1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Finding Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theDude, Jul 21, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look I'm not trying to sugar coat the fact that Jones was a sub par defender last year. I'm just trying to keep context alive.

Along with mentioning that Jones was a bad defender last year must be mentioned alongside a few facts as well. A. The Rockets defensive coaching could use some help (and that's putting it lightly to some), B. Jones has never been challenged on the defensive end if you look at his career history, and C. There are other right sized/undersized PF's with less athleticism & mentality defensively that have proven to be "adequate" at the defensive end under certain team schemes.

If the Rockets have to move forward with Jones, its not like THIS IS IT.... Horrible defender for life. People & teams get better folks.

That being said... YES... he was bad last year on that end (I know, I know, I know... INCESSANT JOF.....LOL).

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

What impressed me in the article is that Jones has a 35' max vertical. I'm surprised he isn't in every highlight reel.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know it's been stated numerous times but the guy is not a tweener nor is he undersized at PF. Is he shorter than Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol? Yes, but so are probably 80% of starting Centers much less Power Forwards. Jones is at least average height for a PF with above average reach and weight. If the guy weighed 252lb (a heavier than average weight for a PF I would guess) at 19, I'm sure he is at least as heavy now and we all know the guy is all muscle. His base is larger and thicker than Dwight's so I don't see too many players outmuscling him on the block.

The problem is coaching and possibly that he just has limited instincts for the game. I would say 75% is coaching. All he needs is a defensive coach to give him some private work and he will be just fine. This is all assuming he actually cares enough to work on his game. I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other.

4. GMNot

GMNot Member

Jones is further along offensively than defensively.

Much is made of Hakeem working with the Bigs for offensive post play. I wonder if he ever works with them on defense? Should be a natural. Hakeem, because of his speed, as much as anything, was a very good defender. Most of the commentary about "working" with the Bigs, whether it be Carrol Dawson, or McHale, OR Hakeem seems to emphasize the offense. But, both Hakeem and McHale should be able to work with these guys on defense.

Hakeem would figure out ways to not need brute strength for defense -- much like the way he tried to incorporate footwork of guards into his game. His closeout on Stark's 3-pointer in the Finals with the Knicks is classic. In other words, do I think Hakeem would have been "owned" by LMA the way Jones was? I doubt it. Asik on LMA would suggest not, also. And it is a skill that can be improved by emphasizing its practice, just like offensive moves. Looking at tapes of elite post defenders is a help, too. I'd ask McHale and Hakeem to have "defensive" sessions with any big.

Defense is as much about correct anticipation as it is position -- position being determined, sometimes by anticipation -- like charges. There is a "nose" (really means head) for that just like for rebounding. I think that sense can be "taught" and practiced.

On that topic, some here have even suggested Battier as a defensive assistant to help players learn little things that translate to good defense. (I've also wondered why Calvin Murphy doesn't work with all the players, in need, on free-throw shooting by the same reasoning. And the same reasoning on developing a deadly mid-range jumper.) I think Larry Bird was the consummate "gym rat" for working on his offensive game. Some would argue his athletic skills just weren't good enough to be great on defense. Maybe that got him a pass. I just think BOTH parts of a player's game need that kind of practice mentality. A lot of players say they want to be the best they can be, but they emphasize offense over defense. Chuck Hayes size could have permitted him to not work on defense. But he was a marvel on defense precisely because he did things someone his size wasn't supposed to be able to do. Sure, some of it was body build, but a lot was developed skill.

Weight training, generally, emphasizes the portion of the body one thinks needs the most attention. But, still, a balanced workout that methodically addresses all the major parts of the body is best. The same approach should apply to basketball skills -- offense AND defense.

Exhibits A & B for bigs defensive "coaching":

Olajuwon:
    As great as Dream was on offense, his defense was just as impressive. He cleaned out the boards, kept players out of the paint, blocked shots at the rim and also changed countless ones. In that sense, Olajuwon was the prototypical center. And yet, there was nothing conventional about him.
    http://www.warriorsworld.net/2011/07/05/dream-allowed-rest-hakeem-olajuwon/

McHale:
    Honors: Three-time NBA Champion; All-NBA First Team (1987); All-Defensive First Team (1986-88); All-Defensive Second Team (1983, 89-90); Seven-time All-Star (1984, 86-91); NBA All-Rookie Team (1981); Two-time Sixth Man of the Year (1984-85); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).
    http://www.nba.com/history/legends/kevin-mchale/

5. basketballholic

We
    will
    trade
    Terrence
    Jones

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On defensive coaching, it is very hard when you have two guys that don't recognize what the offense is trying to do. I think Sampson is a good defensive coach and had the Rockets playing slightly above average for most of the year with Jones, Harden, and Parsons starting.

On not being challenged, Jones was given what two games against LMA in the playoffs. He has been challenged.

On improvement, Jones is the worst defensive PF 22 years or younger. He is barely better than old broken Amare that was never much of a defender. Even with improvement with age, he will likely be a bad PF defender for his age bracket. I see him improving his technique (post defense, guarding man with ball on perimeter, switching), but it is very difficult to drastically improve a guy's a awareness when he doesn't appear to be able to track what is going on at NBA speeds well.

On other players being adequate that were worse, they were most likely only adequate because they were great elsewhere. Jones is good enough at finishing and rebounding on offensive end to be on the court as a backup despite his inability to recognize what is going on.

While I think Jones and DMo both will be good backups, I don't think either has stepped up as starter quality. DMo's problems seem to be more technique related so I expect he'll have a better chance to improve.

