1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Talk: If Warriors win title, put an asterisk next to it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Jun 5, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far. Most tainted titles ever? The 2002 Lakers. That's a tainted title. Even the 1999 Spurs(50 game season) or the 2006 Heat(refs keep sending Wade to the line) could arguably be considered more tainted.

Look, I actually think the Warriors likely would've won the title regardless. They did have 67 wins this season and Curry was the league MVP. This is legitimately one of the best regular season teams in the history of the NBA. It just frustrates me that they never had to confirm their greatness in the postseason in even one round because all of their opponents were ravaged by injuries.

And I still maintain that they almost have to win another championship now(and under more difficult circumstances) in order to prove this wasn't just a lucky break.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

stop it, after all the "Jordan was playing/100%" BS we Rox fan had to live through for the years can we stop it with that asterick crap?

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He came back in the middle of a season and didn't play the full 94-95.

4. what

what Member

I'm far from a rockets homer, but I will tell you that Jordan losing to the magic in 95 was far more dependent on the fact that the bulls didn't have anybody that could deal with shaq, more than it was about Jordan not being his old self.

It's just a footnote in history now, but after that bulls-magic series, you see what the bulls did: they went out and got rodman with the quickness. Bring in dennis rodman had EVERYTHING to do with trying to limit shaq and it worked, you take rodman off that bulls team, you probably get much of the same result as 95.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

How anyone can even speak about 'astericks' when the entire world puts them on both of our titles is beyond me. Respect the Warriors; one of the best teams ever.

6. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Do Houston's only titles have an asterisk because Jordan wasn't there?

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

This is childish. A title is a title.

Injuries are part of game. Staying healthy through the grind of the regular season is part of going through the NBA, just like going through teams.

Man so many damn salty dudes up in here.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No asterisk but they may be facing the worst team to ever play in the NBA Finals thanks to the Love and Irving injuries.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

The worst team in the NBA Finals was New Jersey Nets.

10. i3artow i3aller

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think the '07 Cavs might have been worse.

12. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

If the Lakers had won just that one title in 2002 then I could see an argument for tainted. But its 1 of their 3peat so yeah its hard to really say they need an asterisk Yes, they got by the Kings on some horrendous calls but it was still a very good team. 06 Heat should in no way be tainted. Wades freethrows were the result of acceptable NBA finals level fouls like 90% of the time. I remember the Mavs kept complaining, but they literally reached and fouled him on every drive. They had no defensive will power to stop themselves from reaching. Its like what Harden did all year until the GSW series because Klay has the discipline to not reach and just play position and trust his teammates having his back.
    Speaking of the Warriors, they are also a good team but I dont think enough has been made by the media of the fact that every team they played in the playoffs was missing KEY guys. Jrue Holiday, Conley, Beverly, Irving are all guys who would have put a lot of pressure on Steph and Klay. DMo and Love would be integral in providing an offensive punch when their respective teams are going through a lull. IMO the Warriors deserve the title, they have been stellar on offense and surprisingly on defense ALL YEAR. But it should def be noted by the media that they played teams who were all severely hampered by injuries. I cant stand the warriors and the smugness from them or their fans. They have been completely irrelevant for almost their whole existence but act like they've been a contender for the last 10 years. I really hope Draymond has the tug to go back home and accepts a max offer from detroit.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get people's desire for "asterisks" in general.

If a team cheated to win, then maybe there is a reason for an asterisk. But luck and injuries are just a part of the game. The Warriors are not to be faulted for having had better health than other teams. Maybe it's just luck, in which case no one is to blame. Maybe it's because the Warrors' were smarter about player conditioning and health than other teams, in which case being better at this aspect of professional basketball is something we should applaud as much as being good at in-game tactics.

Also, in this case it isn't like the Warriors only narrowly escaped with series victories. None of their series wins so far were "coin flips"-- the Grizzlies were probably the closest. It also isn't like the opponent would have been favored to beat them if not for injuries. I'm pretty sure Vegas would have had the Warriors as the favorite in each playoff series even without the major injuries-- the Warriors would have just been narrower favorites.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Their win, should it occur, will set up an interesting, to me, season in which the W's and the Thunder ('last year's W's') will vie for their futures. Spurs aren't done, they're never done! The Clips are to be reckoned with. The Griz even the Mavs. Plus? Absolutely plus the Rox.

But, that's next season. Right now that Bay squad deserves the accolades!

Good post, CH.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be honest, I didn't expect them to be this good. But I also like to defend teams that are dismissed by fans as "just ___ and won't win it all." Heck, I even defended the Trailblazers and I was wrong. They did fade. I also defended the Spurs and the Cavs when they didn't do very well earlier in the season.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes, the Western Conference remains loaded. Besides some of these teams possibly getting better luck with their playoff-time health, a couple of them may even add high level talent this summer to already-talented rosters.

This is why Houston Rockets must be aggressive in the free agent and trade market even if they have had a very good season. Trying to beat out the rest of the teams isn't gonna get easier.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And that's why we watch!

I'm curious and hopeful that this is a better summer than last; who can count on the mid-season p/u's like this year?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

An asterisk for every major injury on opposing teams.

That's about six asteriks.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have not won yet.... something is telling me Lebron, Dellavedova and Co will make it close or perhaps even win.....

GSW has to win to prove they are at least a championship team and not just a regular season bully.

20. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

but if you compare this championship with ours in 94 and 95, would you say they are equally impressive? HELL No, GS had a full team and is beating teams with injuries, they never faced any adversity. You know what i felt when i heard Kyrie is out for the finals, i just lost all the interest in watching these finals game, it just doesn't interest me any more, it seems boring to me. Do you like watching an NBA team beating a team assembled by international rookies and some unwanted cast off and one super star? if GS win, it is what they should have done, Do you call that greatness? To me, no