....

oh... i don't know. i'd put him below moss, owens and steve smith, right off the top of my head.

7. msn

msn Member

So, top five? :p

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As far as yard per catch are concerned, I would say that is a function of the offense. Ed Mcaffrey and rod smith were never big yards per catch guys playing in Denver, even in the Super Bowl years although in 97 smith averaged 16 yards per catch back down to 14 in the repeat year.

The Broncos' receivers aren't tearing up that stat this year either

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was dead wrong about Andre Johnson coming out, if you look up the threads that year I was sold on Charles Rogers and thought Andre was overrated.

He's a great receiver on a bad team, now he's a great receiver on an average team... and he is making plays that will turn the Texans into a force to be reckoned with. Its amazing what having a viable running option like Slaton will do for that offense.

Side note - Before Andre, The U had Santana Moss on one side of the field and Reggie Wayne on the other side. Thats amazing really.

Miami's teams around the turn of the century were unbelievably loaded.

10. Hey Now!

LOL.

so you getting personal with me here today is the product of you holding some year-old grudge? kind of sad, really. but, oh! does that mean i get to now rain "*******"s and "jerk"s all over you the way you did in the referenced thread? i'm giddy...

actually, i'm really not... unlike you, i'm not continually reduced to such desperate measures.

any interest in getting back on topic and trying to engage one another on the actual subject at hand?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

LOL, you brought the thread up, who's holding the grudge

"hold your keyboard while I go do research" LOL

reduced to measures like bringing up a thread you were wrong in to prove i was wrong about something the thread doesn't even dispute, that i've never had a problem with the texans drafting mario

LOL Ric, you're priceless

12. Hey Now!

fair point; but neither were as physically-gifted as andre johnson, nor did they play in this passing-friendly era of football. plus, johnson's been in this offense for less than half his career.

my problem - concern is that even with an awful QB, RB, OL and coaching staff... i mean, he should have broken SOME games open. but bradford did it far more often while he was here.

and again, i don't begrudge andre johnson for being a possession receiver; i balk at claims that try and build him up to be more than that: i've never seen it. i don't think, in years past, he makes that 4th down grab against miami.

but since disappearing in the JAX, he's caught everything thrown his way and has been terrific.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, in years past that's exactly the type of big plays he makes. I'm not going to name the few I remember because that's a pointless argument, only will say that his advantage in size in strength is exactly what has made him special, because i agree, it isn't the downfield plays that moss makes.

and that's not admitting he can't make those plays, there's just not enough chances.

14. Hey Now!

no, i didn't; i referenced the ATLANTA game; that thread had nothing to do with the ATLANTA game.

but it did illustrate my initial point about where you and i stood on the mario williams issue... so i repeat: i don't rub mario williams in anyone's face; you're obviously still harboring a grudge for having been so thoroughly owned a year ago.

i think a small part of my brain just shot itself... did you read this before hitting the submit button? and did it make sense to you? does it make sense now?

whatever - my response is, "huh?" YOU brought up mario williams; that random thread from october 2007 (which has nothing to do with andre johnson), vince young, and every other off-topic item.

it's SOP for you: insult, divert... insult, divert....

15. Hey Now!

citing actual evidence to support your position is a "pointless argument"? yikes...

i would very much love to be reminded of big plays andre johnson's made in his career here in houston because i obviously don't remember any of them.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I started this thread after the atlanta game, I don't even think I commented in the atlanta game thread. you thought it was after the titan game, this the thread.

this is the thread you referenced when you tried to prove i criticized the texans for taking mario, so i referenced it.

do us a favor, if this isn't the thread that YOU brought up, find the atlanta game thread, prove that i criticized the texans for taking mario, to back up your original claim

sheesh, i thought i'd help you out since you said you couldn't find it.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG]

andre going for 73 against the saints last season

I was trying to find the catch he made against the jets between two defenders in 06, ironcally, carr's last good game

18. Hey Now!

you know what, pgabriel - we're having a communication breakdown. i didn't post much here during the aftermath of the '06 draft, and even if i had, i certainly wouldn't have been defending the mario pick - while i certainly understood it and liked it on its own merits - i thought they should have selected bush.

so i assumed "rubbing mario williams in everyone's face" was a reference to early last year when i was (usually) alone in defending him against the likes of you (and others). if not, then it's an even more arcane and irrelevant reference: what, exactly, am i rubbing in everyone's face?...

19. msn

msn Member

I would guess that the other offense he was in was even worse for his numbers.

But didn't you already give a good reason as to why? [Ric] under the old regime, he lined up in the same space every down and opponents could collapse that side of the field... their gameplan, overall and specifically with johnson, was always too vanilla; too passive, regardless of the QB. [/Ric]

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Thanks so much! :)