1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Republicans Are Ready To Announce Their 2024 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CCorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"I am not prejudiced. I just suddenly believe schools shouldn't teach things that they don't teach anyway if it involves certainly groups of people but not other groups. Homosexuals? No. Heterosexuals. OK.. Black people getting discriminated against? No. White people. OK. But no, I am not prejudiced."

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

Nope, one follows nature that dates back to the creation of man, another reflects mental illness (in my opinion), it's my prerogative dude. Doesn't mean I hate them, I don't, but I don't find that lifestyle natural, and my kids don't need to be exposed to it as if it's normal.

3. NewRoxFan

I bet the Secretary of Transportation and his husband won't be able to go into girls bathrooms in Florida, thanks to the Don't Say Gay" law desantis put in place...

4. NewRoxFan

"But no... not prejudiced"

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

Just because I disagree with someone's lifestyle does not mean I am prejudiced against them. To each their own.

Liberals have a very difficult time with this concept. With libs you must either agree with them or you must be some sort of awful human being. Again, this is why there is the perception that liberals tend to be unhinged and a bit nutty.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, it does in this case, because you are enthusiastically supporting a law that seeks to erase their existence from school curricula so as to avoid treating them as "normal". It's the same line of thinking behind separating whites and blacks from the same public spaces. The social mixing of whites and blacks was deemed unnatural, hence the need for separation.

Zboy, Nook, JayGoogle and 1 other person like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? How is stating what happens in the fairy tale over sexualizing it?
    Whoever said anything about then fornicating? But if that’s your first thought perhaps you’re oversexualizing the tale.

Nook, JayGoogle, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

But is it problematic that the she lives happily ever after with the Prince?

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So in other words you do have a problem with homosexuality

10. SuraGotMadHops

I have a problem with anyone other than myself or my wife introducing my children to it. Yes.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except your saying you think it’s unnatural and a mental illness. That’s a little more than just not agreeing with them.

joshuaao and Andre0087 like this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

A baby is born white or black, without any control over it. A baby is not born gay, not in my opinion, it is not biological.

13. SuraGotMadHops

That's right. So? Doesnt matter the nexus of why I don't agree with them came from or what the root cause is. I just dont.

14. durvasa

OK, but your opinion makes no sense. I have no control over who I'm sexuality attracted to. I assume you don't either. And, yet, you think gay people do have this control?

Zboy, Nook, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

I think it's triggered by mental illness.

16. durvasa

I don't know what that means. However it is triggered -- whether it's something that is baked into them at birth or something that comes to be in early development -- what is clear is that they don't have any more control over it than a straight person would have over being straight.

Being angry at a school over a teacher presenting a story that includes a gay couple interacting in a non-sexuality explicit romantic manner, to me seems on the same moral level as being angry about a story featuring a mixed race couple, or a story about a couple who choose not to have kids, or whatever. That these various cases are not typical does not make them abnormal or inappropriate. If a school specifically forbade its teachers from telling stories featuring mixed-race couples, it would rightly be considered prejudiced.

Zboy, Nook, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

No... you have clearly expressed prejudicial opinions about gay people (eg you called it a mental illness). And you support laws that overtly or covertly discriminate against them (eg the law in question in Florida).

And you think someone that calls you out on this is "unhinged".

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way to not read this bill, or the post I was responding to when I made my post.

This bill makes a distinction between heterosexual and homosexual issues. It goes beyond teaching kids about sex. That doesn't happen k-3. But what does happen is children bullying others and calling them homophobic names. This bill prevents teachers from addressing those issues. This also prevents teachers who have same sex or transgender partners from answering questions should student ask about a picture of the teacher and their spouse/loved one on their desk.

The bill still allows answering questions about heterosexual couples pictures etc.

The bill is bigoted. I was talking about that aspect and you said that you mentioned that you were openly in favor of such unequal distinctions.

Zboy, Nook, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So then you must have a problem with your children having friends or talking to other children at or outside of school.

Trust me, your kid will be learning about sex, race, etc. well before you ever have “the talk” with them. So at school that’s why it’s important to have a way of addressing what NEEDS to be addressed from an educational standpoint when it needs to be addressed.

No teacher wants to talk about sex to your kid… trust me. I’m married to a teacher. But thinking that every issue that happens on campus can just be handled by saying “talk to your parents tonight about that” is naive. The fact is you expect your kids teacher to be more than just a math or science educator but parents like you want to want to have it both ways where you also want to be able to ruin their lives if they ever have any influence on them that doesn’t fit your narrow worldview… even if that tiny bit of influence is handled in a rigorous programmatic educational way.

I recommend you just homeschool your kids instead of kneecapping or creating trap doors for ruining teachers lives potentially if they dare influence your kids in any way that doesn’t fit your narrow world view. Stop taking your ignorance out on people like my wife who the last thing they want to be talking about to your kid is sex.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That was actually the first thing I thought of. This is a trap door policy actually aiming at keeping LGBTQ people out of the teaching profession. It’s don’t ask don’t tell but for teachers.

Freezing out that many teachers who will think now it’s not worth the risk to be a teacher in Florida will have a major disruption to the education system. Not to mention the parents, school board, boosters, etc. who will gum up the admin leadership with scandal after scandal that then plunges the schools in legal expenses or at least keeps the admin from focusing on more important issues.

Needless to say, the public school system in Florida and other states that adopt this garbage will be harmed pretty severely in the long haul. It’s a trap door policy that’ll gum up admin and freeze out a ton of teaching talent.

But harming public education is kind of the point as we both know. It’s all about destroying the public education system at each state level so bad that they can cash grab those tax dollars to go towards a voucher system and free up trillions to get redirected in the pockets of right wing oligarchs. It’s always about money with these psychos.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.