1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[recap]Summer League 08

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

AH its good to be back home but both robgue and I had a great time at summer league again this year.

GAME 3 Vs Nuggets:
    We arrived friday evening and attended the Rockets/Nuggets game. I was rocking my Donte Greene jersey that night. I like an idiot though forgot my camera in the hotel room and had to use my phone to take pictures on Friday.

I sat down near the tunnel and both Aaron Brooks and Maarty were chillin there:
    [​IMG]

After the lakers game ended we saw that the Rockets bench would be on the other side of the floor so we moved over to the other and who was over there?

None other than former Rocket John Lucas
    [​IMG]

Lucas was there as a member as the Raptors I believe JL3 was playing for the summer league team I said whats up to him and shook his hand. I didnt get a picture with him though he was just walking by.

The game started I posted in the the "opinions/predictions" thread what I thought of some of the players on the team this year from the 3 games we attended but here are some pics from the game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

two little things I remembered that were funny. Barrera was trying to run a play and called the play out but Donte wasn't running it at all he was kind of roaming around. The coaches were getting on his case for it, there was a foul so it was a side out and coach Sikma was telling him he needed to run the play. Donte said was that what he was saying? I didnt know I never heard him speak before first thing he has said all week (referring to barrera)

Then Dahntay Jones hit a three in front of the rockets bench (burning Greene again) and then said "what you think he can f'n stop me" to which Dorsey immediately said "coach I'm ready to go in now" the guys at the end of the bench got a kick out of it. But Joey was pissed he doesnt like it when players to try to show him or his team up and looks to get even...I like that fire

after the game we stuck around for a bit and Donte Green came out
    [​IMG]

He was all iced up, his knees and his left hand. I asked him if he hurt his left hand on a couple of the dunks he had. He just said yeah, but it wasnt a big deal. He saw my jersey and his friend/relative there was like "Man they are already making these?!" and I told him no I customed ordered it and Donte said thats awesome thats love right there. He pulled out his iphone and I told him that he needed to get the new one (and showed him mine) and he started laughing that he hasnt gone home yet to get it. I said man you got your contract now you got paid you need to get on it man. He started laughing. I talked to him a bit about the "gunnin for that #1 spot" movie that I had seen a few weeks earlier with him in and I asked man you kept wearing a UCLA cap the entire movie and didnt go there (I went to UCLA) I was man if you came there we'd be awesome. He laughed said I probably wore it because it matched the shorts I was wearing, but then he went on to say that UCLA didnt recruit him though. He look at my jersey again and asked if I was going to wear it again tomorrow (sat) and I said no I was going to wear the Dorsey one I got tomorrow. Donte then said, Really? man Joey is going to be pumped seeing you wear that. After that I said thanks and that I'd see them the next day. and we left.
    [​IMG]

we also saw coach Turner again friday night and he said hello and then said I almost didnt recognize you without your face paint. To which I laughed and said that only for the season and playoffs baby. He thanked us again for the support and coming out. I asked him why he wasnt coaching this year (he did last year) and he said they wanted the other coaches to get a chance (Rick Jr did the nuggets game) Aaron brooks came out then too I was about to go talk to him but then his little daughter came running up to his crying Daddy so I stopped I didnt want to bother him with his kids and family. Morey came out too but he was with his (I assume) wife and was talking to the coaches and Kanis' euro? coach as well so I figured I'd get a chance to see him later so I didnt want to bother them there when they were talking.

onwards to Day 2 against the Wizards and the Joey Dorsey "T"

#1 The_Yoyo, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Are you The one in the glasses.Thats pretty cool.

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Lol I wonder what Maarty is doing with his hand in his Shorts.. ;)

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good God.

Dorsey is ripped.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Hey... that's my line! ;)

Great pictures Yoyo! Even from the phone!

6. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Awesome pic wish I can get close the players like this but am in philadelphia :(

7. lovelyfishbl

lovelyfishbl Member

Good job!
    It's nice to see John Lucas on the court! :D

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Damn man.

