1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Stimulus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 3, 2009.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

^^^
    'Financial answers' from the guy you call to troubleshoot your computer problem. Thanks.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

LMFAO, your solution is liquidity? Maybe the government should lower interest rates then........oh.........wait.

Sorry brah, maybe you didn't get the memo, but the theory that you could control economies with monetary policy alone sort of died late last year along with your long bets on energy. Sucks,no?

3. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

You are so clueless, Sam. Do you think low interest rates = ample liquidity? Have you checked the status of the credit markets lately? Checked the status of the IPO window, or the equity markets? Until groups have access to capital, the economy won't start rolling again. And I'm not talking about this faux stimulus package creating access to capital, but rather the infinitely more effective private sector markets beginning to function again. That is confidence driven. Without confidence in a currency and in a market, you have nothing -- regardless of the billions that Nancy Pelosi throws at STD prevention.

Listen, rookie, if you don't understand that raising money is extremely difficult in this environment, then you don't understand much at all, really, about this crisis. Attempting to discuss the nuances with you is pointless. You are stuck on square 1. You desperately need to learn some basic finance.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

You have no understanding of financial markets whatsoever.

Speculation and investor confidence fuel the stock market that is why even the best performing companies with huge reserves of cash are getting creamed by the market. That is what a bear market does to all the stocks. Generally the stock market is news-driven and reflects investor willingness to buy and hold stocks. The performance of a company is very different from the performance of its stock.

Now stock markets aside, the real bloodline of any company is CAPITAL and its extremely hard to finance debt these days for everyone even the AAA rated creditworthy companies. Look at the bond market, there are unbelievable yields for short term investment grade bonds.

Why? Because Investors lack confidence to assume risk without demanding higher returns.

Finally you real education:

Investor confidence is why a ton of money is pouring into US Treasuries because investor feel confident the safest place to park their money is with the government even though return rate is close to ZERO. Basically the government is borrowing money for nothing.

So now where does your "performance" come into play when investors are willing to make practically nothing for buying US treasuries?

I thought you said "Investors aren't scared of making money"?

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

All I know I learned from Tom and those guys...

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Therein lies the problem, and this is why in this situation, monetary policy is deader than your chance of finding a new job.

Maybe you can work for the Young Repubs.....oh wait you're over 35, maybe the middle aged repubs then....

7. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Taking a break from the righteous slapdown I've provided you in this thread, to which you have hardly even mustered a defense... Sam, did you recently get fired? Your behavior indicates that you did.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

WOW - very defensive, at a hint of unemployment you ran to the ramparts within barely a QUARTER-HOUR.

I guess my suspicions were correct and that foray into private equity didn't work out too well for you . . . pretty hard with the deal market dead and all, I can imagine that novice deal guys in fringe markets are getting pounded.

9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

HO HO HO

Sam, left devastated by the righteous beating at the hands of The_Conquistador, is left to wildly fish for information from his superior. Why have you taken this path, Sam? Why the sudden curiosity? Obviously it's in your best interest to divert the discussion away from the total humiliation that you have suffered in this thread. But the more likely answer is that you are looking for comfort after a devastating life moment. Did a lover leave you?

HEARTBROKEN

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

^ Ah, the double diversion.

Let the record show that this morning at 9:07 AM EST, I successfully recorded a SEISMIC NERVESTRIKE on Jorge by exposing the fact that he has been "transitioned out"

Sucks to be you jorge...maybe you can get a job at the BAD BANK.

11. juicystream

juicystream Member

This has become a battle of mirror images, and their attacks on each others careers. :eek:

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are you tj's little brother?

anyway, why the "lecture". investors don't have confidence, exactly, I didn't say that wasn't the problem. they don't have confidence because the economy sucks. what don't you understand

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

And there I thought Congress passed bills, and set the budget.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

I keep hearing conservatives talk about how their god Reagan saved America in the 1980s by cutting taxes and that we should do that again, but this just doesn't make any sense.

When Reagan took office the top tax rates in the US were 70%. He was able to temporarily stimulate the economy in part by cutting rates down to about 30%. But we are still at only 35%, you can't make the same cuts as when the tax rates were twice as high.

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

You can still cut taxes. Hoover spent money on infrastructure and vastly increased government spending, and he raised taxes, which led us spiraling downward. The highest bracket before Hoover requested Congress raise taxes? 25% and no FICA taxes.

16. okierock

okierock Member

I don't recall mentioning Presidential party affiliation. The reality below is that party doesn't really effect government spending much. Conservative philosophy is exactly what the op proposes and I don't care what party adopts it, just do it.

[​IMG]

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Thank you for pointing out the moronic logic of Libs.

Congress passes spending bills not the President.

Look at these dumb libs, they can't even get a Pork-Stimulus passed even with complete control of Congress and the Executive Branch. Their leader, Obama has to call meetings with Republicans in order to sell the idea of this pork bill to the American people. No but they won't admit that, nope Obama is only showing compassion by reaching across the aisle. Face the facts, Americans in majority are rejecting the idea of this garbage bill which provides no real stimulus.

18. ipaman

ipaman Member

AMEN!!!

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who signs this bills into law

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

The god of stupid appreciates your offering and will see you sunday.