1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Rudy Giuliani observes that former Vice President Biden is showing 'obvious signs of dementia'.

Giuliani: Biden showing 'obvious signs of dementia'

Rudy Giuliani attacked former Vice President Joe Biden for showing “obvious signs of dementia” as he moves closer to locking up the Democratic presidential nomination.

“If you consider that what he’s displaying gets worse, what’s he going to be like three years from now? If he doesn’t know what state he’s in, he can’t figure out who his wife is, and if he thinks 150 million people, which is half the population roughly of America, got killed. Then what’s he going to be like two years from now when that illness gets worse?” Giuliani said during an interview on Fox News’s Watters’ World on Saturday.​

Of course Biden has always been notorious for being gaffe prone and he has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. But now he is behaving in ways that with all due respect recommend him for retirement much more than for than for high office. His supporters can try to spin this however they like, but this is going to be an issue for Joe Biden.

Is Bernie Sanders serious about winning the nomination this time, to the extent that he is willing to take off the gloves and go in for the proverbial 'kill'? Because if he is, there are several issues that Sanders can leverage effectively to take Biden out of this race, including:
    • Joe Biden's senility issue,
    • Joe Biden's corruption issue associated with Biden's son and Ukraine,
    • Joe Biden's creepy behavior with women and young girls
    If Sanders is really committed to winning this contest, he can do it. And if anyone thinks he will be spared from these issues and numerous others against President Trump, you have another think coming.

Also, Sanders needs to insist that these debates be conducted in a way that pits he and Biden against each other in the most direct, straight forward, unfiltered and unsoftened format possible, because it does not appear that Biden is probably up to that sort of confrontation with Sanders. And if he cannot handle this sort of exchange with Sanders, he will not be able to handle it with President Trump later, either.

Anticipating this, it appears that CNN is already making moves to try to assist Biden for the next debate, by making it a "Town hall" format, with the candidates seated rather than standing.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bernie Sanders openly states what seems likely to most people, that Klobuchar and Buttigieg were basically 'forced' out of the race by the Democrat party establishment leadership:

#2903 MojoMan, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bernie whining isn't going to help him

jiggyfly, joshuaao and Nook like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Politics. No foul play.

Pete and Amy want to have careers in the Dem party, if the Dem party is asking for you to drop out, you do it. Neither had a chance at winning, Pete and Amy being a part of Joe's cabinet will do wonders for their careers in the long run.

joshuaao and MojoMan like this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Jesse Jackson has endorsed Bernie Sanders for President.

Jesse Jackson Endorses Bernie Sanders for President

Jesse Jackson has endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders for president. Jackson spoke at a campaign rally for Sanders in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Sunday.

After recounting the violent episode known as Bloody Sunday, where unarmed civil rights marchers were beaten by state troopers in Selma, Alabama in 1965, Jackson said he was endorsing the Vermont senator because of his commitment to the people.

"I stand with Bernie Sanders today because he stood with me," Jackson said on Sunday. "I stand with him because he never lost his taste for justice of the people."​

Of course the establishment has already 'Dog whistled' out its instructions through Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC), and through the rapid, obviously pressured withdrawals of Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg from the race, just before Tuesday.

So it may be too little, too late, unless Bernie is ready to take off the gloves and go after Joe Biden with a level of aggressiveness and zeal that Sanders has always tended to shy away from.

ryan_98 likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rudy G is calling somebody else senile? In any case, I'm not concerned about Biden's mental health. If he does start to deteriorate, that's what we have VPs for.

Anyway, I don't think the 3 lines of attack you enumerate are really open to Bernie. I think he'd get more resentment than trust by questioning Biden's mental health. It's a low blow. The Ukraine narrative has no credibility at all in democratic circles. And I imagine the Biden campaign has cleaned up their protocols on Biden touching people to keep it from becoming an issue again -- and it's really a line of attack available to media, not candidates anyway. Sanders maybe could do negative campaigning on these issues, but he wouldn't be able to touch them himself. He'd have to have proxies do the dirty work. And honestly, it sounds like you'd just like to have Sanders do the dirty work for Trump. Fear not, Trump has Russians for that. :p

What I think Sanders can do is to highlight the differences between them and how he's going to be proactive to bring services to people while Biden represents a return to the status quo where we're waiting on small reforms to maybe fix the market to maybe address our problems. If he's going negative on Biden, it should be to call him a conservative and a reactionary who will let the corporations continue to steamroll everyday Americans. And of course all those things apply to Trump too.

Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Again..... is it really all that persuasive for the Republicans to trot out the a 75 year old guy with signs of dementia and mental illness to claim that Joe Biden has signs of dementia?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Very Trump like response.

jiggyfly and justtxyank like this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If Sanders wants to lose in pathetic Mitt Romney type fashion, then what you are recommending is a brilliant plan for him to follow. If he wants to win this nomination, which this next few weeks will provide him his last chance in this lifetime to achieve, then he needs to go after Biden at his weak points, hammer and tongs.

