1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

REALISTIC players the Rockets can get this year or next.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Habby52, Apr 23, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I see, you're one of those fans who ignores talent past 30 :rolleyes:

Some of the best players the game has seen were still kicking ass well into their 30s. Again, it's would be a final attempt at winning now, and there's no doubt that team is considerably better than what we have now.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

And if he does then lets throw money at Ibaka. They're both going to expect big contracts and they won't be able to sign both.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Eric Gordon: Restricted, no chance.
    Jamaal Crawford: KMart-type as in talent
    Tracy Mcgrady: Is JVG, or Yao coming too?

Realistically, the Rockets got bulldozed by stronger frontline teams. Primary focus should be an offensive C/PF, anything less is tanking this offseason.

4. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

BOSHHHHH he's so undervalued right now.

Obviously if we can get howard we do it.

If there is anyway in hell we can get harden we do it. ANY WAY. I mean I'd trade anyone for him. both first rounders + future first rounder + budinger + ppat + motie... and whatever else they want.

Depending on how philly does, go for iguodala.

Paul Milsap.

Pekovic. Asik. Illysova. Udoh. Alrich.

Julyan Stone out of Denver.

Taj Gibson. James Singleton.

Honestly we just need to get rid of scola, ppat, martin, and let lee walk.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Not likely, Harden has superstar talent & OKC doesen't even start him.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If Miami doesn't make it to the Championship, Bosh will be available.:cool:

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Why are people so high on Austin Rivers? Did any of you guys watch Duke games this season or did you just watch Sportscenter and find his mixes on Youtube?

8. nadman89

nadman89 Member

ray allen , kg , eric gordon , harden , ilyasova , jamal

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

FAs:

Spencer Hawes: Definitely could get a player like that.

Brook Lopez: Injury prone, restricted free agent though. Still, the Nets could let him go, if they want to go in another direction.

Kris Humphries: It's a possiblity, especially if we lose Scola or Patterson in a trade, and are unable to draft starting power forward. Alot of posters are counting on Motiejunas to be an immediate starter, when it's a big question mark to know if he is NBA-ready, yet. He might need a year or so off the bench, especially if he struggles early on.

Anthony Randolph

Chris Kaman

Nick Young

JR Smith

Eric Gordon or James Harden: Might be pricey.

Jose Calderon: If we somehow trade Lowry, yet failed to resign Dragic could want to explore his options (it happens quite often, especially if a team throws a boatload of money at him). Which leads to this next choice.

Deron Williams: If Dragic becomes to pricey, while Lowry also wants out or is traded. Houston might as well enter the name into the Williams sweepstakes.

Jeremy Lin: That situation will be interesting. He's also an unrestricted free agent. He may get some offers that dwarfs Dragic's offers. Personally, I think Lin would thrive better, outside of New York or a team without Melo and Amare.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Rookies (pick 2):

Jeremy Lamb
    Meyers Leonard
    Damian Lilliard
    Moe Harkless
    Tyler Zeller
    Austin Rivers
    Jared Sullinger
    Perry Jones III
    Arnett Moultrie
    Terrence Ross
    Terrence Jones
    John Henson
    Royce White
    Tony Wroten

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Realistically there are three options.

A. Trade for an All-Star (pipe dream)
    B. Continue the Course
    C. Strip pieces to further build around youth & Draft

Notice free agent signings aren't in the main options, but rather A.1, or B.2. Also minor trades could be A.2. or B.1. So lets go through each scenario and see what type of players would fit in that scenario, and some names we can throw in the mix.

A.- Star Trade- We are looking at trading for a Dwight Howard, or someone similar. Low probability, and all free agent signings, and secondary trades come after the fact. You dont know who the right fit is around that player because you dont know who that player is going to be.

If you do get a superstar to trade for, you have to feel good about the surrounding pieces the Rockets would have left with the depth of role players already on this team. They would more than likely be better options then picking up a Jamal Crawford, or a Nick Young.

B.- Combo of building through draft/Youth & staying competitive. What do the Rockets need to win? Low post scoring, and a backup PG for whichever PG is left this Summer between Lowry/Dragic

Low Post Options-
    -Pau Gasol(trade)
    -trading for either Millsap or Jefferson(trade)
    -Kaman(free agent)
    -Brooks Lopez (RFA)

Those are the best 4 situations that fit what the Rockets need to help McHale's system work, and in theory make the surrounding young pieces better because they will have these players to play off of.

Backup PG Options-

-Kirk Hinrich (UFA)
    -DJ Augustin (RFA)

C.- Building through Youth & Draft- Here your really just looking at high potential pickups either through the draft or free agency. IMO, there really isn't alot of options to go after in free agency that really have that "breakout star" potential outside of -

Eric Gordon - (RFA) - new ownership will most likely match any offer up to possibly the max.

In this scenario, you are better off swining for the fences through the draft rather than signing any free agent that isnt really going to help your overall goal or stump the growth of your youth. Throwing a vet in the mix can do wonders for player development, but it has to be the right vet at the right point in his career.

These to me, are the shortlist of players that actually make sense to make a play for in any situation. Low scoring options should be priority in all three categories, but most likely situation B. which is to stay the course to continue to build through youth while staying competetive. The backup PG position will be something they most likely have to address unless they bring back both Lowry & Dragic which is highly unlikely.

12. smokieethabear

13. johnnyonthespot

We should go strong after Josh Smith.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm looking at Sacramento sitting at 4 where Drummond is slotted. Cousins is obviously blossoming. Something's gotta give there......Howard, Gasol, etc....

IMO - Kyle, Kevin, and our picks are moving out for a stud 5.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Based on how we address our other needs, I'm still interested in getting Nene. Ideally, we'd move Scola and give Nene the starting spot. He can play next to Camby or play center next to any PF.

Yeah, he's injury prone and on a giant contract, but I'm tired of having no center on the floor in the fourth quarter. I'm also tired of seeing no low post options. Nene addresses both issues and I think he's available.

16. Stilldream'n34

Greg Monroe from Detroit. It would take a draft pick or two and taking on a contract like Ben Gordon or Charlie Villanueva.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're all tired of having no post options, but right now it would be prudent to be patient. You've already mentioned two big reasons(monster salary,injuries) as to why NeNe wouldn't be our best choice. Also, I've always thought he was soft on the boards... and while he might be efficient on the offensive end, Nene's lacking on D, something I really believe we need. Yes, he's a good position defender, but we need that shotblocker/eraser. I've always seen him as overrated and now, ridiculously overpaid...plus I want youth anyway.

In fact, this is exactly the kind of move that I fear. One that would help make us perpetually good without any chance of winning anything. Les improves attendance and we get a few more W's, with the illusion of contender status.

#57 Plowman, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Till the day we see Josh Smith out of a Hawks uni I say we trade Lowry and Scola + filler for Smith, Teague, and Hinrich.

Tracy could be used in place of Hinrich but no thanks OP, I'm sure morey will have the same objection.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I agree with you on all points. I didn't mean that we should get Nene just to marginally improve our team. He would only be useful if we 1) acquire a franchise player at another position and 2) comes cheaply. If we decide to build via the draft, forget him.

20. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I'm on board with being the team that signs past-their-prime superstars as a trend. That's the only way we can both justify the uneasiness of an in-season star injury and finally get refs on our side. Reach out to the baby boomers, Les. They have a lot of disposable income.