1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reason behind why Tilman is cheap.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

First, he has wanted to own the Rockets for nearly 30 years. He tried but couldn’t get the financing to buy them when Les Alexander bought them. He also wants to leave the team to his kids, especially his sons. It is safe and stable and they will never want for anything as long as they own the team.

Second, if you are a billionaire and buy $20 suits, then you are a dumbass. This is especially true for someone like Tilman that is so concerned about what others think of him. He loves the lime light.

Third, I am really rooting for his entertainment investments to plummet to the point that he is forced to sell the Rockets. While I appreciate the hard work Tilman has done with UH, he has been a very bad owner with the Rockets.

Fourth, he is an *******. People hate working with and for him. He pays poorly and has little if any empathy for anyone but his direct family.

Matt78777, Gray_Jay, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Some people think I’m ******* too....others say I’m the most thoughtful person ever...it all depends who you ask.

raining threes and Corrosion like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

The 19$ suits story is corny BS.

The guy lies about anything and everything, especially if he believes it enhances his story somehow.

joshuaao, bmelo, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t hear many people calling Tilman a good person. He isn’t the first ******* to own a sports franchise but he still is one.

joshuaao, raining threes, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

If his goal is to sell the Rockets eventually to make more money, then being cheap won't do. For him to sell Rockets at a profit, he needs to bring in quality players and get deep into the playoffs consistently. Besides getting instant fame all over the US by purchasing the Rockets, his move to buy the team might be to promote his other hospitality businesses.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

People called Dan Gilbert an ******* too but at least he spent into the LT for a contending team.

But here in Houston, we have the penny pinching *******. lovely.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

This. If he wants to be an ******* that treats his employees poorly and has unrealistic demands, he can at least put his money where his mouth is... instead he dodges the tax, complains about paying his players and wants to pay his coaching staff like they run a Joe’s Crab Shack and not an NBA team.... **** that guy!

Joshfast, Gray_Jay, joshuaao and 7 others like this.
  8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

LMAO! This dumb**** sirbaihu is still here defending tilmen. Almost forgot about you. Theres no way this impoverished little dipshit isnt on tilmen's payroll. Go **** yourself you brainless animal

9. jayland

jayland Member

Not really. The value of all NBA teams have been going up every year. Even for perennial losers like the Knicks. Take a look at the Knicks valuation over the years. https://www.statista.com/statistics/194666/franchise-value-of-the-new-york-knicks/ 10 years ago the Knicks were valued at $600 million. Now they are valued at $4.6 billion.

This is the valuation of the Rockets. https://www.statista.com/statistics/194655/franchise-value-of-the-houston-rockets/ Valued at $470 million in 2010 and worth $2.5 billion now.

Tilman's original plan was probably to buy the Rockets and hold onto it for a few years until he can flip for at least a billion over his purchase price. And in the meantime use the Chinese business connections of the Rockets to help expand his restaurant business in China.

Gray_Jay and raining threes like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sounds more like some kinky domination stuff. Not a good plan - you could get yourself in a world of hurt....

Rudyc281, Nook and daywalker02 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

I really was neutral when he came despite all posters ******** on him. I gave him time... he started with letting Ariza go which pissed the **** out of me and the longer he is owner the less I like the Rockets. It's unbelievable how much difference owner make

bleedroxred79 and Nook like this.
  13. raining threes

The American economy was at an all time high before the Chinese put a plague on the world. If businesses were going bankrupt then that was because of mismanagement

Rudyc281 and tinman like this.
  14. raining threes

He sold T-Bone Tom's and the Seafood place to his managers that helped him get the Kemah Boardwalk off of the ground for cheap. So he's not as bad as some make him out to be. My former bookkeeper does payroll for them.

I don't get the fascination some people have with other people's money. With that said he's run the Rockets on the cheap.

#34 raining threes, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can people stop bringing up Ariza....he got PAID 15 mill a year even morey I’m sure wasn’t going to sign him to a deal like that.

And can people stop believing that just because Ariza walked that made this team fall apart. Like Trevor was some kind of star for us or like he was this huge piece we couldn’t afford to let go.

Never seen so many people whine over Trevor freakin Ariza smh.

Oh by the way since he was the huge star or this damn good of a player what has he done since he left the rockets I’ll wait...

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

He was essential to our system. We needed to trade Capela for Covington to get the same(maybe slightly better) level of switching ability. We could of have Ariza AND Capela

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ariza is a better individual defender than Covington, but that's about it. Ro-co is more athletic and is a better shooter too. Ariza was already starting to slow down before he left, but there is no doubt our defense suffered in his absence. Clint was useful on P/R offense, but his defense and rebounding was already declining slowly. He was badly exposed by Draymond Green.

Westbrook wasn't fitting in with Clint. Chris Paul , Harden and Clint would have worked better along with Ariza, but additional three point shooting /defense was still needed to get to the top. Ryan Anderson's failure hurt us very badly.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It was more like being devastated by a hurricane, not getting enough insurance funds to truly rebuild, making do anyway and then having the president enforce a tariff that the effect was having businesses triple our materials price and effectively ending any chance we had to compete with bigger companies that already drive prices lower than what we could turn a profit on anyway.

But hey, it was probably my fault.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Owner of a team makes all the difference. Trust me....I know as I live in Cincinnati with the worst owner in all of sports history- Mike Brown (Bengals). He took over a proud franchise in 1990 (2 Super Bowls in the 80’s) and it has been a disaster season after season after decade after decade. Fearing that the same thing may be happening to my beloved Rockets :(.

saleem likes this.