1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Beverley, Lin And The Rockets' Meritocracy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Apr 29, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly my thoughts. Give me a dozen guys with heart and drive over .... someone like you know who...

2. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

That's what the Rockets were. They never made the playoffs.

3. harden man

harden man Member

did anyone notice Lin averaged 17 and 7 in April? That his stats have improved every month this season? Has anyone noticed how awful Harden has been in the playoffs? That he's shooting like 20% from 3 point land. That in April he's averaged not counting the playoffs 32 percent form 3 point land?

March was better for him though, he shot 42 % from 3 point land. Im a Harden fan BUT how come he doesnt get this rath like Lin gets. Now Lin has had an awful series. Bad first game and then hurt. But it seems Harden whos sometimes puts up 25 shots a game to get his 25 points and half of them from the line. Looks to me no one really pays attention

4. Gil

Gil Member

How about we trade for Chalmers? Great defender, 40% 3PT shooter, low turnover guard and Championship experience.

Who agrees?

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

He doesn't need elite talent to be extremely valuable to this team. He just needs enough talent to justify being a starter. If he lives up to his potential (which at this point looks like solid starter), it would be huge for our ability to get superstars. With Harden and Parsons already starting, Houston could conceivably have the flexibility to trade away Lin and Asik, then sign two superstars...

I've said this before but I think eventually that's where this team will be. Everyone will either be on a max contract or rookie contract (with a vet or d-league guy on a contract with similar terms of a rookie).

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Rafer Alston in his prime would've been a decent fit next to Harden.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it's great for both Beverley and Lin that they have room for development and are close enough to each other's talent level to compete against each other for the starting spot.

Style-wise, I do feel that Beverley is a better fit on a team where James Harden is a primary option.

I don't doubt for a second that Lin can improve a lot. The fact that he shot 44% this season despite having to take many shots he's not good at taking + being probably the second scoring option tells me the guy has improved. I do believe that coming off the bench would allow him to attack the rim more, and give us a chance to rest Harden for a couple of more minutes than we currently do. Lin can score in the same way Harden can, but just not as efficiently perhaps.

However because Harden excels with the ball in his hands and is not a good defender, I think that Beverley's 3pt shooting, defense and low turnover rate are a great fit. This team needs a defender more than it needs another penetrator in the backcourt IMO. With Asik, Parsons and Beverley this team is capable of playing decent defense. But with Lin and Harden on the perimeter, we are just way too porous.

You must admit this is a fantastic problem to have. Both of these guys are very good basketball players.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Chalmers' passing/decision making is pretty poor. That's why the big 3 are always up his ass haha

9. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

Ideal PG is steph curry and we will never get him

10. rokit

rokit Member

lin is a better shooter than beverley.

lin is an average defender, so how is that his weakness?

does this guy get paid to write all this BS?:(

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Eactly. We already had a bunch of hard working hustle players playing with a lot of heart: Landry, Scola, Hayes, Battier, Lowry, Dragic etc. We got rid of them all. Because? They aren't elite talents.

I am pretty sure Morey would ship Beverley out whenever he could get a better asset value back. Basically, you don't improve the team much by having a revolving door roster of role players. We are a better team than last year because of Harden, not because of having better role players.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Literally none of what you said is true.

13. rokit

rokit Member

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

15. Fighton

Fighton Member

i really don't understand this... THIS is exactly what we saw when lin was given/took over (whatever you want to call it) more PG roles in December and Feb, March, and even April. and the ongoing argument in here is that the team and Harden plays much better with lin running the point, and we've seen throughout the year that when he's running the point, good things happen. so why are we trying to find another guy for the same price or cheaper as lin, doing what he did well this year again? he hasn't been consistent, that's for sure. but to be inconsistent, you also have to have pretty good games WITH harden or else you're just consistently bad. why not give this pair another year to see if they can work out their inconsistencies?

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Is Eric Gordon done? If he was ever to be healthy, I think he'd be a great star to pair Harden with. Good 3 point shooter. Takes it to the rack - ~5 shots at the rim a game at >60% FG. Draws fouls - ~5+ FTA/G. Basically, the kind of numbers Lin should have produced. Trade for Gordon (if you think he can be healthy) and get Ryan Anderson while you're at it. I know Gordon and Harden play the same position, but move one over and make it work.

17. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Let me get this straight, you wanted a healthy Eric Gordon's scoring numbers, and probably expected 5 or so assists, for only 8 million bucks a year? Hah, ok, keep dreaming. For 8 million/year, Lin's numbers are pretty much what you're gonna get, and he also gives you good defense for that money despite what some people are saying. If Lin does improve though next year, you'll be getting a bargain.

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Can you provide a source for that. And regardless, Lin takes more shots and usually against more elite competition. Plus, Lin uses more energy playing 30+ minutes a game. These are all factors which would decrease your shooting percentage.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Repped.

20. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Post all star game, your statement doesn't hold true.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=202391&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Per48

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=201976&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Per48

Down the stretch in April, the NetRtg for Lin was 7.7 vs -3.9 for Beverly.

But go ahead and ignore this post.