1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendation for Running/Workout Shoe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Which Nike Shoe is better?

1. Nike Free 5.0

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Nike Flex Run 2014

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

I'm starting to hit the gym/running again and am looking for a reliable shoe.

I borrowed a pair of Nike Free Runs (Livestrong Edition) last year from a friend and they were really comfortable and I was able to use them for casual wear.

A couple of things about my experience running in the past is I used to have shin splints, but that was resolved with wearing a lighter shoe. However, when I begin running normally, sometimes I feel slight discomfort along my right calf. My feet are a bit arched also, so I can feel some pain/discomfort there also.

I've been looking at the Nike Free 5.0 and the Nike Flex Runs, and am leaning towards the Flex Run because it's cheaper and the reviews have been mainly positive.

Is there a recommendation for a shoe (or what's your input on the Free/Flex) that is good for running/lifting/casual wear as well as helping to ease the discomfort I'm experiencing?

I usually go 10.5-11 and my feet are medium width.

Will rep for recommendations/reviews

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I wear Brooks, very comfortable.

4. manny5alive

manny5alive Member

It all depends on how your foot is made... I say you go to a special retail running store.. and have them analyze and suggest what brands best suit your type of foot.

5. RV6

RV6 Member

You should probably go get looked at by a therapist, you probably have some tightness/inefficiencies in your movement that's causing your problems.

There isn't much difference between the flex run and 5.0 frees, looks like the same sole to me, as far as support and drop. You'd probably be better off comparing the Free 5.0 and 3.0 instead.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

anyone else have either of these shoes?

7. Nebmoney

Nebmoney Member

New Balance 990v3, best shoes I've worn

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Never did care for Nikes when I ran. Asics have been great.

9. BrieflySpeaking

Asics for me too.

10. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

my current running shoe, won't purchase anything else besides Brooks in the future, very comfotable indeed

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

How is the wear and tear on the Asics/Brooks? Have they lasted a long time and are they good for weight lifting (ankle support)?

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Concur with the asics gel. Mine are super high quality compared to all the adidas I used to buy. Had my pair of asics for about over a year now and theyre still holding strong. Not sure about ankle support, not even sure they make high tops. Just look around for them. You wont be disappointed

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I run about 100 miles a month and generally rotate among 3 pairs. Each pair is still in good shape after 300+ miles. I like the Gel-Flash but they have been discontinued and Asics doesn't have an official follow on product. I also like the Gel-Exalt and they have been discontinued, but there is a Gel-Exalt 2 which I will be getting next week.

I don't do heavy weight lifting, but I do wear them in my personal training sessions and have never noticed any problems while doing any of the various weight training exercises.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

I would recommend getting a pair of shoes for running and a separate pair for lifting.

Quality running shoes are built specifically for just that, straight line running. For lifting, I'd get something with more of a zero drop sole.

Running wise, I have been a brooks man for several years now but there are. Obviously other quality ones. I'd go to good running store, like Luke's locker, and get one of their people to pick you out a pair. Shoes should be picked out for fit and not how they look.

15. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Member

Asics is what I use to run, I love them.

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Second Asics or Brooks; Nike is too narrow for me. If you are in Houston I would recommend going to a place like Luke's Locker for running shoes. I also have a second pair for just lifting, flatter is better. I hate lifting in running shoes.

17. Mr. Brightside

I'm a marathon runner, and I prefer lighter shoes. Particular to the New Balance Minimus series. I wear the trail Minimus usually since I like running on grass, dirt and hills instead of actual street. The Minimus has a Vibram sole.

They are decent for the gym too, although I wear a different pair of low profile New Balances for it.

18. raj87

raj87 Member

If you haven't tried one already, may I recommend a foam roller for your legs and feet. I was experiencing pain in the same places, and it turned out to be the fascia getting too tight due to overtraining - which a foam roller can smooth out.

19. Xenon

Xenon Member

I'm very happy with my Asics.

20. RV6

RV6 Member

Yup, but it can be radiating down from the hips too or even higher.

It's really hard, IMO, to go by people's suggestions and reviews on shoes because we all run a bit differently, whether because of structural differences or mechanics that aren't optimal, so when someone says "X shoes were great for me" they could have a different gait that benefited from the design of that shoes, so that won't necessarily feel the same for you.

I would just go try some on from different brands and with different heel drops.