1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2024 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Apr 19, 2022.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Because despite all the posturing about being the party of minorities, the Democrat party is actually the party of rich entitled white men, first and foremost.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Newsome's either too wacky for America or he's not. You can evaluate the argument on its merits or not. You can engage in ad hominem attacks or not.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh right, speaking of wives, part of the reason he checked into "drinky drinky" rehab was because he was boning his aides wife.

How many credits and favors did he have to cash or promise to get out that?

Seems like he's not going to bust anyone's balls like Elliot Spitzer (understatement), though Spitzer's downfall wasn't only because he didn't make friends in high places but also because he liked getting his balls crushed way too much.

I thought it was his current trophy wife he was cheating on, but it turned out to be...
    [​IMG]

Another sloppy second finish for Don Ju

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fetterman?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well I can't argue against that since Dem Party establishment will almost always work their own interests over the heart of the party.

They're always torn between catering to younger/more tolerant demographics and keeping/hoarding their power with their deep cadre of geriatrics despite the insider trading allegations of Pelosi's uber prophetic husband or keeping a tenured Jersey Senator who barely survived bribery charges*.

So then you have lip service over "woke/progressive values" that these fogies can't and won't begin to understand or turn into reality. I use "woke" in quotes because they choose the flimsy lip servicey parts (latinx, pronouns, corporate badgering) over the hard gritty issues working class minorities would clearly benefit from.

Of course, I still think they're by far better than Republicans/MAGA folk in helping minorities or The People, but the deception is more disappointing for me, at least.

For that scoreboard, you have A) the party that does across the board tax cuts but are top heavy towards 1% income owners with payment offsets backloaded towards poor and middle class workers in 5-10 years, or B) the party that touts across the board Trillion Dollar paycheck/stimulus with 40% of the funding diverted to special interest groups and multinationals (Tilman and friends cutting in line for PPP? Huh?? Wuh??? Howdiddat happund!?!)

WTF right? But only one side is Evil and not bought out like the other...yadda yadda yadda.

*TIL:SCROTUS was behind the mistrial for Menendez's corruption case. Bar keeps getting lower and lower...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. Kamala, Newsom or Clinton? That's as bad as it gets. DeSantis would destroy that group. ****, Trump would beat that group

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm glad some people can take a good-natured ribbing without going to Defcon 4.

ROCKSS, Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Opinion: Let’s say Biden isn’t the nominee. Here’s who runs — and wins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/29/democratic-nominee-biden-doesnt-run-2024/

excerpts:

1 Vice President Harris
    The best argument for Biden to run again is that Harris will be the likely Democratic nominee if he doesn’t. Even if her lame-duck boss didn’t endorse her, the nomination would be Harris’s to lose, assuming she could lock down Black support. But Harris has shown herself more than capable of blowing it: Her 2020 bid was a debacle, she churns through staff faster and harder than anyone in politics, she speaks in word salad, and she’s failed at most of the tasks she’s been assigned as vice president. — James Hohmann

Pete Buttigieg
    Nobody is smarter, nobody is better in a debate. The deficiencies that hampered Buttigieg in 2020 — he was so young, he had never run anything bigger than a small Midwestern city — are taken care of. And he is a member of a persecuted minority who can inspire the base but who also has the Obama-like ability to come across to the majority as non-angry and nonthreatening. — Eugene Robinson

Gov. Gavin Newsom (Calif.)
    Given his state’s makeup, Newsom is free to sign all kinds of progressive legislation, contrasting the national party’s failures. Importantly, he’s using that to show how states can fight back against Supreme Court decisions on guns and abortion, which will appeal to Democratic voters angered and scared by the court. Newsom’s talent for trolling Republicans shows a grasp of social media that’s essential in any candidate of the future, too. Democrats, however, may find it hard to nominate another White man. — Greg Sargent

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (Mich.)
    If Biden doesn’t run (and I really think he won’t), hypothetically, the party’s strongest candidate would be Whitmer, a female governor with a national profile from a Midwestern state. She’s media savvy and has a record to run on. Only one person pushes every button. Nearly being kidnapped by crazy extremists doesn’t hurt, either. — Matt Bai

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.)
    Since Biden’s election, Klobuchar has been highly visible on key issues. She seems to know that she needs to improve her standing with the party’s progressive wing, which could be the major barrier to her nomination. Midwestern is good, and she could provide the right mix of continuity and change from Biden. — E.J. Dionne Jr.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.)
    To dismiss the 32-year-old New York congresswoman as a leading contender for president is to discount her obvious ambition, the appeal she holds for the expanding far-left wing of her party, and the ongoing political upheaval that led to nontraditional candidates such as Trump and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). AOC is a media darling and social media superstar with a knack for getting attention. She’s intelligent and well-spoken and a perfect fit for the selfie generation. In a culture that demonizes older leaders like never before, she’ll be just old enough, constitutionally, to be sworn in on Jan. 20, 2025. — Gary Abernathy

Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (Ga.)
    I know Warnock doesn’t make all the lists right now, but the party doesn’t have a better communicator or one who can speak to more of its constituencies. He’ll get a lot of buzz if he wins reelection this year, and maybe even if he doesn’t. — Matt Bai

Sen. Cory Booker* (N.J.)
    I’m cheating a bit here: My vote goes to Cory Booker … or Chris Murphy. They are allies, and I have a hunch that if one runs, the other won’t. Booker’s voice grew stronger as the 2020 nomination battle went on, and he has championed important causes, especially the child tax credit. Meanwhile, Sen. Murphy of Connecticut is a substantive media star and an important voice on many of the most important policy fights (especially gun safety), and he could pull together the party’s center and left. — E.J. Dionne Jr.

Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio)
    Brown would be up for reelection in 2024, and he might decide that if he has to fight tooth and nail in red Ohio, he might as well fight tooth and nail for the whole enchilada. Plus, he knows how to frame highly progressive policies in a way that connects with both the Democratic base and “woke”-skeptical independents. — Eugene Robinson

The others
    Gov. Roy Cooper (N.C.). Cooper was elected and reelected on the same days in 2016 and 2020 that Trump carried North Carolina, and he has shown competence and deftness while dealing with a hostile GOP legislature. That experience with divided government and proven ability to win in a reddish-purple state would make him a formidable nominee. — James Hohmann

Rep. Tim Ryan (Ohio). That is, if he’s Sen. Tim Ryan by then. — Jennifer Rubin

Gov. Tim Walz (Minn.). He signed criminal justice reform after George Floyd’s murder and is turning Minnesota into a sanctuary for women from neighboring states who cannot get abortions. He’d be a long shot, but the nominee could very well be someone most Democrats haven’t heard of yet. — James Hohmann

... Plus a few other names clanking around: Raimondo, Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate (and state attorney general) Josh Shapiro, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis and Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.).
    more at the link

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This list has the taste of every mid western buffet. Different list but the same tasteless servings. Don't get me wrong, it could be worse. But who is going to eat meatloaf Corey Booker or fruit salad Cortez?

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that’s a pretty good list and analysis. I find it interesting that they included MN Gov. Tim Walz. I think he’s done a great job but his re-election isn’t guaranteed this year in MN as he’s really pissed off rural conservatives with his COVID polices and also opposing a larg mining project in Northern Minnesota. He also suffers that he isn’t that telegenic.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In a Mn related note. Two Mn Democratic US Reps, Angie Craig and Dean Philips have said they would like to see someone younger running for President in 2024.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There were plenty that were younger that ran on the Democrat side in 2020. You guys decisively rejected all of them. It looks like pretty close to the same cast of characters shaping up to run in 2024, with the addition of Gavin Newsom. He and Mayor Pete appear to be the top tier of this group, as far as I can currently see. Newsom is as problematic of a candidate as the candidates rejected by the Democrats in the 2020 race, and not only because he is a straight, upper-class, silver spoon in his mouth, hyper-privileged white male in a party that supposedly regards that as the source of all evil in this country.

Biden and Harris were nominated because they were the very best of your national political all star team. It raises some serious questions about the quality of that team and the depth of your national political leadership bench. In fact, a number of national leftist publications, including Politico, have written up Lina Hidalgo, the first term County Judge of Harris County as a rising star and one of the top prospects of the next generation to lead the Democrat party.

Wow. Just wow. You guys are in big trouble if that is actually the state of your farm league.

But it would certainly be hard to nominate anyone who is not younger than Joe Biden if he is not the party nominee, which I suspect he will not be.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Uh oh. This cannot be very helpful to Gavin Newsome's potential presidential prospects. Especially with the "safety" hypersensitivity of many people that the Democrats have tried to appeal to in the recent past.

Bill Maher Hits Back at Gov. Newsom: 'I Felt Freer in Florida'

“Real Time” host Bill Maher took aim at Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D-Calif) recent ad attacking Florida and comparing its so-called freedoms to the sunshine state’s. In Newsom’s ad, he pointed out so-called threats to freedom posed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla), and urged people to move to California so they can live a “freer” life. However Maher pushed back at Newsom, disagreeing with his claims.

The HBO show host said that at times he hasn’t always felt free in California while he has “felt freer in Florida.”

Maher pointed out how Newsom dictates the lives of people in California, referring to the Wuhan Coronavirus vaccine mandates which cost many residents to lose their jobs. “I do not want to be dictated to… I must insist they don’t insist how I handle my health,” Maher argued. ​

17. Nook

Nook Member

Contrary to what Alex Jones told you when he sold you his stroganoff prepper pack for $5,000; Newsome isn’t gay and never was gay. He is a hypocrite but he is heterosexual.

He also has a great zinger when he debates Donald Trump. He can ask the Donald why his son has his nasty leftovers as his love interest.

The only people that care that “Mayor Pete” is gay are far whacko’s like you. If you want to see identity politics, look no further than Hershel Walker and Burgess Owens.

jiggyfly and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Nah. The Democrats are becoming the party of the well educated and there is certainly entitlement in it… but the Republican Party currently has far more male entitlement and white male entitlement.

The last Republican President is the absolute poster board for rich, white, male entitlement.

Now if you want to say the democrats are becoming the party of snobs and intellectual elitists, I can go for that being true.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Agree.

Is there any bigger gap between republican and Democrat identities than education and intellect?

The only other one is Republican identity of white straight christian (gun bearing) male, and Dems of diversity, LGBTQ+ support and religious diversity.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Well Biden and Harris did defeat Trump and Pence.