1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Can Democrats make lemons into lemonade?

Unable to prevent embracing the left, Democrats will seek to revise America’s perception of it. This lemons-into-lemonade course is the Democratic Party’s only alternative, as a 2020 nominee from their left appears increasingly certain. Next year, the party will essentially challenge the nation: Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

The preponderance of Democratic 2020 field is on the left; already it is collectively attracting the preponderance of Democratic supporters. The field’s fragmentation and the base’s enthusiasm will ensure a competitive and spirited contest that will push the eventual nominee still further left. Even before this process really begins, the contest has started more to the left than any Democrat nominee has ever finished.

The extreme to which their nominee is most likely to go will foreclose their usual approach of claiming to be centrists but governing to the left. Obama mastered this strategy. America’s most liberal president, he assiduously avoided campaigning as one. Instead, he cast his Republican opponents as off-center, hard conservatives — despite neither being so.

{More at the link}

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

op/ed piece with the misnomer re: obama. he wasn't "America’s most liberal president"

the political spectrum has been more like this for at least the last 12 years:

JuanValdez, B-Bob and Rashmon like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Joe Biden is now saying that 'almost anybody' can beat Trump. Which if that is right, do then what is the need to have Joe Biden as their candidate.

Joe Biden now says 'almost anybody' can beat Trump...and poof goes a key argument for his candidacy

The former vice president responded, "I hope she’s wrong. I don’t think that’s the case." After an extended answer about the need to elect somebody who understands the African American community, Biden said, "I think there’s other people in the race who can beat Trump."

When Capehart asked Biden who he had in mind, Biden responded, "Well, I think almost anybody."

This is a bit of an odd answer for Biden, who has made the idea of electability a central part of his candidacy. To the extent that people think that virtually any other candidate can beat Trump, there's less of a reason to take a risk on somebody who would be the oldest president in American history, entering his 80s during a first term.​

Does anyone really believe that Joe Biden is a better candidate than Hillary Clinton was? And he is leading the field by nearly 2-1 over the next candidate in many polls?

Answer: No, he isn't. Hillary was a stronger, better candidate than any Democrat currently running. And we know how here two presidential campaigns turned out.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Does anyone really believe Donald Trump now is a better candidate than the one that won the Presidency? No, not really.

adoo and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Democrat presidential candidate Andrew Yang is proposing the use of giant space mirrors to combat "Climate change".

Andrew Yang proposes ‘giant space mirrors’ to combat climate change

Presidential candidate Andrew Yang’s climate plan aims to get the US to net-zero carbon emissions with a range of new initiatives — including investing in major geoengineering projects like giant mirrors in space.

However, his 20-year, $4.87 trillion climate plan differs in one way and that’s in terms of geoengineering — the notion that humans should take deliberate and large-scale action concerning climate in order to stop or slow down the planet’s warming. Yang’s plan would provide $800 million to NASA, the Department of Defense and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to research geoengineering, which includes investigating “giant foldable space mirrors” as an emergency measure of last resort.

“Space mirrors would involve launching giant foldable mirrors into space that would deploy and reflect much of the sun’s light [away from the planet]. This method would be extremely expensive, which is why it should be investigated as a last resort. However, since we would be able to ‘undo’ the mirror after deployment if needed, it’s less permanent,” Yang has written.​

Correct me if I am wrong, but are we not down to our last 11 years, according to these people? Doom is currently all but certain and there is no time to waste? Right?

Anyway, I hope that the candidates will discuss this idea during their next presidential debate, coming up later this month. Perhaps they can all be asked if they are willing to endorse such a plan? Good idea, yes?

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The National Center for Atmospheric Research Space Telescope is looking at the same idea but at a fraction of the cost.

The space mirror is made from a layer of glass suspended in the high atmosphere (LEO). This makes it extremely efficient. It's already been used in space and the European Space Agency's mirror mission along with the Soviets and US past missions. The space mirror that is not a space telescope but a space laser projector takes the place of the eclipsed sun on Earth.

So when scientists focus the mirror scopes on one object, the space laser goes off and the energy sent back to Earth creating a micro-climate to offset man-made global warming.

The space laser is a type of weapon that uses a powerful beam of light to generate a huge thrust of electromagnetic energy. The space mirrors are an optical version of this 'weapon' now used for peaceful purposes.

Nook likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

What happened to O's?

I guess Mojo is picking up the slack.

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is the dog days of summer. Labour Day weekend, actually. It is very slow right now.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ready the clown car, @MojoMan is making threads and bumping his old ones!

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is reassuring to see that some of these people still have some lingering compasion for humanity.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I would say Clinton was a better speaker and a better prospect than Biden is. There was a purpose to her running, whereas it feels like Biden is only filling a vacuum. But, she also had 20 years of Republican character assassination to overcome and a gender handicap. So I don't think you can compare candidates so simply on who is "stronger." They both have strengths and weaknesses, and it depends on the dynamic with the electoral landscape and the electoral moment who would come out on top. I don't think you can say Biden's 2020 campaign will end worse than Clinton's 2016 campaign just because Clinton would have steamrolled him in 2016.

Yang is a little different on the doom-saying from other Democrats. On the one hand, he's said it's basically already too late, even if we go net-zero, China and India will push us over. On the other, he's also recognizing it's not the end -- that there are things we can do to live in a warmer world and we should do those things. So, I know giant space mirrors sounds like a hare-brained scheme, which is why it got more coverage in the conservative press than the liberal press, but I appreciate the suggestion because I see it in the context of the other things he's said about global warming -- depending on severity, giant space mirrors might become the least-bad option.

RayRay10, biff17 and MojoMan like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

biden's purpose is to bring things back to normal

i think otherwise.

had Biden decided to run in 2016, he would have beaten Clinton.
    Biden enjoys the benefits of the Obama political dividend
    Hilary has shown, repeatedly, that she is a lousy national campaigner
    Dem voters are not that enthusiastic about her; they still remember her criticism of Obama in 2008​

biff17 likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Says the mistake-in-chief supporter without any sense of irony...

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's the main reason Biden will win it among the top five.

I like Warren's ideas but not sure how she'd fare in the general election

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Howard Shultz will not run for President. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

Howard Schultz announces he won't run for president

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz on Friday in a letter to supporters announced that he is no longer considering a 2020 presidential bid. Schultz, who first announced he was considering running as a “centrist” independent in January, wrote in the letter Friday that “an independent campaign for the White House is not how I can best serve our country at this time.”​