1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic affordable coaching candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 13, 2020.

1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He prolly got some General Manager of a Landry’s on stand-by... just in case.

snowconeman22 and HP3 like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bill Simmons would be a good fit.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

...inside a piñata

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

JVG is a worse choice
    He don't know isht about offense

Rocket River

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There are a couple of promising managers at rainforest cafe due for a promotion.

HP3 likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm not a picky eater, so I'd wolf that down.

As far as affordable coaches... hind sight 20/20, imagine promoting Nick Nurse from the G-League, before he blew up.

MDA knows his market value, he's worth more than 5 mil / year now. Is our owner willing to spend the same or less? What is his coaching budget even. (rhetorical)

B-Bob likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

No Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson or Ty Lue please.

B-Bob and treyk3 like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How can I apply? I would do it for free as long as the team just agrees to pay my fines everytime I get a technical foul for cussing out the rigged officials.

I’d probably get ejected from every game I see a Tony Brothers or Scott Foster. My press conferences would be amazing.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Terrence Williams.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Play bruno.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Here are the tiers:

hard pass
    Jackson, Kidd, vaughn, mcmillan, donavan, brown, finch

Too Expensive
    Pop, JVG, Lue, bud if he gets fired, any college coach will want lots of money to give up their long term contracts (stackhouse, smart, Sampson)

Rebuilding coaches (known mostly for player development, not what we need)
    Atkinson, cassell, vanterpool, ham, mosely, tibbets, udoka

Defense and game management (things we need)
    Silas, Joerger, Larranaga, Hammon, Kalamain, Griffin

morey liked Silas, joerger, and griffin before MDA was picked by Les. he also like Vogel, Lue and JVG but with Vogel taken, and Lue/JVG probably out of the price range for Tillman, I'd consider Silas/joerger/griffin the top returning choices. dark horses being larranaga and hammon. long shots are kalamain, cassell, Sampson.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You haven’t heard Sam is coming home possibly.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I heard. I also heard they like JVG and Lue and even Kidd... all rumors. we have to tease out what we believe is real interest and what is leaked by the coaches agent just to get his clients name attached to a HC vacancy. to do that you have to use what you know of the coach, and what you know the team needs, and what you know morey wants.

we know morey was interested in defensive minded coaches 4 years ago. he wanted to interview Vogel, JVG, jorger, griffin... he did interview Silas and I believe put him on a short list. all until Les said he wanted a fun team and hired MDA. we know the team could still use a defensive coach and someone who excels at game management and superstar management. so what do we know of the coaches rumored to be linked to the rockets? for example sam cassell. beloved championship PG, but a player development coach. that's not the skillset to lead this team to a championship. if we wanted to blow it up and rebuild around draft picks, sam is the guy to get them to the next level. but he's not the defensive technician morey wants.

in short, the team needs haven't changed in 4 years. we still need a defensive tactician who can manage superstars. that means Morey's old list is still valid. Vogel is taken, JVG and Lue will demand too much money for Tillman to pay. that leaves Silas, joerger and griffin.

will the rockets still interview sam? probably. could be to help him get some attention for other vacancies. interviewing with the rockets legitimizes him as a candidate. again, he's a hometown hero but not the right fit.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl didn’t fire Mike’s assistants... and Tilman wouldn’t spend the money on good assistant coaches.

Having said that, Daryl needs to let his head coach pick his own assistants. A lot of front offices are starting to pick at least some assistants, but if your owner won’t spend the money to get top assistants, at least let the head coach pick his cheap assistants.

Deuce likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Sorry if already mentioned . What about elston turner ? Prolly not highly thought of but that makes him cheaper . #1 defense in the bubble* .

plus isn’t he a big man , doesn’t that mean he knows the value of the big man and the lethal midrange shot :)

oh and I’ve heard he’s black

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman or (more likely) Daryl fired Mike's assistants. Why were they let go? "Ask Daryl."

"D’Antoni’s staff will have a different look next season.

“That’s the hard part because you develop such close relationships. I thought Jeff and everybody under him did a great job,” D’Antoni said. “You’d have to ask Daryl about the reasoning and all that behind it, but there are some great coaches out there. We’ll try to do the best we can to bring someone in that may be a different voice, maybe a different slant on things and you hope we can do a good job. Like I said, Jeff did a great job, but we’ll tackle it.”

17. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman always blames his GM... just like he claimed he wanted MDA back and that wasn’t the case.... Tilman was pissed he had to pay Jeff more to comeback after walking away once.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey did well in replacing the assistant coaches, so I have no doubt he can assemble a solid coaching staff. Cassell is not coming here to be an assistant, so I'd offer him the head coaching job and try to get Silas, Hollins as associate head coach or whatever the title is. It's not just the head coach as you can see in Los Angeles. Vogel is solid, but he's no genius, but pair him with Hollins - probably in charge of defense given his track record - Lawrence Frank and Kidd then you have a great staff. I'd say Turner is solid to stay, defense was great, so just get at least another X's and O's guy to accompany Sam and we should be fine.