Chillin' in Vegas. Watching some quality ball. Chatting with Brooks, Greene, Dorsey etc.

I can only dream about such things.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Really cool pictures. Thanks YoYo.

10. The_Yoyo

Day 2 Vs Wizards.

The wizards game was in the smaller of the two arenas (but the arena where NBA TV televised the game so it looked more "full") so there wasnt any tunnel but like curtains off on the end of the bleachers that led into a door which connected the to the other arena's locker room. Robgue and I sat closer to the rockets "locker room" before the game started since thats where most of the players would sit around. The players started trickling in about halfway through the third quarter and I saw Dorsey. During the 3rd and 4th quarter I walked over as close as I could and yelled out his name. He saw me and I pointed to my jersey and I asked if I could take a quick picture and he smiled and said yeah and called me over. The problem was as soon as he stood up a bunch of kids (i didnt know until I turned around) followed me and tried to start hounding him for autographs and pictures. I felt bad for him and the security guard who tried to keep the people away since no one else was supposed to go over there. The security guard told people to leave and they did. To the guards credit he came by to the kids who he asked to leave during the fourth quarter and took what they want signed and asked Dorsey and the others to sign them. He just couldnt have a huge crowded gathering there. He also apologized to me, which he didnt have to do since I sort of caused to whole thing by going up to Joey.

Anyways:
    [​IMG]

when I shook joey's hand it was like he was shaking my entire arm his hands were freaking huge. Thats a sign of a good rebounder if you ask me.

When the game ended and the rockets took to their bench we moved to the other side behind their bench and I saw Joey sitting down in his streets so I went up to him and asked him if he was playing and he said no he wasnt because he rolled his ankle but he hoped to play tomorrow. He asked me about my jersey and said "Man Donte was telling me about you last night, where'd you get that jersey? I don't even have one yet let me have that one!" I was like what? you got one at the press conference and he said yeah that was the only one he got and it was a replica like mine. I started laughing and I was like well soon enough you'll have some so you can give me a bunch. he started laughing. I then gave him a little crap for his Tigers beating my Bruins in the final four said that man if he didnt play defense against Love so well we'd win. He laughed and said they (UCLA) were a big hurdle that they needed to get over. I said well we'll kick Memphis' ass this year. He laughed and said yeah because the Big 3 left. (him,rose and CDR) At this point I was surprised the security guard behind me didnt say anything because normally they dont allow people to be right at the bench I was pretty much on the court talking to joey (he was sitting down) I asked him when we'd see the Ray Lewis day he started busting up and said opening night he'll bring it out. I started laughing and said Oh by the way my name is Shri, it took him a while to get it but he did and said he'd remember.

At half time we saw Coach Adeleman sitting with coach turner and we went to say hi real quick:
    [​IMG]
    I told coach that Joey wanted a jersey since he didnt have one yet. Adeleman responded right away saying "well he's gotta earn one" to which I said true. We didnt spend too much time as it look like Coach was not really a people person (compared to coach Turner)

So then we see Rafer roll in and I was surprised to see him since it was summer, but hey its vegas who doesnt want to go there? His daughter sat two seats down from us. He would look back from time to time from the bench to check up on he, he pulled out a wad of cash at one point to give her some so she could go buy some food (After when she came back with some food Rafer wanted some of the cookie she bought). JL3 walked by and hit him across the head and they talked for a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rafer was pretty involved in the game he would talked to Russell and Aaron brooks a lot about what they should be doing out there and during huddles he would also step in at times and give his insight on plays and all. I was impressed actually since last year the other few players that were there attending usually just sat back and watched.

