1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Talk: If Warriors win title, put an asterisk next to it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Jun 5, 2015.

1. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

LOL What!? Sorry, but Cavs would be higher than that.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I will be petty and bitter to the very end.
    Asterisk championship for Golden State.

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

No asterisk. The Warriors are that good.

With love and kyrie the warriors are still a better team I believe.
    with Beverley and Motiejunas I can see us giving them a challenge, but that's a huge if. They still beat us in 5 and that's going in the history book.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This. The 67 wins and having the league MVP should eliminate any talk of the title being illegitimate, but all of these injuries to their opponents undermine any discussion of the 2015 Warriors being one of the NBA's all-time greatest teams.

And let me add this. If the Warriors don't win another title with this core(or at least the Curry-Thompson tandem), I do think it'll cheapen this championship at least a little. Kinda like how meaningless that Spurs title in the lockout-shortened 1999 season felt before they finally won another one in 2003.

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

We have no reason to be salty for how our season ended.

Basketball just works this way sometimes and apparently Golden State and Curry have it at the moment.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Health is part of the quality of the team, as factors such as player durability and medical staff are part of an organization, and teams who are better at those things are better teams.

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Just an asterisk? Honestly I think we should take away their title and call it a tie if that happens.
    On a serious note, no...

8. hanlong

hanlong Member

you can asterisk a lot of championships then.

what if the refs didn't screw over 2002 kings? lakers championship = asterisk.

what if robert horry didnt hip check nash in 2007 suns? spurs championship = asterisk.

what if jordan never retired? would rockets championships in the 90s be asterisk too?

a championship is a championship. those were all great teams. stop this silly debate

1 person likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah **** that no such thing as asterisks for championships, it just makes you sound salty

but **** that team too I hate everything about them

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

nobody remembers this stuff years from now. and tbh, if this year's warriors are ever brought up for discussion it will always be about what they did in the regular season... that point differential. that's the thing that nba historians remember.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I remember back when the Spurs won their first title in a shortened season due to lockout lots of people said there would be an asterisk.

Of course no one remembers now, nor should it matter.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is an odd and thoroughly debatable concept presented as an indisputable fact.

13. AXG

AXG Member

Luck played some part of it, but all that matters is what goes down in the history books.

14. what

what Member

Probably not an asterisk, but if the grizzlies had of been healthy, the warriors would have had to go through hell to beat them.

The grizzlies were the only team that had a chance to knock off the warriors this year.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Dont know if he presented his statement as an indisputable fact, but what part of his statement did you disagree with?

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Healthy Rockets, Healthy Cavs, Healthy Grizzlies all had a chance. Of course the only healthy team was the Warriors.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't think they deserve an asterisk though I'd give them one before I gave one to 94 and 95 Rockets or the short season Spurs win. There is luck and there is luck. I don't think so many impact players on so many contending teams have been injured in any prior season. I also have never in all my 40 or so years watching NBA basketball seen a team that stayed healthy all year long in every significant way.

I hate the effect injuries have on the game as much as I hate bad calls that obviously swing important games the wrong way. They're X-factors every team has to contend with and so you can't take anything away from GSW. They've earned what they've gotten. But they have also probably been the luckiest team in league history and I don't even think that's an exaggeration. Doesn't take away from their greatness but it does make you wonder if they'll be able to do it again. OKC wasn't even in the playoffs this year because of injuries and they were supposed to be the best in the West along with SA.

Injuries mattered too much this year. Always an X-factor but this year all the good X-factor went to one team and all the hard luck injuries went to every other contender.

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

This is so stupid.

If you want to walk this line, then we may as well bring up how lucky it was the 3 years prior to this years playoffs how Lebron avoided Derrick Rose in the East due to injuries.

Or how about how Lebron's 1st title he won in 2012, how he avoided the best team that year San Antonio in the finals and instead played a much more inexperience OKC team.

Stupid, revisionist argument.

19. what

what Member

Maybe, but the grizzlies are the only team that beat that team in oracle and as of yet the only team that had a lead on that team in the series.

The rockets might have been swept if curry had not gotten his bell rung.

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

lol of course not. Just like if the Rockets went all the way, you wouldn't want an asterisk on it either.