1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilds are actually a lot of fun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 20, 2021.

1. vince

vince Member

I was thinking about the situation the Rockets are in, with the current rebuilding squad.

And I gather that fans really like rebuilding because it takes pressure off of Winning and focuses on potential and progress.

Generally the honeymoon lasts about 3 years before expectations really start demanding win… Though by that time, depending on direction, GM’s and coaches might find themselves on hot seats if potential isn’t translating into wins..

So when a rebuilding team loses it doesn’t sting as bad because expectations are tapered off due to growth. They just have to win enough to show progress and how they are positively developing.

But, it seems that fans have a certain affinity towards a rebuilding. Of course, there will be bandwagon fans who only follow when the team is relevant and winning. But there is a badge folks seem to cling onto when they followed a team even in the thin times.

But I opine that many fans enjoy the rebuilding more than the championship pursuits. Hence the pursuit of a dream is more fulfilling than achieving that dream.

I’m still shocked / angry how our Championship caliber Rockets were imploded, and those guys are carrying heavy loads for other championship level teams. We had a good team that got detonated into oblivion.

When a team you saw grow into a capable contender falls short, and you see those same players catapult other teams into the championship, it’s deflationary. Especially when those players were still playing at high levels; and all because of big ego’s.

Nevertheless, I’ll be sitting here watching this next rebuilding project. And I’m sure I’m going to enjoy it too….

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's fun for now. Hopefully Rockets don't end up threading water like Minnesota, Sacramento, Detroit, New Orleans, Orlando have for what seems an eternity.

mikol13, ElDobleK, Easy and 14 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I dunno, I was around after Moses left and while it was great to get back to back number 1s....that first year where we won like 15 games was awful.

DD

Rocket River, ElDobleK, Easy and 3 others like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I wanna do dis foreva

hakeem94, hajkov, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's fun in 2k

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The offseasons are fun. The actual games are terrible.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Waterbending? I’m down

ElDobleK and burlesk like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, half the people posting now stopped watching the team play midway through this season…

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Those game threads were definitely short :D.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam.. i missed them

hakeem94, burlesk and ElPigto like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

Well though true, is that a bad thing? A fan doesn’t have to watch the games to be a fan… With accesible videos of the games, if they are going to lose anyhow, why not just watch the highlights on YouTube?

Plus, with folks cutting cable across the country, many of us don’t have access to the games besides going to a sports bar.

hakeem94 and burlesk like this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Great outlook!

by the way, is your last name Carter?

vince likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

were barely getting past 10 pages the last 2 months of the season…average game thread during the Harden era would be like 70+ pages

hakeem94, YOLO, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I literally watched one single game last season. But to me, being a fan is about a lot more than just watching the games. Right now I am focusing on the organization and their direction and the decisions and options available to us. I really enjoyed following Morey through his tenure here and I'm hoping to enjoy Stone just as much.

hakeem94, burlesk and Reeko like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Well if a rebuild is so much fun, shouldn’t people be watching all the L’s? All that stuff was available during the Harden era, but you’d never see game threads 8-10 pages long like we saw all this season. Game threads used to reach that many pages before the game even started.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

I'd imagine more engagement in preseason/games after we draft... judging by the Jalen Green Should be the Pick thread vs the Kevin Porter Jr. - How Good Can He Be page count it looks like there will be more interest.

burlesk and Reeko like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If they get Green or Cunningham and lesser extent Mobley. I will be watching much more next season. The only time I watched at all this year at the end was to see a bit of KPJ. I will still be wanting them to lose though the next two seasons.

Then I’ll flip the switch and hope they win everything. While hoping the nets crater to the center of the earth and give the rockets 3 #1 picks.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The pressure is off and W/Ls aren't as important. It is more about player development. It is fun to draft YOUR GUY and have a team of home grown talent. You dream of POTENTIAL. There is HOPE.

BUT, over time those feelings only last so long. This is like a honeymoon period with young talent. Enjoy it now until the pressure TO WIN GAMES becomes a factor.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s fun when the team has a young cornerstone to pass it too. And are progressive and have a direction to follow.

that’s what made 99 and 2000 interesting. We had Steve to watch and though his career didn’t pan out how we want, he was very exciting to watch his first years with Houston. . His first year you saw him grow , then his second year he took the leap and so did the rockets. We catapulted to a young playoff team who just missed. cuttino and Francis looked like a backcourt of the future for the nba.

We don’t have that right now with Wall leading the way and I’m not blaming Wall. He didn’t ask for this situation to be in. He’s in his prime years and want to compete. It’s hard to be attached to KPj when I have to worry about more than jsut basketball with him.

It’s why I constantly post I miss Yao. That guy jsut was a consummate professional who loved and respected the game. He was a student of the game. That’s why I prefer the Green pick from what I read he’s a basketball junkie who stays in the gym working on his game. Obsessed like Kobe. I initially Wanted Mobley but keep reading reports that basketball Isn’t his passion

burlesk, Dobbizzle and vince like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been so long since we've experienced this. Yeah, I'm digging it.

burlesk likes this.