1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic best and worst case scenarios from now until the start of the 2010 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Jul 17, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Whats the best case Grumpy McGrumperton?

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Worser case: Win some games, get into the playoffs as the 8 seed, get swept out of the playoffs by Artest and the Lakers. Have zero chance at the lottery or even a top 16 pick. Lose key players over the next couple years (Scola, Brooks, Landry) because they price themselves out of our range. Lose Daryl Morey to become Boston's GM replacing Ainge.

How's that for a Sunday morning letdown?!

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The one thing that I don't hope for is that Ariza becomes another Battier!!!
    I would rather see Ariza grow in his game to becomee like another Robert Hory. In doing so he might be the one who is good at passing into Yao Ming when he is set up and calling for the ball!!! :p :p

4. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

I said trade them for a good player like a star, i dont think battier is anywhere near a star, and scola is good but not a star, so i dont think it would tank us

5. Raven

Raven Member

The absolute best case scenario is in the my signature, that the Rockets get the number one pick in the lottery. What would be even better would be trading Scola at the deadline (since there are plausible reasons why he won't be re-signed) for an additional first round pick, giving us two 2010 first round picks. Add a nice 2010 free agent to the mix and the Rockets could be right back in the mix by the 2011 playoffs.

6. thething

thething Contributing Member

Best Case: Morey makes a Pau Gasol type trade and T-Mac comes back strong while everyone else is playing well, and we win a couple game 7s in overtime to bring home a championship.

Worst Case: Trevor Ariza, Aaron Brooks, Luis Scola, and Carl Landry, while driving, get hit by a truck, causing career-ending injuries. Daryl Morey gets hit on the head by a Knicks fan, and he trades Shane, Lowry, draft rights to Budinger, and two 1st rounders for Eddy Curry. We use our injury exceptions to sign Steve Francis and Ryan Bowen to longterm deals. Yao and Mcgrady miss the season. Brian Cook gets a contract extension.

7. Meddy1204

Meddy1204 Member

Perfect Solution for both of you. We totally rebuild but do it in 1 year.

Houston gets Jerryd Bayless, Rudy Fernandez, Nicolas Batum, Carlos Boozer and the Knicks 1st round pick (owned by Utah)
    Houston trades Kyle Lowry, Shane Battier, Luis Scola and Brent Barry

Portland gets Kyle Lowry, Shane Battier and Luis Scola
    Portland trades Jerryd Bayless, Rudy Fernandez and Nicolas Batum

Utah gets Brent Barry (therefore saving about 10 million dollars)
    Utah trades Carlos Boozer and New York's first round pick

Houston then trades Carlos Boozer's expiring contract to a contending team for equal expiring contracts for a crappy player and that teams first round pick.

2009-2010 Rotation
    PG - Aaron Brooks/Jerryd Bayless/
    SG - Rudy Fernandez/Chase Budinger/Jermaine Taylor
    SF - Trevor Ariza/Nicolas Batum/James White/Tracy McGrady
    PF - Carl Landry/Joey Dorsey/Brian Cook/(expiring contract acquired for Boozer)
    C - David Anderson/Chuck Hayes/Yao Ming

Exciting young team that fans should come out to watch but will not win a lot of games leaving us a high lottery pick. (along with 2 other acquired first round picks.
    Do not let McGrady play again this season.(maybe trade him for expiring contracts of crappy players at the trade deadline for a first round draft pick)
    Let Barry, Cook and McGrady's contracts expire.
    Sign Chris Bosh in the offseason.
    Draft Derrick Favors with first round pick
    Yao is ready to play again in 2010-2011

2010-2011 Rotation
    PG - Aaron Brooks/Jerryd Bayless
    SG - Rudy Fernandez/Chase Budinger/Jermaine Taylor
    SF - Trevor Ariza/Nicolas Batum
    PF - Chris Bosh/Carl Landry/Joey Dorsey/Chuck Hayes
    C - Yao Ming/Derrick Favors/David Anderson

Win a championship with the twin towers(Bosh and Yao), young shooters (Brooks, Bayless, Fernandez, Budinger, Ariza, Batum) and young and athletic back-up post players (Favors, Landry).

8. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

we have done fine without tmac and yao in tough situations... i think we will be ok. and this time with a team that will be would used to playing with te same players.. 30-35 sounds exaggerated. We're still gonna make it to the play off this year.

Best case. Players like Scola and Araon going to step up. and wild card players deveoping like Chase Dosery and Anderson.

worst case. Ariza wont produce. however i have confidence in him and think he will fit in just right even shine

9. Miguel09

Miguel09 Member

Best Case: McLady Dosent play

Worst Case: Someone actually buys one of her #3 McLady jerseys

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you obviously put a lot of thought into your post. thank you

11. Miguel09

Miguel09 Member

your welcome I just try to share my opinion and hope people react positively.

12. redao

redao Member

Worst case: Rockets is sold to JVG for $50.
    Best case: Rockets is moved to San Diego.

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Best case: Things stay the same, entertainment field continues on its merry way.

Worst case: US/World economy crashes totally, bringing our beloved sports entities down with them.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

worst-case: barring significant new injuries, 40 wins this season. That's what I think. OTOH, if Ariza and Andersen get injured, maybe 30 wins.

best-case: by playoff time, Yao and Tracy are both back, playing well. All the other guys have gotten lots of playing time, and are gelling. Tracy is used to supplement the rest of the team, not to dominate. We don't have players standing around watching him on offense. If all this works out, we could win the championship.

It could happen!

15. pbthunder

Damn! I missed this one! THIS is the worst-case scenario!

Plus, I don't know, it rains every day in Houston, we get really big roaches, very bad traffic, maybe get a hurricane, high humidity and pretty high summer heat, ...

Cap and Trade devastates the oil industry...

16. Raven

Raven Member

I agree with part of your concern. Nothing would be more disastrous than winning 45 games and getting swept out of the first round. The only thing that's going to make the next 12 months tolerable is the hope of getting a high lottery pick.

17. sw847

sw847 Member

Exactly what i was thinking. Really, the worst thing that can happen is us making the playoffs as the 8th, 7th or 6th seed. we will loose in the first round and still have no chance at a high lottery pick.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Unrealistic best case scenario: Chase Budinger wins ROY, Jermaine Taylor blossoms into a young Dwayne Wade, Scola wins MVP, Kyle Lowry gets a killer 3 pt shot, starts over Aaron Brooks, and makes the All-Star team, T-mac returns to 2005 form, Rick Adelman finally wins a COTY, we secure the 1 seed in the playoffs, Yao Ming makes a miraculous recovery and returns in full strength for the playoffs, we sweep every round of the postseason and win the 2010 NBA Championship while Erin Andrews announces she is switching careers from sports reporting to hardcore p*rn star!

Unrealistic worst case scenario: Tom Clanton pulls a Brett Favre and returns as team doctor, T-mac flashes back to the Toronto game, Yao Ming retires due to injury, Les Alexander loses lots of money in business and fires Daryl Morey as a scapegoat, Morey signs with the Utah Jazz, turning them into NBA champs, everyone else on the team gets injured, Brian Cook is our leading scorer, we get the 9 seed and a low draft pick for 2011, and clutchfans gets hacked and gives all of us viruses.

19. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

We barely won around 52 games a season with Yao and Tmac. My estimate is the low 40's or high 30's. Gonna get a good draft pick which probably is better for us to hope for anyways. Tmac will be gone or let go. Yao will come back and we start over with Tmacs replaement and our high draft choice. Maybe we even trade it and a player for the first pick or second pick in the draft if we have a high enough pick? We could be top ten draft pick, Yao, and Tmacs contract player replacement. Think along the lines of Joe Johnson or Bosh. Thats something to look forward to. That is a real Championship plan instead of rushing Tmac back to try and get into the playoffs only for him to get injured again. I say let him take all the time it takes to heal completely.

20. pbthunder

worst-case: Les gets into financial trouble and has to sell the team.