1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Team Leadership

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lil, May 26, 2003.

1. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

someone ought to send this to our Franchise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2003/story?id=1557755

Kidd's toughest decision: Leaving Martin, Jefferson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Adrian Wojnarowski
    ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Beyond the max-out $103 million contract, beyond the endorsements and his wife's television career across the Hudson River, beyond his status as savior of a lost franchise, there is something stronger clutching Jason Kidd to the New Jersey Nets: How would he ever tell those two kids, Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson, that he's leaving them?

How?

The absolute anguish of looking his starry young forwards in the eyes, telling them that he's leaving for free agency, makes it easier for Kidd to come closer to making a complete commitment to this franchise.

"What I would do is take a vacation far, far away and call Kenyon and Richard -- maybe just leave them an e-mail," Kidd said. "That would be the absolute toughest part of leaving, telling those two ..."

"That would be the toughest part, but fortunately, I don't think that's ever going to happen."

It isn't going to happen because Kidd has been slowly seduced by the blossoming talents of Martin and Jefferson. Together, they're draining the drama out of the July 1 free agency deadline, redirecting it into June where these Nets wonder if they can win a championship sooner rather than later with Kidd running the point.

Along the way in these Eastern Conference playoffs, Martin has transcended into a true NBA star, a marauding, menacing defender finally developing a star's scoring touch. Jefferson isn't far behind. Kidd has invested deeply in the these two players, the time he takes to coach and coax and push and prod hurtling them toward stardom.

"You've got to have a set of ears and these guys listen," Kidd said. "You can tell when they're listening, too. If guys will listen and respect you, it will be a benefit. R.J. and K-Mart have done that."

As the Nets clutch a controlling 3-0 lead on the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals, there is forever to be a voice in the ears of these players with Games 3 and 4 at Continental Airlines Arena, forever Kidd pushing Martin and Jefferson harder and harder. The way they work, the way they're so downright desperate to be great players, Kidd has found them to be the most eager of pupils.

"Their progression is probably two years ahead of time, because of what Jason's done for them," Nets coach Byron Scott said.

The way Kidd has nurtured these two forwards reflects his own growth as a leader, his own development through the years. He was a lost kid in Dallas and a reluctant leader with the Suns, but his two seasons in Jersey have been the manifestation of his maturity.

"Jason wasn't always like this," Jefferson said. "He was a person who just wanted his actions to show his work ethic. But when he came here, he had young players like Kenyon and me and Jason (Collins). He had to talk to us. He had to teach us. And I think that made him a better player."

Scott sees so much of his old running mate, Magic Johnson, in the way Kidd immerses himself with Martin and Jefferson. Scott can close his eyes and still hear the volume rising in Magic's voice, shouting to Scott about some defender.

"B, he can't guard you. The next five plays, I'm calling just for you. Bust his ass."

From Magic's mouth to Scott's memory, his leadership still lives within the Nets coach. Someday, these Nets will understand, too. They'll remember Kidd, the way Scott does Magic. And yet always, Magic's best work with Scott and his Lakers teammates was far from the floor, far from his rah-rah public persona. It was sitting over dinner, talking in the back of the bus on the way, the corners of the locker room.

Leadership can be a strange thing in sports: When it isn't there, you can always tell. Yet when it's real and genuine, its resonance can be found in the biggest and smallest of ways. Superstar players are so consumed with endorsements, appearances and posses these days, they lose sight of its relationship between winning and losing.

"What Jason understands is that you have to take the time to lead," Scott said. "A lot of players in this league call themselves leaders, but they don't take the time to lead. It takes time, and a lot of guys aren't willing to donate that much to their teammates. The guys on this team would jump off of a bridge with Jason, if he asked them to. And they wouldn't even ask why."

