1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilding without Tanking makes assets look better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

While the Rockets got the best non playoff team distinctions for three years straight as while as known a mediocre 1st round team for 5 to 6 years before that (the magical "I'll see you at the club" season excluded). I think there were actually basketball benefits from this situation. That is our players that we end up trading do not have the "good stats on a bad team" distinction.

Just look the trade pieces for Harden. Would we have gotten K-Mart for Carl Landry if he didn't contribute on a playoff team? Would we have been able to move up 2 spots for Lamb with Dalembert if he didn't play on a winning basketball team (remembered we signed him cheap as a FA with a 2nd year team option)? Would Lowry have gotten us a guaranteed lottery pick if he wasn't a main cog on a borderline play off team? I don't think so.

Then you look at all the other small moves that actually gained real assets such as a 1st round pick and Goran for Aaron Brooks. A first round pick for Chase Bundinger. Heck we were even able to get second round picks for players not in our future such as Courtney Lee and Camby, because they played on winning teams, and if all it cost a couple of second round picks for a teams to sign them, teams are willing to part with them.

I've stated my dislike for tanking before (most of the time you don't get a savior. You either get a real bust like Thabeet, a mediocre player like Bagani, or you end up having to overpay Rudy Gay when his rookie contract is up). But I think if you really have a capable front office that can field a competitive every season, your marginal assets look that much better and makes it that much easier to make small moves toward the goal of finally landing the star you need. And even if you don't get the super star you need, I think Morey would just be one or two years away of putting together a Denver Nugget like team, with a much better cap situation, which can help when trying to lure a big time FA.

2 people like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

You have a very good point. I've never seen any benefit to tanking. There are many teams who tank, and very few get lucky enough to have it work out. Most just stay bad for years and years. Not about that as a fan. I want a competative team, eventually things will go our way.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Another thing is that truly tank, you'll have to pretty much give away most of your better assets to really get bad in a hurry. Then you end up like the Cavs (Kyrie Irving), the Hornets (Eric Gordan), the Wizards (John Wall), and the Kings (Cousins). You might be able to get that franchise cornerstone, but unless you get Lebron, the amount of time and effort needed to turn around the team before a complacency of losing sets in goes by real quick.

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Another thing that adds to your point is how much worse the players we have let go or traded have played since they left. There are exceptions to this of course, but overall what it shows is that the value we (as fans) and other the NBA placed on these players was inflated due to the moderate success the team had while we had those players.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

And even Cleveland managed to never win a title in their years with LeBron. Goes to show even if you get hands down the best player in the NBA via tanking, it still doesn't guarantee you a title.

Basketball is a team sport, need to have a strong supporting cast, not just a superstar.

Rockets are beginning to show the makings of both. Just 1-2 pieces and a year or two of developing away from contending.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Cavs screwed up building a team around James. James made them competitive, but they weren't exactly careful with how they rounded out the roster. Tanking got them James. Bad free agency and drafting did the rest of the damage.

I respect how Morey wants to be very careful about the next big deal/signing. He knows that if you screwup that cap space, you end up with an incomplete squad with little maneuverability.

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

That's for sure, since you need players not perform to tank, so no one would look good in that situation.

But if you constantly be average, it's hard to get anything good in return. Harden is a special case, the Rockets just got lucky.

8. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

Tanking is not really surefire, it only worked for OKC since they managed to get good picks 3 years in a row. Much prefer Daryl's rebuild.

9. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

Rockets too proud to tank.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

We got lucky. Tanking would require the same thing.

Had the Wizards not been complete morons and traded Beal for Harden, they'd be looking really good DUE TO TANKING.

There are only so many superstars in the NBA, I'm glad the Rockets found a way to get one.

The Rockets NOW look like a team that can lure another big name, who knows which one, but we now have the ability to do it.

11. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

We're lucky we got Harden rather than Gasol, Bynum, or Dwight. Superstars don't always stay superstars.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Role players on winnings teams have better value in trades than role players on losing teams.

But even role players on winning teams aren't valued as highly as say a previous top 7 pick, as long as it wasn't a really bad pick.

I'm just glad we didn't have to tank to get here. But we were lucky to get Harden, Asik and Lin together in trade/free agent signings in the same year. Otherwise, the Rockets would be in the lottery and people calling for a complete tank and losing interest in the team.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great observation OP. the second part of the equation is making sure we sell high. We didn't do that with Brooks, Pat or Scola (well, we tried with Scola). Can't fall in love with our players.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

You're not giving enough credit to say "the Rockets just got lucky". Morey planned and built for years to make his own luck. The whole idea behind his tanking-less rebuild was to build up assets and keep pushing for an opportunity, then seize it when it arrived.

You only see the one time it succeeded, so you chalk it up to luck... when in fact, he was going to succeed eventually, it was just a matter of time, because he kept trying again and again and building up a larger and larger pile of chips to offer.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For some reason , I read this as "Tanning makes your ass look better"

16. Aruba77

not if you stay out in the sun too long without sunscreen. The blisters are finally gone, but i'm getting hot flashes and i can barely sit down. Taking a dump is also a private hell.

17. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

By nature, tanking is more risky..........

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Totally disagree. OKC called every team with high lottery picks the past years for a Harden trade. They talked to Washington about Beal, Bobcats about MKG+stuff, supposedly Thompson+stuff from Golden State, Kanter+stuff from Utah, etc. And that's just what I've read. In other words, they wanted a top-5 draft talent to be part of the package received for Harden. But everyone else found the asking price too much.

Harden became a Rocket in large part because half the league are run by people who can't judge basketball talent to save their lives. The people who drafted Thabeet #2 or Wesley Johnson #4 or Johnny Flynn #6. He became a Rocket because many supposed "experts" around the league weren't even sure if Harden was worth a max contract.

I bet you if Morey was given the option to fast forward seasons the way you can in a video game, he would've just tanked instead. But the real world doesn't work that way, and 20 win seasons are unacceptable from an ownership and sponsorship standpoint. So he didn't tank.

1 person likes this.
  19. Aruba77

give this man whatever he wants. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

too early to tell. Will Harden + mediocre players win anything in Houston?

Tanking can get Rockets more assets, for free.