1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reason #59841275 I get sick listening to Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LSSLAMBAM, Nov 7, 2017.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bill is great. We are lucky to have him.

2. dwhite

dwhite Member

I am against banning OPs for giving opinions, but this is one case where it needs to be done. Worrell is an absolute legend and it freaked me out that he almost retired last year to the point of thinking of getting rid of the NBA ticket if forced to listen to Ackerman on a full time basis. Please close this thread on the chance that it may get back to Worrell.

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  3. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

give the dude a break he's like 180 years old....

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

I like Bill even though he is a complete Homer. He gives compliments about other teams and players too.
    But sometimes his homerism defies logic.

Not a fan of Craig. Not very easy on the ears.
    Calvin even more so. A GREAT player, but I'd rather listen to Rosie O'Donnell sing karaoke
    over a full game of Calvin doing commentary. Something about his voice grates on me.
    Don't like to see bad things happen to people, but was relieved when he was pulled from the
    air years ago after all of those skeletons came falling out of the closet.
    He has good insights as a player, and don't mind him in a 'spot' role at halftime

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Bill is amazing. "And the crowd wants D." Bill Worrell 2017.

6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

"OG went O.M.G with that 4 point play"

7. aroundtheblock2

Are you sure he wasn't saying something like, "it seems like it was just last season that he was with OKC in the playoffs" as sort of way to describe how time has flown by...

8. Mr. Space City

in an era where every sports commentator (except jvg) hates harden and the rockets, i welcome bill's homerism.

it's funny to me when non-rockets fans get our feed and cry about how much of a homer he is lol.

D-rock, Von Rafer and ramotadab like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He wasn't, it was definitely the way LSSLAMBAM described it.

I remember thinking as soon as he said it, that definitely isn't right Bill.

I think Bull at least would realise he's wrong on some occasions but just goes with it.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

i listened to the toronto broadcast tonight. man.. so many teams just blow our crew out of the water with actual insightful analysis and statistics on BOTH teams. the toronto guys were very complimentary of harden and the team.

also bill said kyle went to toronto in free agency.. the fact that he doesn't remember we traded him to toronto for a 1st round pick that we used in the harden trade.. christ

fiersdownbelow and LSSLAMBAM like this.
  11. dischead

dischead Member

Bill is the best commentator the Rockets have. I couldn't care less about his occasional mistakes. Road games are painful to listen without him.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

last nite due to a crappy laggy LP feed, i had to switch from the rockets broadcast to the knicks one after halftime. and the difference was stark. the knicks feed was professional, balanced, and above all informative. they went into depth about capela's childhood, things i had never heard in several years from our clowns. they discussed CP3's shooting numbers in previous seasons. as well as prince luc's. no silly hollow banter just to fill up the timeslot. meanwhile, in the first half worrell had mentioned that our next 4 games will be at home. i figured he probably meant we were in the middle of a 4-game homestand and not that the next actual 4 games were at home too. still i had to doublecheck. his ***-ups are starting to get annoying every single game, and together with the clown crew on either side of him, the rockets broadcast is not befitting of a proud franchise and current conference leader such as ours.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There might be some other good local commentators, but there are also some far worse than Bill. I've been annoyed by broadcasters so much that I have to mute the TV. Dallas comes to mind, and then maybe Portland? Golden State? It's easy to forget since I see them so infrequently... But it's a huge mixed bag.

Bill is a legend and I welcome him to stay as long as health permits. I'm quite sure we will all find ways to complain about whomever replaces him.

One thing that tempers Bill and Bulls homerisn is their goofy nature. They don't take themselves too seriously. For that reason alone I prefer them over a slew of other broadcast crews.

14. rockets13champs

Craig is boring at times tho. He sounds like he’s announcing a high school basketball game. If Craig improves his excitement to more of a bill level I’d have more fun hearing his calls

Pen15clubber and Richie_Rich like this.
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

At least our commentary crew poke jokes at each other

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Mike Breen is one of the best commentators in the whole comp

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, that is confusing. I have no idea what it means, either. But I'm not sure if I should blame it on Bill or you.

D-rock likes this.
  18. fiersdownbelow

This. I was listening to the Knicks feed too and their commentary was excellent. Like you said, I'd never heard any of that stuff about Capela before. They were totally on point throughout and put our dudes to shame.

Not saying I hate our homers or that there aren't worse ones out there, but they could be better, much better in fact. Like our shitty crowds during the RS.

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@pippendagimp

Yeah, no crew matches up with the Knicks. It’s unfair to compare anyone to them, as I’m sure Breen gets paid the big bucks. Most in his situation would quit doing local broadcasts.

RocketWalta and D-rock like this.
  20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Is it just me or have they sounded drunk the past few games? Especially last night. All 3 of them were all over the place

Pen15clubber likes this.