1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[RealGM] Alternate take on Four Team Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcd1234, Aug 14, 2010.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm not sure if that's true. Maybe because of the situation they've been in. Lee started on a magic team over JJ Reddick...that was his competition. And this is even before JJ had his meager "breakout." I'm pretty sure Pietrus would have started over him too at SG if they had another option to backup Turkoglu at small forward. He then started on one of the worst teams the NBA has ever seen.

Regardless of the past, going forward my "guess" is Ariza would start on more teams in the NBA than Lee. I'm not even sure if Lee would have started on the Nets next season. Terrence Williams put up better all-around numbers than Lee last year in only 22 minutes of playing time. They also went out to get Brandon Morrow.

Also, no way Lee gets more minutes than C-Bud unless Martin goes down.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Ariza was a bench player his whole career and only got to play if there were injuries. Rockets were the only one to give him a starting role for a whole season.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Well, I fully agree that we traded our starting SF to save money and got a backup SG in return, even though our backup PG is making just as much as our starting SF was.

4. psingh34

psingh34 Member

its only a salary dump if they dont used the trade exception .. or atleast dont attempt to use the trade exception .. .. if they use the trade exception, they will end up taking on more salary than had they just kept ariza which would be the opposite of a salary dump .. .. i for one think they made the trade with the idea of using the trade exception

5. psingh34

psingh34 Member

6. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Whats your logic in coming up with Roddy B is better then Kmart? And Isn't he a PG anyway?

7. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

Because offense isn't all of basketball. Shane has consistently brought the same play and same work ethic for two different eras of Rox's bball and has played big minutes. I know it may sound crazy that the posters of clutch fans don't know as much as the Rox's staff, but just maybe Shane does very well without making an impact on the box score. Samething with Hayes. You can't have every player just be offensively minded, you need balance.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Shane fits in on this team more than he has on any Rocket's team in the past.

We don't need him to score, we need him to provide spacing for Yao, hit the occassional 3pter and do the post entry pass to Yao on offense.

And do his usual on defense.

He just fits.

DD

9. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

Stan Van Gundy has said that Lee was one of his best defensive players and the fact that a rookie saw as much time as he did on a Van Gundy team speaks volume about his attitude, defense, and work ethic.

No doubt that as of of today, Ariza is the better player, but I like Lee's upside more. Especially considering Ariza's age and time in the NBA. This was a "B-" move: saved us money and while replacing talent with younger talent with more upside. Not to mention, Ariza's awful efficiency and questionable attitude. Remember, this is a player Morey has coveted since he was drafted.

I don't see why wouldn't Lee wouldn't get more minutes than Cbud unless Lee only plays backup 2.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. People keep ragging on Shane based on last year's play. Not only was he injured alot of the time, Yao was out the whole year.

I'm glad Trevor is gone personally, specially if it leads to better things down the line. Perhaps Jeffries' salary + $6 million trade exception + pick + young asset = Carmelo? Never hurts to dream.

11. Raven

Raven Member

And be a positive role model for the young guys. That's huge, and maybe his biggest asset.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not. Not that I'm against the trade, necessarily. But I'm certainly not GLAD that Trevor's gone. I think his defense (a little more gambling than Shane's D) would have worked much better with Yao behind him. I don't think the Ariza signing was a mistake by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Rockets just found an opportunity to get a player they have coveted for some time who is comparable to Ariza (from a talent level standpoint), who fills more of a need for the team, and who is significantly cheaper than Ariza. It's not a knock on Ariza or what he could have brought to this team.

Also, dude, the trade exception cannot be combined with players for salary matching purposes in trades. You'd have to find another player from Denver (or a third team) on which to use that trade exception.

13. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

thats his opinion but i disagree with him, Lee is also an insurance if Kevin Martin gets injured.

and we all know Ariza can't play the shoot guarding position.

14. adoo

adoo Member

premature eJOCKulation / myopic homerism on your part.

do the comparison after the Rox have advanced past the 2nd round of the playoff.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lee will be more of a fan favorite than Ariza ever was within a couple of weeks, easily. Write that down.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If Ariza made only $1.3M, was coming in only to backup Shane Battier at SF and provide some extra defense, and was not "replacing" Ron Artest from the prior year, I bet most fans would have had a very high appreciation for Trevor.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because Lee will have an entire team to play with.

18. TheFreak

So the fans don't think Ariza was producing enough for the money he was making?

19. TheFreak

Lowry was a fan favorite last year, so was Budinger. Did they have 'an entire team' to play with?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lowry and Bud weren't forced into a role that they were not accustomed to either. Ariza true talent came through once Martin arrived.