1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendations for food/activities in Maui, Kauai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Good morning hangout,

I am getting really excited about vacation for the wife and I towards end of May to early June. We will be spending 7 days in Maui (2 in Wailea, 2 in Hanaa, 3 in Kaanapali) and 3 days in Kauai (Wailua Bay).

For those of you who have been, any tips (restaurant or tour recommendations?) I want this to be a very special trip and personal recommendations are the way to go.

We are both relatively young, no kids, and are up for most activities. Any advice from those in the know would be awesome.

Thanks

2. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

I was at Maui a few years ago for a wedding. It was a great time! Maui is a really calm/chill place compared to the main island. There is a lot less people and there is not really much going on at night. A lot of my time was just spent relaxing and lying on the beach enjoying what free time had. During the day, there are tons of activities to do ranging from surfing, SUP (stand up paddling), snorkeling, hiking, exploring beaches.

Suggestions:

1. Gannon's (http://www.gannonsrestaurant.com/)

This is a high class restaurant at a very nice location. Its about 15 minutes from Wailea. The food here is amazing. The ambiance/service will be perfect for you and your wife.

2. Molokini Crater

Basically, you sign up for a boat leaving near Wailea and they'll take you this volcanic crater. Snorkeling with the sea life doesn't get better than this. I had a lot of fun with this and the water is just teeming with fish everywhere. This will probably take up about half the day.

[​IMG]

3. Road to Hana and out of Hana

These roads are tortuous and I'd suggest taken a motion aid pill if you get dizzy easily. Also, before you begin your trip on the road to Hana it might be a good idea to pack some food since there are basically NO restaurants in Hana save for a beach grill that overcharges on crappy food. Anyways, the road to Hana will take you through Maui's jungle and you'll see loads of breathtaking views. Every 10 minutes you will want to stop and just marvel at nature's beauty. About 1-2 hours into it, theres an botanical garden/arboretum. You'll have to pay to get it in ($5? IIRC). It's a nice hike around look at labeled exotic plants. When you get to Hana, you'll see a black sand beach. Behind the beach there's a family run outdoor restaurant selling pad thai and fried rice on the go.

When you leave Hana, instead of going back the way you came, you should trek on through the highway. It will eventually come around the south bend of the island and take you by Wailea. IMO, the views you see on the return trip are better than when you went to Hana.

4. Haleakala volcano

This is another great location that will take to the middle of Maui. This is great if you like hiking.

2 people like this.
  3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Maui
    Molokini Crater - one of the best snorkeling spots in the world
    Turtle Town - good snorkeling spot for sea turtles
    Haleakala National Park - hike above the clouds with views of the entire island; didn't do the sunrise bike ride because I don't want to wake up at 3AM while on vaca
    Plantation Course @ Kapalua - my favorite course on the island, but very difficult
    Wailea - beach is pretty nice

Mama's Fish House is only of the most highly rated restaurants in the U.S.
    Kula Lodge - pizzas, views of the island en route to Haleakala
    Gazebo Restaurant - macadamia nut pancakes

1 person likes this.
  4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kauai - Spent a week on the North Shore (Maniniholo Bay). It's been a while so I'm completely spacing on restaurant names...although I did really like Puka Dog hot dogs. I do remember having some good meals in Hanalei though.

If you are able to make it to one of the farmer's markets, take the time. There was a nice one outside of Hanalei.

And if you'd like a day hike, Haena State Park is near by with a good trail that takes you to a waterfall that you can swim and eat your packed lunch at. Not too many people take so I had it all to myself.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Flatbread Pizza is really good
    The italian place at the Four Seasons in Wailea is really good
    The restaurants at the Grand Wailea are bad
    Lunch at the Four Seasons overlooking the ocean is awesome..

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Kauai
    Duane's Ono Charburger (Anahola)
    Hamura's Saimin (I do not care for this place...but EVERYONE raves about it. Lihue)

McDonald's - portuguese sausage, eggs and rice breakfast. Suck it you anti-Ronald McDonald losers.

7. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

I'm going to second that comment about the 4 seasons. One of the best ocean front views on the north shore.

This is an old picture I took back then of a sunset

[​IMG]

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not agreeing or disagreeing on the specific places, but I think we'd agree that one does not go to Kauai to eat well. :)

Go for the snorkeling and hiking and maybe surfing. Bring lots of food with you, OP!

1 person likes this.
  9. flipmode

flipmode Member

@maui: star noodle, leoda's pie shop, aloha mixed plate
    @kauai: ishihara market or fish express (for poke!), hamura saimin

10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Road to Hana is awesome, you can have them pick you up from hotel if you don't drive yourself. My biggest tip is make SURE your rental is a convertible. Oh, and if your doing the Luau, make sure to book the old laihani luau. Its the best, stop by Willy Nelsons hippy town along Hana of you like to smoke lol. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll second Star Noodle.

1 person likes this.
  12. WestendMassive

As said by others, the Road to Hana is a great trip. Just make sure you leave early so you can enjoy a few stops along the way! Grab an audio guidebook from one of the souvenir shops to make the most of the drive.

For food, my wife and I loved Cafe O'Lei and the 5 Palms Beach Grill in Kihei. Amazing food!

Have a great time. Maui is an awesome island. The only thing I wished we could have done was watched the sunrise from Haleakala. Probably a good reason to go back!

Oh and if you're looking for some wowee, try finding a local under the massive banyan tree in Lahaina, they'll hook you up.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thank you for this great post. We are currently in Maui and I think we'll give your recommendations a try.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I agree.........in fact, it was a pain in the butt to get there considering I've had better times in some place like Puerto Vallarta, BUT.........if you like sushi (or raw fish), I ate tuna poke pretty much every day, and I still crave it.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks again - we did both of this, and enjoyed it. Took the long trek back. Only thing that was a bit annoying was that there is no "shortcut" to Wailea on the way back - you can actually see the hotels, but have to drive all the way back up to the airport and then down again.

Both activities were nice, though.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Pineapples and coconuts

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There is a sushi place up in Kapalua (a great place to play golf, by the way) called Sansei.

Very interesting takes on sushi and it is a lively environment. Get a reservation! I think there is one in Kihea, Maui as well.

They do late night dining too and on Thursday and Friday have free (and lively) Karaoke.

18. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club