1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Beverley, Lin And The Rockets' Meritocracy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Apr 29, 2013.

1. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Steve Blake?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not the name that comes to mind, but possibly the same style. (Here is a more popular answer) He needs a Kenny Smith type of PG who can play to the strengths of Harden, and space the floor to allow better driving lanes. However, Harden also needs someone who can run the point as well to allow him to work off the ball as well, and not have the pressure of bringing the ball up, and setting up the offense on every single play. So no, I would NOT want to give Harden full time ball-handling responsibility.

One guy I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets tried to snag on the cheap this Summer is Beno Udrih.

I still think Lin can be effective, but its really never going to be a perfect fit stylistically. Hopefully they can make it work this Summer with some offseason work, and strategy.

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Get the ball out of Harden's hands. He isn't even a good passer. He makes as many wrong passes as he does right ones.

4. bluemars

bluemars Member

I don't think the nba salary will drop. The salary cap already heavily deflates the amount paid to players in comparison to their market value.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm buying much of the article. But - - even tho I love the guy, who doesn't?, I am not yet buying that PBev's production would extend to starter minutes.

I could be wrong, hope I am. Just not yet sold that 36 mpg of Bev is = to 1/2 that.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Defense and hitting open shots are two qualities that cannot really be scouted. My concern with him is that he is not really a general, and can get too fired up, causing foul issues. He is an ideal back up point guard. I like that he is rugged and has a bit of a thick skin.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im right there with you. I think he could be very good to borderline all-star PG, but let Lowry be an example of one of those players that really makes his career mark on doing essentially what Beverley is doing now which can blur the sitelines of the true talent that they bring to the table at the end of the day.

The fact is, the fiestiness and the attitude can only take you so far. Even though that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lowry is still very good, Dragic is still very good, and Beverley is probably going to continue to be very good even with an extended role... However you should expect greatness in an expanded role.

At the end of the day, you just have to have elite talent to make it to true all-star player. As much as I love Lowry, and as much as Im loving Beverley, at the end of the day I dont think what Beverley or Lowry have that elite talent to begin with.

8. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Author should check his stats...Bev averages fewer steals per 36 and shoots a lower percentage.

Still a good player, and more consistent probably because he is not really a rookie.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Candidate for the "examples of bad posts" thread?

10. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I bet he averages 15 more "hands-on-ball" than Jeremy per 36. That's an actual stat that people use for ball-hawking analytics btw. Avery Bradley was waaaaay up there in that stat, and I assume Beverley is as well.

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Just give me Chalmers. Better 3pt shooter, better defender, championship experience, shows up in big games, use to playing off the ball to guys named James.

1 person likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just wondering, how long does Jeremy get to keep his "rookie" status?

13. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Lin is not a rookie. Stop trying to assume what I think to fit me into your LOF narrative.

Ass.

14. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I'd like to see that also. Let me know if you find it.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I said nothing about you being a Lin fan. Just asking a question about what I thought you were implying in your post. That bev isn't really a rookie and Jeremy still kinda is. Not that much of a stretch in a thread about Beverley and Lin, is it? Sorry if I was wrong, but calm down my fellow Rockets fan.

1 person likes this.
  16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I agree. Love Beverley, but I think ideally he's a change of pace/energy guy off the bench. Very good 6th/7th man to have on your team, though.

Ha. I was aiming a bit higher. Not a big fan of Blake. Just doesn't do much for me. Don't think he's good enough in any of the category I listed, besides shooting.

I think ideally the guy next to Harden is Billups-prime-ish and among PGs currently playing, I believe the guy closest to that description is....

[​IMG]

Now, I've always been a huge Lowry guy, so -- though I'd like to think I am being very reasonable -- I very well may be unreasonable high on him, still.

There are a few other players that somewhat fit the (my) bill: Mike Conley, George Hill, Dragic, Eric Bledsoe if he can take the next step, even Lin to an extent, but I don't think any of them are/would be quite as good a fit as Lowry.

Obviously I don't know if the Rockets-Lowry/McHale-Lowry situation can be resolved or if the Rockets would even have interest in resolving it. I just think -- not considering the cream of the crop -- Lowry is as a good a fit next to Harden as there is.

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

You eat 5 pies and realize that you are full. Then you tell yourself, Geez, what am I thinking?! That last 0.5 pie filled me up, why the heck do I need first 4.5 pies for? If I just eat that last piece, wouldn't I have saved 90% of my money?

Jeremy Lin has started all 82 regular season games, and we are in the playoffs now. Patrick Beverley played great in game 2 of playoffs, while Lin played terribly in game 1 and got hurt at halftime of game 2. That alone has convinced some, that Beverley is the bright future Houston Rockets is looking for.

1 person likes this.
  18. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Sorry for calling you an ass.

1 person likes this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Elite talent + elite head. PBev has the make-up if not the other-worldly talent. I'd take a dozen guys like him, taller maybe. Gee, imagine 'our' Patrick morphed onto 'our' (sigh) Royce. If only...

20. harden man

harden man Member

Been lurking for months here and watching the rockets for a long time. Now I'm here. Wont say much but you can really tell when reporters write articles and never watch a game. I guess this guy didn't notice Lin averaging nearly 18 and 7 a game in April prior to the playoffs, while shooting over 45% from the field and 40% from three.

While that was happening Patrick Beverly who I like was averaging 20 minutes a game and scoring 6 Pts and 3 assists.. Again I like Beverly BUT I doubt that Lin who stat wise has gotten better every month of the season. Constant improvement.

The Rockets will get a new starter down low next season and Beverly IF hes still with the Rockets will be coming off the bench.Beverly is not a good shooter. He is however a spark plug and thats what he will always be... HE BRINGS ENERGY but still not at Lins level. Lin will start next year IF he's still in Houston.