1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendation on workout/nutrition plan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Sep 8, 2016.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I'm looking for a good trainer who can put together a workout and nutrition plan based on my goals and current state. I don't want a generic 1 size fits all plan from a magazine. I follow a trainer on Instagram but this dude wants $479 for a 12 week meal/workout plan. I hope that's not the going rate haha!

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you're looking for in person training, I totally recommend Amazon Fitness. Dude is fantastic, has his own gym, will do body measurements to track progress. If I recall his name is Darrell Franklin and he's located in Spring. His wife is like some super body builder. They're way into the nutrition and lifestyle. He's very attentive, super patient, and just a great trainer. I moved from his area so I had to stop going. He's an older guy with a ton of experience, not one of these young bro science trainers.

If you're just looking for a program, try 5x5 Stronglifts.

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks man. Spring is a little out the way and honestly I don't have the expendable income for training sessions. Looking for just a 1 time deal to set me up on a personalized plan

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

What are your goals?

Honestly,.. I think if you rely on other people, you probably aren't going to reach your goal, but that's just how I see it.

I've seen progress on my own when I've changed my own mentality, not when I am depending on another person to tell me what to do.

Depending on what your goal is, you just have to over train yourself and eat better, consistently.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Agree with Tonaaayy.

Better to do your own research and diet plan than throw money away at someone else who'll give you a generic one you can find for free online.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Free custom workout plan from your own goals but the truth is finding any routine and sticking to it will yield results.

As far as diet goes in general it's based on your BMR and activity level.

http://www.iifym.com/bmr-calculator/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1oWcpweTuXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you skip to the 5:35 the man in the red shirt will explain what BMR is if you don't want to read.

For HIIT/Cardio I like the free workout videos on Fitnessblender's Youtube channel. They got 8 week workout programs you can follow on a calendar on their website for like $10 a pop that'll keep you busy 5x a week but all their workouts, even the one's linked in their calendar can be found for free on Youtube. They just put a routine on a calendar for you to follow instead of wading through 500+ workout videos. You'll definitely drop fat but muscle gains won't be huge given all the cardio you're doing. No need to throw almost $500 at some meathead. Most of those lifters are on or have been on some gear so it's not like following their personalized routine will make your body look like theirs. Start from your own baseline and do your own work and research.

#5 London'sBurning, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hit me up. I'll offer you free advice or you can join me at 24 hr for a free session.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you look at recent science not dieting scams, intermittent fasting is the way to go. Two or three days out of the week, try to eat less than 1000 calories which is on average is about 35-40% of typical day. The other 4-5 days of the week eat your normal calorie intake of 2,000+ calories. Of course healthy food is better during those days. I try to eat 3 healthy meals a day regardless but on Monday's and Tuesday's I'll cut back to maybe only a snack or small salad around lunch time and then a 500-600 calorie dinner. The science is that during the mini-fasting your body has to react and your body will get energy from fat storage instead of sugars which makes weight loss more efficient. Also your metabolism increases because you give your digestive power plant a day off basically, allowing it to reset. It also helps to reset your hunger signals in the brain. Apparently obese people have this issue where they feel hungry when they are not. In fact overall, brain function is apparently improved. It can boost your immune system and the other crazy thing is apparently you live longer too!!! Many studies show that cultures that fast have longer life expectancy. Don't believe me, search for yourself.

So tons of benefits from intermittent fast but the added benefit is you are still able to weight train since you are still consuming calories the other days.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This. Skip breakfast and replace it with just coffee. Lunchtime you can eat whatever you want, dinner eat a small healthy meal and you will see results. Forget what you heard about breakfast. Look up Kinobody or hodgetwins for more intermittent fasting info.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Also, there's a new sheriff in town, Hawaiian punch flavor 5 calorie packets. You don't get that nasty aftertaste crystal light gives you. Taste like the real stuff too.

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks for the input fellas. I should have mentioned that my goal right now is to gain weight/muscle mass. I'm currently at 173 with about average body fat (definitely not low)? I'm nowhere near swole but I've made gradual progress. I've been in the gym but I've been doing the same workouts for as far as I can remember. I've also done my research when it comes to nutrition but calculating macros and calorie intake is a headache. I'm not religious about my diet but I try to stick to it M-F. I suppose what I'm looking for is to switch up my workout and have any actual plan/end point to work toward. If I have something on paper it's easier for me to stay disciplined. Getting advice from someone with a proven track record who has been there and done that is easier to commit to. You don't want to feel like your spinning your wheels and wasting time by not training right or eating wrong.

#2 was what I was referring to.
    http://www.thedriveclothing.com/the-drive-diet/

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks dude. Check out the link I posted and see if you can offer me something similar. Ignore the price hahaha

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Creatine, when I've used it, has helped me produce my best "results" - strength and aesthetically wise. Short of using HGH and steroids, I'm not sure what else would work better than creatine.

Please advise.

13. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Diet: The best diet is the one that has existed since humans were created- Ketosis. Nothing else will burn fat quicker + still give you energy to build muscle. You can go on this one long term or make it a lifestyle.

Workout: Find exercises for each muscle group and split them up however you want. Keep in mind some muscles work together e.g. chest and tris. Also keep in mind delts have three heads so make sure to work all three.
    Here's an example split:
    1- Back,biceps,legs
    2- Chest,tris,delts
    Rest
    Rest
    Cardio,abs

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I would use your money on something that you really need.

1. Buy pre-workout (use C5 from Cellucor). It's usually $25 I think for 30 servings. I've tried a few other pre-workout supps and I think this is very good for those who are starting. Take it 30 minutes before workout.. I usually take this with a banana, just to get something in my stomach before workout. Let's start your work out in the afternoons - after work M-F.

2. Buy whey protein pure-isolate. I think the brand Dymatize taste pretty good. 0 sugar with about 20-25 grams of protein.

3. Now, work on the area you want. If you want upper body, start a routine when you come to the gym daily, to start out. My routine is shoulders, biceps, biceps, arms, arms, chest, chest, and chest. Make sure you contract when you lift... that means tighten, straighten your back, give yourself a good posture. You'll eventually start working a lot of muscles all around. Ex: when you tighten your biceps, contract to where you can contract your abs as a secondary workout, but mainly, just focus on your goals (upper body, arms, chest). Oh yea, drink plenty of water.

4. Once you finish your workout, it is imperative that you take in the whey protein. If you want mass, i'd put in 2 scoops of whey, with almond milk, or whole, or 2%. Plus, eat your regular meal, but try to consist of a high-protein diet. This is crucial, this is where your body repairs itself, and absorb all the much needed protein from your 2 hour work out (yes ... 2 hours.. just do it. Don't settle for the 45 min workout, you need to feel as if your arms are skin tight and as if they are going to explode). You have a 30 minute anabolic window for your body to do this.. so just make sure you eat immediately.

5. You would also need to take in vitamins, fish oil, and maybe some l-carnintine to reduce your body fat. I like to take l-carnitine with my pre-workout... it'll give you a little energy, and that way you can down it with your drink.

6. Get adequate amount of sleep. If you want to turn it up a notch, i'd take a scoop of Casein, with milk (of your choice). This acts as a protein shake, except it'll digest slowly... that way, your body isn't fasting while you sleep. Your body will slowly absorb the protein while your body repairs itself. You want to get big, you have to eat big.

7. For breakfast, you can take in some avocado, cook yourself up some eggs, oatmeal, whatever..

8. Lunch, find something with fish, grilled chicken, have a protein shake on top of it.. you need to continue to find ways to absorb protein.

9. Find yourself some high-protein snacks like nuts, just reduce the sugar. I used to make myself some bison-burgers and eat it on the way home from work.. in traffic lol.

10. Repeat.

Just to note: You can only eat so much, that your body will just release your waste, as your body will only need a certain amount of nutrients each time.. but at least you will be maximizing on a much better diet, and the one that fits your goal.

(Also, feel free to drink some bcaa's at any time throughout the day)

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you don't like doing the match or you dont know how to calculate the macros?

what you have to realize is, the key is where you are coming from...that's what makes a plan truly personalized. Figure out what your macros/calories are on average before and then work from that.....you really don't want to switch things up drastically from one day to the next...adjust it slowly.

I'd start by making small tweaks to your diet and dealing with the headache of counting for a few weeks...since you're not signficiantly overweight that should be enough time to get to a nice baseline...then you can just eat similar things daily, of which you already know the macros, so no constant counting.....i eat pretty much the same things everyday, but i like them, so it works..if i get tired of it, i change it up for a day or two and I'm usually good.

16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

17. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

been using those for a few years. GOAT

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#18 kubli9, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Mostly don't do any of this but train well, eat well, and sleep well. ;)

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I read some stupid article on Facebook and decided to try and do my own version of it. The gist is to work out legs 5+ days a week and upper body as much as you can handle / want . Don't lift heavy everyday and pretty much don't lift heavy at all at first . I've just been doing 50+ bodyweight squats and a bit less lightweighted ones holding a kettle bell in front . Also do some lunges and try to do deadlift twice a week . This is my first week doing this and I've already gained about 3-4 lbs .

This might just be me , but the more cardio ( up to a certain point) the hungrier I am . At low levels of cardio this means I'm not hungry enough to gain weight and will actually lose weight if I just lift . So don't forsake cardio completely; most people think it will cause you to unequivocally cut weight but frankly that's for your metabolism to decide .

Obviously eating is the most important thing to gaining weight . Plenty of protein and lots of water man . Work those legs everydayish and make sure your form is impeccable the worst thing you can do is get injured so start slow and steady . I mainly changed up my workout routine because I wanted to inprove my squat form and go ass to grass . That way if I want to in the future I can start loading up weight without being too worried if I'm messing something up .

Oh and if you know how to swim get in the pool a couple times a week .