SOO the Joey Dorsey T:

So right now I will say I am going to love Joey and his competitive nature. Yeah he was hurt, but probably would have played if it was a meaningful game, but its summer league. But he was getting frustrated and mad not being able to go out there and help the team. He kept yelling out to the guys on defensive adjustments since we were getting KILLED on the boards. It was killing him. So there were these wizards fan sitting right behind us and to the left a bit who would clap and cheer whenever the wizards made a basket. After a while Joey got fed up and just turned and yelled back "This is aint not f'n wizards section take your cheering over there" After a while the rockets made a little run and the guys behind us were quiet and Joey said aloud again "Oh they aint pulling that sh** now its quiet now" then the wizards scored a basket and these guys cheered louder I looked over to Joey and you could tell he was pissed he had this look in his eyes. He likes to talk and is super competitive... Then when the rockets took the lead and the wizards had to foul Dee Brown committed a hard foul on Barrera right in front of Dorsey. Joey took exception and got in Brown's face for it. Brown started talk mess back to Joey and the two of them started talking and the refs had to break it apart. So then Barrera hits the two free throws and then Joey says the Blatche "thats right you cant rattle him" not even that loud and the ref just turns and Ts him up and motions that he is ejected. I was even surprised since when do you get ejected for one T? Brooks was pissed he told Joey to stop talking. Joey sat down didnt thinking he had to leave since it was one T and then the ref told the coaches he had to get out. Even the coaches thought it was absurd. The refs said it was what he was saying to Brown and that Joey was talking the entire game to them (not true he was talking to the fans) and that last little bit was the last straw. The funny thing was that right after he left with Nelson Luis...the arena PA announced that we could meet Joey Dorsey in foyer area for autographs. (this was announced before the game but the timing on the reminder was hillarious)

After the game we met boomboom and his 2 year old son (decked out in a tmac jersey!) when we were outside in the foyer joey walked by just gave him a hand pound but he was really upset at himself and at the ref still. He signed a few autographs and was about to go back to the locker room. As he was walking back I stopped him again and told him the ref was wrong no big deal. I then said that I asked coach adeleman about getting him a jersey and he said "oh yeah what he say" I said he said you gotta earn one he started laughing again and said he would.

another pic:
    [​IMG]

I dont take to many live action pics because it takes away from me watching the game.

edit: so when we were entering to take our seats behind the bench we ran into coach turner who talked to us for a bit was kept calling coach adeleman to see where he was. we then saw Daryl Morey I walked up to him and said hello and he was like oh hey how is it going you guys came back out this year and i said of course. I asked him if he got the emails I sent him and he said yeah you're the superfan out in LA. i laughed and said yeah thats me and he then apologized to for what had happened to me at Game 2 of the playoffs earlier this year. the security people kept trying to keep us moving and he went the other way so we took our seats. Robgue said I scared him and that he is scared of me now.

#10 The_Yoyo, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Really awesome stuff man, as usual.

12. stussysupreme

stussysupreme Member

whos donte talking to in that pic? nice sneaks.

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

thx for the awesome post, nice pics yoyo.

14. Lovemachine2000

You mentioned a Damon Jones sighting in another thread. Did you happen to get a snapshot of him? He was probably sporting something like an apple green suit and a pink boa. That b**** is so hungry for attention that he'd wear a bikini if guaranteed a 5-sec clip on ESPN.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan! I too could have scared Daryl Morey!! Darn you new car!

LOL

Great recap Yoyo sounds like yall had fun!!

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

so if yall are making this a yearly thing, I may go out there next year if they are in Vegas again, I'd go this year, but Adrian isn't turning 21 till Aug, hence is why we are going next month.

im jealous you got a Dorsey/Greene jersey before I did... :( oh well, I was the first to get Rafer/Head/Bonzi (now absolute) jerseys before anybody :)

as always good work, and I got VIP access as Yoyo was live texting me on the fly :)

17. The_Yoyo

Day 3 vs Kings

Last game Dorsey comes out in street clothes again and I ask him why he isnt playing and he goes its my ankle what you want me to get seriously hurt out there? I told him well I'm sure didn't stop you from going to the club and he goes man I havent been to any of the clubs since I got here and I was like sure..he started laughing.

