1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recap: Denver sideline guy on Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely I did. The 2 Hoyer injuries were the ONLY reason the Texans made the playoffs. Unfortunately there wasn't a 3rd or they might have won a playoff game.

I care about the team's success and anyone else who cares about that would have been happy too.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

But you once said in an argument against Hoyer that you'd rather have a quarterback put up great stats and the team win three games than have an average or below average quarterback on a decent team.

Forgive for my paraphrasing. I know that's not word for word, but it's pretty close.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you had a great QB and the team only won 3 games it's because the rest of the team is garbage...but you'd have the QB situation solved so yeah that's better than having a bad QB on a team that wins a lot of games.

That doesn't have anything to do with last year since all we had was bad QB's. Our best QB that we put on the field was TJ Yates. The team was good, so I wanted them to make the playoffs. There's no since playing the worst QB on the roster and not making the playoffs which is what would have happened if Hoyer never got hurt.

Unfortunately BOB's personal relationship with Hoyer blinded him to the best interest of the team so injury was the only way the team had a chance.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The price when I initially heard it shocked me and annoyed me because of how much we paid.

Now that the dust has cooled, I am 100% happy with the move. Many scouts before Brock was drafted had him as a potential 1st round talent and I've read that he has possibly the highest upside in that draft. I've read a couple of times saying with the right coaching, he can be a truly special QB in the NFL.

Brock does hold the ball long, but again he's still raw in terms of analyzing defenses. It didn't help that Denver's offensive line was horrible and we all know how Kubes allows his QB's freedom to audible out of plays.

I've heard people say this is Ryan Mallet all over again, but only thing they are similar in is size + strong arm. Unlike Ryan Mallet, Brock's accuracy I've read was above-average multiple times. And also unlike Ryan Mallet who throws missiles on 5 yard passes, Brock is able to take heat of the ball.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

And I have not read anything suggesting that Osweiler has an attitude problem or cannot operate an alarm clock.

6. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

If you dont like either stop sucking or get off my team

We're paying them to play not them paying us to watch

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's pretty much impossible to be worse than Ryan Mallet.

That guy had worse stats than Tim Tebow and Vince Young, even in O'Briens QB friendly system.

Under 6.0 yards per attempt at 50% passing smh

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Come on you are talking about Bobby here. His whole thing is to be as abrasive as possible.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's overlooked, but one of Brock's strengths, particularly relevant to comparing him to Mallet, is his ability to successfully operate an alarm clock.

10. justtxyank

Doesn't it concern you that John Elway, a hall of fame alarm clock operator, didn't have faith in osweiler to operate the alarm clock in Denver?

1 person likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Your team? You're paying them to play? Who knew Bob McNair had an account. Good to know.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hold on..I'm thinking of something witty to respond with...give me a minute.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He has the nicest head of hair for any Texans QB since you-know-who.

Seriously, I dig the Adrien Brody thing he's got going on. Wish I had a head of hair like that.

1 person likes this.
  14. justtxyank

He's got a real pretty mouth.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are well compensated for those possibilities. They know the risk when they sign the contract and I prefer the team to not suck. When it really comes down to it, I don't care if they walk right again, I care if the team does well. Guess what? No fan really cares about the long term health of football players or they couldn't be a fan of football. You are only hypocritically pretending to care for the sake of this conversation, which is okay I guess.

That said, if the player was important to the team's success, of course you don't cheer....it's only in the instance of extreme incompetence where an injury would actually be a good thing for a team. I think you are missing that point.

16. liveguy

liveguy Member

And so you make him one of the top 10 highest paid QBs in the league....

Makes sense...

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wish this narrative, of all the narratives, would die a quick, painless death. QBs are not free; a certified career back-up, expected to continue being a career back-up (Chase Daniel) was just paid $7MM/year.

Brock Osweiler is a highly-regarded, 25-year old QB prospect. Guys like that *never* hit the market; it's unprecedented. The cost of doing business with Brock Osweiler was always going to be expensive.

2 people like this.
  18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Didn't say they were free, but there are clearly better options that didn't cost as much.

Yes you would have had to trade for them, but losing a 3rd or 4th or 5th wouldn't be so bad compared to overpaying and setting your team back 3 years based on hope.

Someone is WORTH it when their game shows it...

Contracts like that go to players that have played and showed their ability over an extended period of time to leave no doubts of the price tag being worth the cost.

Brock has major flaws in his game and the only thing that got him a pay day is because of pure thirsty and because his flaws haven't been exposed yet...but they will....and when they are then what?

You guessed it.... more of the same.

And I love how he found a way to mix the number "8" in somehow with the jersey number.

Good times ahead, indeed....

19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

The QB position is the most grossly underpaid position in sports. NBA players who don't have anywhere near the the effect as an NFL QB make much more, and the NFL is a much more profitable sport. People are starting to realize that the cost of a good QB is great, and has the most obvious outcome of any position in any sport. Sam Bradford just locked up the same amount for 2 years, and he's been TERRIBLE! The price for QBs has officially been reset IMO.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wait, are you saying you DIDN'T know that?? FOR YEARS, I've operated under the assumption that Trader_Jorge was actually Bob McNair.......