7. Houston79Astro

Hahahaha I was waiting for a big twist.

8. dobro1229

Yes, should have expanded on the coaching thought. I do think Sampson had an impact. And while Morey said in interviews that Sampson had already drawn up extensive gameplans against all 29 other teams, the one thing that seemed to get lost was the accountability after Sampson left.

I've stuck up for McHale (even been labeled as a MOF) when I felt he was being inaccurately massacred by the raging masses but I recognize where his strengths & weaknesses lie in the organization. He's just not a hard nosed defensive minded coach like a Tom Thibs or JVG, or an offensiveness play calling mastermind. That doesn't mean he's not a good motivator & system coach. Some coaches paint in fine detail.... some are better in broad strokes.

However as a coach, McHale or whomever can get better in their weaknesses. Those weaknesses being the fine detail painting which includes defensive accountability & ways of making players like Harden, and Jones usable in a defensive scheme. Maybe they can't do what Thibs did with Boozer, but McHale can and SHOULD improve at this with his main defensive offenders (Harden & Jones).

Sorry. Must not have been clear about this. I didn't mean Jones wasn't challenged defensively last year.

I meant throughout his career BEFORE last year, Jones had a relatively light load defensively in prior years (AAU, Kentucky, D-League) so alot of his mindset & skill set going into last year was probably immature in comparison to his offensive game due the fact that during those years, and it probably led to bad habits that he's going to have to change.

Yeah... Jones got challenged this year against LMA, and several other nightmare matchups that he never faced on that scale throughout his career. I just think its something that should be mentioned.... its NOT a pass by any stretch.

Yes I agree. He was bad, and is probably never going to be a lock down defender at the 4. However, you take everything into consideration, and there should be hope that he can improve, and THIS isn't who he is for the rest of his career.

I guess that all depends on what your opinion is of starter quality. Jones was top 6 production on a 50+ win team. Maybe that speaks to the strength of Harden/Howard/Parsons more than the strength of the 4 through 6 players but its a moot point.

Fact is he was a starter and contributed positively. Can the Rockets upgrade... of course. Should they.... of course if they can.

Does that mean Jones and/or D-Mo should be toss out like yesterday's garbage... No.

Every team in the NBA can't have everything they want from a talent perspective. Even the best teams in NBA history... have weaknesses. If they didn't the game wouldn't be very much fun to watch.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This sentence is very contradictory in my opinion. You don't make players accountable by scheming to have other players cover for them. Harden is overall accountable because he provides so much offense it generally overshadows his defense (granted, not as much overshadow last season as previously).

I will be interested to see how defense plays with Ariza instead of Parsons. If the Rockets had a good defender at the 4, Harden would be the only guy that needs help on defense.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Would think the frontline of Howard, Jones and Ariza should be the top shotblocking frontline in league. All good shotblockers.

11. dobro1229

I meant that McHale & co. can get better about utilizing them within a defensive gameplan. Whether that means separating certain players in order to not play them in the rotation at the same time or matching up in other lineups I'm not sure, but its up to him to figure it out.

I think pretty much everyone on the GARM is in agreement that McHale & co. could improve & all aspects of coaching & player preparation. Not sure how that improvement wouldn't impact players such as Jones or at least mask their deficiencies better.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get why people are down on Jones. As a 22-year-old player, Jones showed a lot of potential, doing some of the stuff that you can't easily teach. Meanwhile, his flaws are issues that are typical of young players that tend to get fixed or at least improved upon with more work and experience.

Specifically, Jones is already very good at producing points at a high rate, especially near the basket. With an 18% usage rate, Jones at a .577 TS% and a 8.2% TOV% (very low especially considering the fact that he gets a lot of touches around the basket, where it tends to be crowded). He shot 72.4% from the restricted area (0 to 3 feet from the hoop). He also has pretty good handles for a big guy, allowing him to drive from the perimeter at times and pushing the ball up in transition after getting a rebound. Having a 19.1 PER at age 22 is not bad.

Meanwhile, he does lack defensive smarts and can't really hit jump shots or even free throws very well. He tends to disappear some games and at times makes enough mistakes to negate the positive stuff that he does. But those are issues young players tend to have. If a young guy like Jones is willing to work on these and learn to get better, the history of the NBA show that he will probably get better at these.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

My issues isnt with him per se; its more of that were starting such a young and unproven player while trying to contend in Dwights prime.

15. Remii

Remii Member

If we can't contend with TJ... Than we should have kept Asik and traded Howard for Anthony Davis. We shouldn't need two star big men.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Im not saying we have to go out and get a star. Im saying its stupid to rest our championship hopes and waste Dwights prime surronding him with guys who are still "developing".

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I hope to be Finding Terrence Jones on the bench more this season. To me it would indicate that we were serious about contending, unlike last year. And no, switching out DMo for TJ is not what I'm looking for.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am all for the team trading Jones or any of the young guys in the right deal for good veteran help. The issue is whether the "right deal" is available.

19. Remii

Remii Member

He put himself in that situation when he decided to play with Harden who is still developing... Usually young players don't win in the NBA and he picked a young team to join.

The NBA game is about perimeter players anyway... That's what gets you through the playoffs, just like in college with March Madness. PF shouldn't be the focus at this point.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

As good as Morey supposedly is, you wouldn't think it would be that hard for him to find an upgrade for T. Jones. Any upgrade at all would have improved our chances at a title tremendously last year. Still can't believe almost everyone ignores this. We're still waiting for the next Dream Team I guess. Hopefully it materializes before Howard is way past his prime.