If Sanders past campaign related behavior patterns are any indication, he will probably behave along the lines that your recommend and by doing so basically concede the race to Joe Biden. But the clock is ticking and this is his last chance at this. So, we will see.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

You guys can try to spin this however you like, but Biden's symptoms are on display for all to see. This is an issue for him - right now - and it will continue to be an issue for him, for as long as he continues in this race. Since this issue is already out there in no uncertain terms, and Sanders is being ganged up on by the Democrat establishment, yet again, he would be foolish to disarm himself of the issues that he has to win this race with. Sanders might do that, but if he does, his loss will be entirely on himself.

12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bernie Sanders is objecting to CNN's effort to assist Joe Biden in the upcoming Arizona debate on March 14 by organizing the debate in a 'Townhall' format, and that with the candidates seated instead of standing. Sanders is making the obvious observations that these moves are being made to accommodate Joe Biden's issues related to stamina and cognitive ability.

Biden pushes for sit-down debate format amid mounting health-related concerns

Bernie Sanders' campaign is accusing Joe Biden of pushing for a sit-down format at the March 15 presidential primary debate in Phoenix, according to a new report that highlights mounting concerns over the 77-year-old former vice president's stamina and cognitive ability.

Sanders' team raised the alarm about the sit-down format during a Friday call with CNN, which is set to moderate the debate along with the Democratic National Committee (DNC), Politico reported this weekend. All previous primary debates this cycle have required candidates to stand at podiums; and during his one-on-one debates with Hillary Clinton in 2016, Sanders stood alongside her.

"Why does Joe Biden not want to stand toe-to-toe with Sen. Sanders on the debate stage March 15 and have an opportunity to defend his record and articulate his vision for the future?" senior Sanders advisor Jeff Weaver told the outlet.

The Biden campaign denied it had anything to do with the proposed new format. Biden has stood for each of the previous debates, but the upcoming one-on-one with Sanders is expected to be a more grueling and taxing event.​

Maybe Bernie will step up and push these issues with Biden. Probably not, but now is the time, if he is going to.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's going to lose either way. I guess he'll choose for himself which way to go. But if I had my druthers, I'd rather he lose ethically than unethically. I don't think what you recommend has much chance of doing him any good though. I can see the benefit for Trump, but not for Sanders.

Regarding Mayor Pete, his decision to bow out before Super Tuesday remade the map and crowned Biden. He might have been incentivized with the promise of a position or something, but I don't believe he was forced out. He made a shrewd political calculation is all. Now, by doing so he put a lot of pressure on Klobuchar to follow suit, but I wouldn't say she was forced out either. It had been clear that some moderates needed to drop, and after South Carolina and the with looming prospect of many Southern states in Super Tuesday, it wasn't going to be Biden. They could see sticking around for Super Tuesday was a very improbable hail mary.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bernie and his bois are so desperate that they are pushing this "the establishment pushed out poor wittle Amy and wittle old Petey!"

Give me a break. Two candidates who had no way to win got out of the race. That's what happens.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  16. justtxyank

I'm genuinely amused at the hand wringing by Bernie supporters and by Trump supporters who wanted Bernie to win who are trying to create a conspiracy narrative because Bernie can't win a 1 on 1 race.

That's all this is about. Bernie is going to get trounced in a 1 v 1 race, again, and his supporters and Trump fans are mad. What they wanted was a bunch of candidates who couldn't win to divide up the vote so Bernie could be the nominee while winning 30-40% of the vote. That was the FAIR process. Anything else is corrupt!

joshuaao likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Within two days before Super Tuesday, they both just spontaneously decided to get out, without any external pressure. Not only do I not believe that, I do not believe that you believe it either.

To be fair, they were not "Forced" out. But they do appear to have been pushed towards the exit quite hard and quite fast by the Dem establishment in a manner that was pretty obvious to anyone who follows these matters with their brain turned on.

18. Nook

Nook Member

LOL At Sanders campaign operatives complaining about the debate being a sit down affair and insinuating that Biden had something to do with it.....

joshuaao likes this.
  19. justtxyank

They got out because South Carolina was a thumping beyond expectations and they realized before Super Tuesday what the game was. Did outside people talk to them? Yeah, probably so. Not for any nefarious reason though and that's my point.

Bernie isn't getting screwed. He has nothing to complain about.

This complaint, conspiracy theory, talking point, etc. basically boils down to "It isn't fair that Bernie Sanders has to win a 1 vs 1 contest." That's it.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Are you capable of completing basic tasks such as bathing and feeding yourself?

Invisible Fan likes this.