1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuild NO?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Aug 31, 2008.

?

Rebuild it again?

1. yes

27 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. no

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Gustav hits is it just time to abandon the city? The city is under sea level where hurricanes always hit. What is the justification of going back there.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It hasn't really been rebuilt the first time.

Do it right (levees, reestablishing the sediment deposits that make the LA coast, etc.) and let's see what happens.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Crap, I hit yes but I'm definitely a no. It's a waste of time and money. If Houston was in the same situation, regardless of the fact that I was born or raised here, I'd move and say the same thing.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The city forefathers must have been drunk when they decided to build there in the first place.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Rebuilding New Orleans would cost about 3 months worth of what we spend on the war in Iraq.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If they also rebuild the levees to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane, I say go right ahead.

Speaking of which, anyone know whether the levees were rebuilt to handle another strong storm in aftermath of Katrina? Or are they just as vulnerable now?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They only been rebuilt to withstand a Cat 3 Hurricane from what I have heard

Rocket River
    . . of course you rebuild it. It is a VERY important port city

8. rocketanalyist

They will always build New Orleans. It will never be left to be just a ghost town no matter how many hurricanes hit it.

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Aside: I was browsing this board as a guest right now and it reminded me how great the board is with signatures turned off.

10. rocketanalyist

You mean cause your signature sucks? :rolleyes:

11. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Your sig is fine, just way too many colors.

On topic, I think NOLA will be rebuilt. There is way too much petrochemical activity in that area for it to be left to die.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We have to wait until Gustav hits & assess the damage and you have to define "rebuild". Do you mean try to restore it to what it was before Katrina? No. But we can't abandon the city.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's where the mouth of the Mississippi River meets the Gulf of Mexico. It's way too strategic to entirely abandon. It is where it is because of that location...because it has to be there.

We need to get serious about the infrastructure deterioration we've allowed in this country...and get serious about building some real levees that can withstand even doomsday scenarios in a city as strategically located as NOLA is.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree on the port section. The rest of the city needs to be plowed under and abandoned. The port workers can be carried in by bus or rail from interior cities that are on higher, permanent ground. When a storm comes, the port can be buttoned down, and port workers can stay inland where they are safe. Dixieland jazz will sound just as good in Fluker or Montpelier, LA.

15. MadMax

Unrealistic to expect people to get bused or trained in to a port.

Honestly, we can debate it all day long....NOLA will be rebuilt...and the levees should be built RIGHT. No more piecemeal and broken promises. NOLA is important not just to people who live there.

No way in the world we're going to plow under and abandon the Garden District and/or the French Quarter.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You're right. Let them sink into the marshes on their own.

17. MadMax

I'd rather find a way to preserve them, thanks. Protect the port and the city.

18. Landlord Landry

Sell it back to France. 1/2 price.

19. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Only if it becomes the pinnacle of hurricane protection, I'm talking about top of the line, not "getting by". The city should have a state of the art system.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Agreed, what happened to this country? They're building islands in other parts of the world. Japan made an island and put an airport on it. Yet people here would let a major american city die even though rebuilding it would cost only a quarter of what we've spent annually on the war in Iraq.