Back in November, Kidd invited a struggling Jefferson to his Northern Jersey home for a family dinner. The Nets had traded Keith Van Horn to make the 21-year-old a starter, and truth be told, the Nets sophomore was trying too hard. Around the organization, they feared Jefferson had internalized the need to play well this year so Kidd wouldn't leave as a free agent his summer. Jefferson doesn't just look up to Kidd. "The fact is, Richard idolizes J-Kidd," Scott said. "He thinks he's the greatest. He doesn't want to disappoint him."

Over dinner, Jefferson said, "(Kidd) told me to relax, that they needed me this year. He just told me to stop putting so much pressure on yourself. It was so nice -- just me and his family. I responded with my career high to that point the next game.

"The thing about J-Kidd, he lets you know the way things are, but also, the way things are going to be."

And the way they're going to be, it seems, is Kidd re-signing with the Nets this summer for six seasons, staying to nurture his investments. Kidd could go to San Antonio, but those would always be Tim Duncan's Spurs. These Nets, they belong to Kidd. They're his creation, his reflection, his franchise.

In his mind, Kidd doesn't need to go chasing that second star, because Martin has relentlessly rushed into the role, refusing to wait until Kidd was a long, lost teammate to make it happen. Byron Scott was right: These two young forwards are two years beyond where they should be, but they had no choice. They had no time to waste. They had two years to sell Kidd. When Kidd considers the prospect of telling them that he's leaving the Nets, he shakes his head and breathes out.

It would be the toughest part of leaving, the hardest goodbye of all.

"... I don't think it's ever going to happen," Kidd said.

The best reasons to stay just grow and grow. More and more, the truth comes clearer: Jason Kidd staying a Net.

After all this, how could he ever tell Martin and Jefferson he's leaving?

How?

Adrian Wojnarowski, who's a columnist for The Record (N.J.), is a regular contributor to ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPNWoj@aol.com.

2. SLA

SLA Member

Lil, Jason Kidd is like 30. Well Francis is already 26.

But Francis is not as mature as Kidd.

Francis has a bit of an attitude problem. Still acts like a kid......

Yes. Jason Kidd is a real team leader.

3. Just B

Just B Member

Francis is a good team leader in the lockeroom, it's just that he makes some bad choices on the court. People always act like he's immature towards his teammates and stuff, but he's the one who yelled at a reporter when the guy said "well you know how badly your team did when you were out last season....". Here's a quote from Steve about this past season:

“If someone wants to say that we didn’t win because of me, I’m willing to take that. True basketball fans know that you can’t depend on one player to win 50 games, but I’m willing to take that burden as the captain and the leader of this team. I’m not ashamed of that at all.”
    -Steve Francis on his leadership role this season

and here's what Yao said about Francis' leadership:

"He really is a very brave person, he dares to speak up for other team members, unlike some leaders of other teams who don't give crap about their teammates."
    -Yao Ming on Steve Francis' leadership role this season

I'm sick of people saying Francis isn't a good leader for the team!
    :mad:

4. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

well said!

5. SLA

SLA Member

Yao said "don't give a crap"?

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Francis has to prove it (leadership) on the court.

And hopefully with a new coach and most importantly, a new system, he'll be able to do that.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What im sick of is everyone thinking that the nets will ever have a chance to win it all. Sure, they may have the best shot in the east, but half the teams in the west have a better chance than they do.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Kidd may have good reasons for thinking the Nets can compete with the best in the West, or he may be on crack. I don't care as long as he doesn't come to San Antonio and it looks like I'm going to get my wish....

Then again, maybe Spurs + free agent PF/C - Robinson > Spurs + Kidd - Parker. Here's hoping that the Spurs don't improve too much next season.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm just so glad that the veterans we had did this for our
    young guards. . . . oops. . not they did not.. . . they b*Tch
    about touches and money and stuff

Barkley, Pippen, and Hakeem are great players
    but they did not give our youngster near the commitment
    that Kidd seems to be giving Jefferson and Martin

BTW how long had kidd been in the league vs Francis?

Rocket River