1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommend me a credit union

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aznhobo1, Sep 29, 2011.

1. aznhobo1

aznhobo1 Member

Looking to close my BOA checking account because of these new debit fee's among other problems. Anyone have a local credit union they recommend? Preferably one that refunds other bank's atm fee's and has central houston locations.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you a vet? Have a parent who's a vet, or who has worked in the past for USAA? If so, they are top notch. We have had a Mastercard with them for many years, and they've never raised the rate. We still pay 8% and have a high available balance, although we keep the balance low, unless we've done a lot of traveling and simply haven't paid it off. Low interest rates for a car loan and they are easy to get. We also have a Wells Fargo account and are getting ready to close it. The fees have simply become absurd, and although we have a "premium account" and all that jazz, they still keep chipping away with their services, and upping what they cost. I highly recommend USAA.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Fine, you are a good credit union. Are you happy now?

4. Relentless

Relentless Member

Is military background necessary for USAA?

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I think only for insurance not for banking.

6. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I use Southern Federal Credit Union.

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

8. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Texas Dow Employees Credit Union (TDECU). Anyone can be a member. TDECU refunds fees on select ATM's---over 43,000 nationwide. They also have their ATM's located inside all Buc-ee's locations across the Houston area and Texas. Speaking of which.....back in October 2009, TDECU & Buc-ee's teamed up and gave all credit union members who used their TDECU debit card at Buc-ee's $.30 off per gallon of fuel. Currently, the credit union is giving $1000 every day to randomly selected members. www.tdecu.org

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I re-opened my University Federal Credit Union (UT Employees) account a few months back, but I'm not in love with it. Can you guys suggest a better Credit Union? I'm in DFW as well, so Houston-only CUs won't help much (one of my problems with UFCU).

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I use Gulf Coast Educators Credit Union. Great for auto loans! But must either you or your spouse must work for a school district in Harris county.

13. Prince

Prince Member

DCU or TDECU

14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Clear Lake/Galveston-area: JSCFCU

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Are there any credit unions that offer investing services along with checking accounts (similar to Schwab but maybe more affordable)? I'd like an account that I can have my checking/savings and also Roth IRA, mutual funds, etc. setup through and see it all on the same site and transfer money to.

16. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Penfed or Navy Federal. Don't need to be in active military, just donate $5 to a cause for membership.

1 person likes this.