1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

No. Rashamon is quite incorrect.

For starters, any incumbent has a huge built-in advantage. He seriously has to fumble the ball not to get re-elected.

Second, who in the Hades are the Dems running? Needs to be a centrist Dem, but are there any left? (Heh. Bad word choice: "Are there any remaining?)"

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Can a centrist Dem win the nomination? Most of the activist voters who will be disproportionately represented at the polls for the primaries are on the hard left.

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

For the general election, maybe.

To get through the Dem primaries--no.

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Oh I know. A centrist Dem would have the best shot at beating the Orange Man. But a) I don't think there are any left and b) you're right, they'd have a hard time making it through the primaries.

Of course, a) and b) are related.

But, all bets are off (perhaps) if someone with the policies and charisma of Bubba shows up. But where is the Bubba of 2019/2020? He may not exist.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

They believe that have that person all lined up and ready to go. And his name is Beta O'Rourke (D-TX).

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Heh. Please Dems....*please* nominate Beta. OMG the Orange Man would eviscerate him.

MojoMan likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hypothetical question. let's say the Democrats' dreams come true and Trump is forced from office prematurely. Does any Democratic candidate fare well against a President Pence? does any Democratic candidate fare especially poorly in that matchup? hypothetically speaking of course.

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

A President Pence might even fare better than Orange Man in 2020, inasmuch as he (Pence) is more of a traditional conservative; thus getting better GOP turnout.

OTOH, McCain and Romney were traditional conservatives too, and look where that got them.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

what if the scandal of removing Trump from office is so draining that Pence is voted out in a Gerald Ford-like guilt-by-association reaction?

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well.....we're getting into some pretty severe hypotheticals here.

But, for your comparison, Pence would have to pardon Trump. That's what hurt Ford.

For speculation purposes, it's probably better to think about which Dem would end up running against the Orange Man.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm not so sure the pardon was the only thing that hurt Ford--Ford was also unelected as VP after Agnew resigned. I think voters resented that fact about Ford as well. Presumably Pence wouldn't have that disadvantage, but again I think the taint from being associated with Trump might cross over for moderate Republicans and independents to vote for a Democratic nominee.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Speaking hypothetically, all one has to do is look at the last time a president left office and his VP took over. Gerald Ford. I know, who? When that happened, Gerald Ford was extremely well liked and respected, both by the public and more so, by congress. He wasn't seen as "just a guy that looks longingly at trump" and wasn't pulled under by the Watergate Scandal (at least initially, he took hits for pardoning Nixon). But even after Ford was generally well liked.

Now, compare that to Pence. Is he well-liked? Respected? Has he successfully avoided being dragged into whatever trump leaves offices about?

Ford was largely a quiet president. I don't really recall anything he did (besides hitting people with golf balls and falling down... maybe Whip Inflation Now (WIN) buttons?). I suppose he was the right guy at the right time, as no one replacing Nixon could expect to have much power as president. Instead, I suspect just getting the country through the rest of Nixon's term was all that one could have expected.

Now, if someone well liked and especially respected in congress couldn't do anything (good or bad)... I really doubt pence will fair any better. In fact, I believe congress dislikes him. He will likely stay in the white house, counting the days.

btw, after Nixon came Carter. The anti-Nixon. Likable, humble, very moral. Both parties may be well-served to find that kind of candidate.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Over 1.1 million dislikes in less than a week, although YT is removing them it appears...

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Michael Bloomberg is apparently planning to use his enormous wealth to build his own "lane" in the Democrat nominating contest this time.

How Bloomberg plans to create his own lane in 2020
    ‘Bloomberg’s kind of money buys a lot of loyalty — or at least silence. Anyone else would be toast.’

White. Male. Old. A Wall Street billionaire.

At first glance, Michael Bloomberg would seem to have zero appeal in a Democratic Party where progressive populism is on the rise and activists and elites say it’s time for a woman or a person of color to win the White House.

But unlike any of the other presidential hopefuls, Bloomberg plays a dominant leadership role on two of the top issues on the minds of progressives heading into the 2020 cycle: climate change and gun control. He’s spent a decade as the nation’s preeminent financier on those issues, buying considerable goodwill in progressive circles. If he runs, those familiar with his thinking say, they’ll be the pillars of his campaign.​

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Worked for Donald

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Heh. YT playing stupid games is no surprise; they do it all the time.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think by ready the clown car he meant Trump's car