1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Real GM] Flurry Of Moves Help Position Rockets For Run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 28, 2005.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so here it is:

http://rockets.realgm.com/articles/69/20050827/flurry_of_moves_help_position_rockets_for_run/

Flurry Of Moves Help Position Rockets For Run
    Jason Linnard - 27th August, 2005 5:26 AM

Carroll Dawson should be getting paid overtime.

In the 2 weeks following the lift of the Player Movement Moratorium, we saw the signing of forward Stromile Swift and the return of forward Ryan Bowen and guard Jon Barry. We also witnessed the departure of seasoned veteran Clarence Weatherspoon. That’s plenty of moves for one offseason, right?

Dawson didn’t seem to think so. He has a plan in mind and is determined to follow through with it long before training camp commences.

On August 23, Houston signed guard Derek Anderson, the first victim of the Luxury Tax Amnesty clause created in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Anderson had to decide between Houston and the Los Angeles Lakers.

"When you get an opportunity to get money and still go somewhere, you got to think about what you really want as a person and as a player," he said. "I think this was a better fit for me to come here and challenge myself to play and be able to win a championship."

Houston originally tried to acquire Anderson before last season’s trade deadline, supposedly for forward Maurice Taylor, who was ultimately shipped to New York.

It is not known what role Anderson will fill, as he has the ability to play the 1, 2, and 3. But Coach Jeff Van Gundy is already hinting at what he has in store.

"I do love the way he passes the ball. I think one of the things we did last year….was become a much better passing team. And I think Derek is a tremendous passer as well. That's the one skill I don't think you can ever have enough of.”

On August 26, Houston resigned veteran center Dikembe Mutombo to a two-year contract. Though used as a back-up for big man Yao Ming, Mutombo was also brought in to tutor Yao on defense, post-play, and rebounding.
    "I felt that this team gave me a lot of opportunity last year by trying to do their best over the summer to bring me here. To be reunited with Patrick and to get the opportunity to play (again) with Yao, Tracy, and Juwan, I think it gave me a great chance to know those guys very well and to develop a great (team) chemistry that will make us the team of the future in the West, and we're about to become now the dominant team in the West. I'm glad to be back."

Another move believed to be on Dawson’s agenda is extending Yao Ming’s current contract. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which would make him a restricted free agent at year’s end.

Whether we have seen everything Dawson had planned or if he has some more tricks up his sleeve, the future already looks bright for this organization.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...and he took a vacation!

3. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Judging from this article, Yao's extention is not signed yet.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gee, random RealGM beat writer vs. Berman.

Who should I ever trust?

5. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

which probably means that yao has agreed to terms and hasnt physically signed yet...

6. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

Is it possible to have the contract extended but the contract not be a maximum contract?

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

yes, see what Cassell is trying to do. He wants a contract extention and there is NO way in hell is getting the max.