Rafer showed up again this time with his wife/girlfriend who was smoking like this asian or half asian girl...man Rafer my man you have done well. I went up to him this time and asked him how the hamstring was and he said it was his ankle that was bothering him but he is fine and I said we need you all good for the playoffs man..he started laughing said he'll be good to go not to worry.
    [​IMG]

Carmelo Anthony was at the game along with OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose... Rose came over to the rockets bench to talk to Dorsey a lot. Anthony got mobbed by kids when he was leaving for autographs...In the words of a kid next to me after the game "Man I am going back to Alaska and all the "naggers" out there can kiss my black ass cuz I got Melo's autograph!" It was funny to me because the kid was probably 13-14 at most and it was really random for him to say alaska dont know too many people from there.

anyways
    all of a sudden guess who shows up out of the blue with french fries in hand:
    [​IMG]
    everyone was surprised he showed up there actually as all the coaches and staff walked by and kept asking what he was doing there. Luther stepped out into the crowd to talk to some other Rockets staff and I went by and asked for a picture:
    [​IMG]

I wished him good luck with the select team and he said thanks.
    Afterwards he went back down to the bench and was chillin with derrick rose. Hopefully he asked Rose about PG skills.

but then again I think Morey called him on his phone to tell him he was traded:
    [​IMG]
    I kid I kid of course just think its a funny picture I was able to take of him I dont remember what one of the staff guys said to Luther.

Luther was cool though he signed a few things for some of the kids around...I wanted to go up and talk to him, but the security guard behind the bench this time was a lot stricter and wouldnt let anyone too near. she got made when I went up and talked to Joey about being out again.

Funny thing at the end of the game Coach Sikma called out to Joey and Joey looked at him and said "what's up" and Coach Sikma joked "keep your mouth shut this time" everyone started laughing then.

After the game ended coach turner walked down (he usually sits a bit further up where he is by himself to watch the game) and said thanks again for coming out and I told him well I probably would see him in LA next time because wasnt sure if I could make it out Houston again for the home opener, he said to come on down and that we all know you down there trust me just bring some of the makeup. I said sure. Coach Turner is really cool guy and pretty straight forward last year we asked him a few questions (well I did about Novak) and he gave me honest answers. Same this year he was looking for improvement in all the players.

After the game the people there ushered us all out..one lady was being a jerk and kept telling us that the players have already boarded the bus and left the arena. I replied "so why do I still see a bunch of them on the court still?" she look back and gave me this dirty look and asked us again to leave.

We figured to wait around a bit and see if anyone comes out outside of the arena. Donte Greene came out and his friend was like "ah there's your boy again" Donte said whats up I asked for one last picture and he said for sure. I told him good summer league and that I'd see him in LA once the season starts and he said for sure I'll look for you.

[​IMG]

so that was it I know I am probably leaving out some stuff. I got a "movie" with aaron brooks and me. the camera was set to movie mode so instead of a picture it recorded a small clip. I just need to take a screen grab of it later for my own collection. I posted like I said earlier in the "opinions/predictions" thread about what I thought of Dorsey,Greene, Luenen and Barrera in terms of their performance at the games.

Like I said last year if anyone out here has a chance to go next year I would totall recommend it. Even if there are no "big name" rookies on the rockets squad its still a great experience. I got to meet Russell Westbrook, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Lorenzo Mata-Real (former bruins) all over the weekend (unfortunately Kevin Love got hurt on saturday so he didnt play sunday and the wolves game was going on at the same time the rockets game was sat so didnt see him then) But then there will always be big time rookies you can meet as well as team coaches and officials and other players who come out there to watch. Damon Jones and Dale Davis were there just walking around. I saw Terry Porter look a bit upset when asked for an autograph in the Men's room. Heck even Coach Adeleman got stopped on his way into the men's room for a picture (he didnt look to happy about being stopped but he took the picture anyway and no it wasnt us some random people there) Brad Miller was there on Sunday as well I said to robgue maybe we should ask him where we could get some "plants"

well thats it hopefully you all enjoy, thanks!

18. bewy

bewy Member

Best thread ever. Really enjoy reading it and hope you will share with us again in the future.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Truly great! Thanks, Yoyo!

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What a great recap. You're a naturally funny guy, Yoyo.