1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2024 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rep. Dean Phillips mulls 2024 primary challenge against Biden

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...s-mulls-2024-primary-challenge-against-biden/

excerpt:

Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips (D) is toying with a potential 2024 primary challenge against President Biden, a development likely to bring additional scrutiny to the incumbent’s reelection campaign.

A well-placed Democrat in the state confirmed to The Hill that Phillips is talking to various people about possibly mounting a White House challenge to Biden.
    more

basso likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dean Phillips is actually a friend of a friend but I don't know him personally and only met him a few times. My own feeling is that this is very unlikely. Phillips has stated before concerns about Biden's age but he hasn't made a majors issue of it and has supported Biden's agenda pretty strongly. More than that his district (MN3) went for Biden by a wider margin than they did for him over his Republican opponent.

I've personally not heard any talk among MN political circles that Phillips would challenge Biden and it's not clear that even his own district would support him over Biden.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

54 and single; interesting.

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

basso likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Maybe you're interested but I think he's too young for you to date.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

You forget to mention that Dean is a rich politican who comes from big money. Is it surprising that biden who has the most anti business ftc in modern history is being challenged by rich poltiican who has tons of Donor money behind him?

Corporate America does not want Biden to win. Biden has declared war on Corporate America

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

He just wants attention.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve listened to Phillips and I think he has a good point. A coronation of Biden isn’t necessarily a good thing and this view that challenging the incumbent weakens the ticket I don’t think is true. Trump and the Republicans are getting a lot of attention because while not much of a contest there is actually debates and something to cover. Giving Biden even a
    Token challenge at least gives the press something to cover.

basso likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This idea goes against the well-known incumbent advantage.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Democrats would only lose the incumbent advantage if Biden lost the primary. A little exercise wouldn't hurt though.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump also has an ‘incumbent’ advantage.

I agree with @rocketsjudoka that it provides an opportunity to ‘present’ your case earlier than normal, or before the general. However, if this is anything like 2020, the more coverage you have, the worse off you are.

Whatever the case, this election year is truly one of a kind. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone is surprised after the election. P.S. Take polling with a huge grain of salt; it has a higher chance of missing due to this one-of-a-kind election.

JuanValdez and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It does go against conventional wisdom but as
    I was just saying in another thread that the perception is that Biden is old unenergetic. I agree it’s an unfair perception but it’s out there.

The view that’s it’s a coronation of Biden or that the DNC is protecting Biden only feeds into that. Having Biden actually campaign and defend his record could go a long way to dispelling that.