1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Talk: If Warriors win title, put an asterisk next to it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Jun 5, 2015.

1. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

the luckiest team ever

2. delishman

delishman Member

They've had a decently easy trek and have impossibly not dealt with injuries on a team that should be injury prone.

With that said, they are freaking amazing and deserve to win the title in one of the best years for the West. #67

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

They are still playing basketball?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spurs won several titles by when other teams had stars injured in the playoffs. Plus the Horry knocked Nash into the scorers table and a prime Amare getting suspending for walking a few feet onto the floor to see if his PG was OK.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a little luck, now find a season where the Spurs won the championship while being fully healthy and every single team they faced was missing their starting PF

6. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

We're we lucky that MJ wasn't around for our 2 titles? Lucky rondo quit and parsons was injured? You don't have success in this league unless you are somewhat lucky

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your user name is Rudy T, yet did you know what basketball was in 1995?

If I were a mod I would put you in timeout for repeating this most heinous of half-truths.

#87 napalm06, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No asterisk at all.

Elite team defense and shooting and they take care of the ball. All of that is a lot easier said than done.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

MJ is darned lucky that every call went his way in his 6-rings. Luck? #1 was Worthy being lamed in Game 1, the one the Lakes won. Ask Mr B Russell about MJ's luck.

And check in with his MJness on his career long Bulls success v Dream, Madd Maxx et al.

I cringe to this day at how "we" allowed Sonics back in to the series then 'forfeited' Games 1 & 2 to S&M, and blew the big 2nd 1/2 lead in Game 6 and the never to be forgotten finish to that oh, so forgettable game/series app't with His MJness that would have come after the inevitable Clutch Game 7 win.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Another reason to urinate on P-Jax' Zenness: how the hey he ever came up with that crap about dissing the Spurs for winning it all in the strike shortened series.

You remember that Zen guy? The one whose BigFella jerked off a nation of 3-billion and had it endorsed by the coach?

Yeah, sure. Luck. W's have tipped off v everyone scheduled and, should they win 3 more, are entitled to large amounts of cred. Dadnabbit...

11. Enchanted

Enchanted Member

Exactly. It's easier for us fans to just say it was pure luck. The bottom line is they beat us fair and square. We can make excuses and say perhaps if we had Beverly or if Howard were more healthy that it would have been a different series, but in the end, our team is still the ones watching from the couch. I don't care about moral victories, just getting the job done.

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Absolutely, i am sick and tired of Steph's face, his daughter, his mouth guard. The playoffs have been a cake walk for them from the semis on and they have faced key injured players :mad:

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wut?.

14. Enchanted

Enchanted Member

Look we lost man. What if I told you to accept that we aren't exactly the best team ever either? Would you accept it?

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't have much respect for the Spurs after the 1999 title. That always seemed like one they only won because it was a lockout-shortened season which allowed their old ass team(Robinson, Johnson, Elie, Perdue, Kerr, Kersey RIP) to not be exhausted and worn down with a mere 50 games on the schedule.

But they did beat some damn good teams in their later title runs. 2003 saw them defeat the 3-time defending champion Lakers and the up-and-coming Mavs. I do think the Kings may have given them a run had Webber not injured his knee against Dallas, but that was still a respectable slate of opponents the Spurs faced.

2005 they knocked off a pretty good Sonics team that had Ray Allen still in his prime, defeated the #1 seeded Suns with the MVP, Steve Nash, in a 4-1 domination, and then held off the defending champion Pistons in a 7-game Finals.

2007 was kind of a BS run. That flagrant foul by Horry pretty much doomed the Suns once Amar'e and Boris Diaw left the bench. I think Phoenix wins that series if there are no suspensions heading back to the desert tied 2-2. And let's not forget that Nash had the bloody nose in Game 1 that prevented him from playing and allowed the Spurs to steal home court advantage right off the bat. Plus San Antonio ended up facing Utah in the WCF instead of the 67-win Mavs or Rockets. And then the Cavs in the Finals who amazingly had the 2nd seed in the East with a mere 50 wins.

But I can overlook the BS titles in 1999 and 2007 because sandwiched in between are two impressive championships in 2003 and 2005. If the Warriors win another title or two and defeat quality opponents who are at full strength in the process, then no one can question their 2015 playoff run. Otherwise one can't help but wonder "what if?".

#95 count_dough-ku, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

This Warriors team reminds me of the Celtics big 3. They had the best record and ended up winning the championship.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who of you would have guessed before this season began that the Warriors would be in the Finals and the Favs to win it all....

I think less than 45% Hell nobody would have guessed the emergence of Klay and a 67 win season?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said this before. Earlier in the season, lots of people said that the Warriors's winning could not be sustained because they were "just a jump shooting team."

Then when they kept winning toward the latter part of the season, they changed the narrative to "their style won't win in the playoffs" ignoring the fact that they were the best defensive team in the league.

Now they are winning in the playoffs, people are saying they are just lucky because all their opponents have injuries and they are healthy. And they are saying that even if they win a title, there should be an asterisk.

Just funny backpaddling, desperately trying to keep believing that their dismissal of the team was right all along.

BTW, we were lucky in 1994 not that Jordan was out but that Seattle got upset in the first round by the 8th seed Denver.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough. They turned out to be better than expected...

My point if they are such a big favorite why didn't they win a championship under Mark Jackson or before?

I never hear Kerr mentioned or rarely as I pointed out before.

KERR IS THE MAN, CURRY and the others are just the tool to achieve that

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

There's no decent argument for there not to be an asterisk... The Kyrie/Love injuries alone would put an asterisk on it. Then add the fact that every team they played in the playoffs had significant injury issues while GS had really no major injuries all season. This is one of the most tainted titles I've ever seen!