1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Read this and tell me you still want Redick?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by poprocks, May 14, 2008.

1. conquistador#11

"Or maybe I'd just want to grow my beard out and go backpacking in South America."

It's the movement of the new Nba, from pau to manu to calderon to morrison.
    he is willing to committ to the cause.
    Is he worth the no.8 pick, as some were suggesting 2 years ago? no. wait, was it 2 years ago? i've lost all track of time :(

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Redick actually looks better in my eyes after that article. Trade demands are usually bad, but he just wants to play. He's putting in the work for it, so I don't see any problems. He still doesn't know how limited he is, so that might be a problem. Things aren't going to get better for him on another team.

This talk about the Van Gundy's not developing players is hilarious. Who are they supposed to be developing? Head? Vspan? All their young players stink. They started Damon Jones and Chuck Hayes for an entire season, so they know about using guys in specific roles. None of their busts are going to "explode" on another team. The only one that's come close is Nachbar, and he's barely a super spare.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

id trade luther for jj in a second, he may not be great on defense but the way he runs around screens reminds me of rip hamilton and that drains the energy of whoevers guarding him quick, in my eyes his offense helps his defense

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'll go ahead and say JJ is probably a better pure shooter than Head.
    But what good is cutting if you can't finish around the basket? His only, ONLY area of contribution is outside jumpers set up for him by his man doubling off him or by design with him coming off screens.
    Unlike Luther Head, who's got a poor handle, JJ Redick is completely unable to put the ball on the floor, let alone drive, and he's probably as poor a passer as you could find at the guard position.
    JJ's smarts are limited to finding open spots on the floor to launch from.

"He's not that special on defense"...other players "aren't great" on defense...
    JJ Redick is a glowing liability that can't be hid in any scheme. Whether at the 2 or 1, he can't stay with his man (on or off the ball) nor can he hold his position if they post him. He has poor lateral movement, poor quickness, poor instincts, and can't contest anyone's shot. I'd be astonished to see him get his hand in the face of a shooter.

The NBA has almost no place for one-dimensional shooters that have no athleticism. If you can't at least play bad defense, if you don't have at least a poor handle, if you aren't at least a mediocore passer or rebounder....you aren't going to make a roster. Teams have little problem finding scorers. Winning teams fill their roster with balanced players.

Evan

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

of course he's a smart ball player :rolleyes:

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed. I hope Redick finds success in Europe. I think he could do very well for himself there.

7. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

That's all I got out of that post :D

Back on topic, the guy just wants to play, just like anybody in the NBA. You really can't say he's a headcase. I would try him out on the Rockets and see what Adelman can get out of him.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I could be totally wrong, but...

Is this comment in relation to his skin color?

I don't think most people are saying he's a smart player because he's white. I think they're saying he's a smart player because he nearly led the nation in scoring, on a top team, without half the athleticism of most guys he was up against. Nevermind the fact that teams game planned for him and he still lit them up for 30-40 points, which is pretty ridiculous for any college player, much less one that plays in the ACC. You can't do that if you're not a very smart player in terms of knowing how to get yourself open, and how to get your shot off.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I doubt that DD ever really has a point to make with posts like these. He's fine with exchanging deck chairs on the Titanic which is what he's proposing to do here with getting Reddick for Novak. Both are tremendous spot up shooters but both are slow as slow can be and cannot get open to make their shots. They'd also be complete black holes on defense which judging from the tenor of his post, would be just fine with DD. There's a reason why they find themselves sitting on the bench most nights and it's because they aren't good enough to crack the rotation.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

LOL

You think Novak wasn't the focal point of the offense when he was at college??

I'd say JJ>Novak

But unfortunately for JJ, JJ = Trajan Langdon.

End of story.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Trajan Langdon could have been an NBA rotation player. It's just that at the time, when he made the decision to play in Europe, it was much less common for players to go to Europe and then come back. Most of them stayed there. Mario Elie comes to mind. Anyways, Langdon is starring on the best team in Europe now (he led them in scoring in the championship game when CSKA Moscow won it this year) and has no desire to return to try to make it in the NBA.

I hope wherever JJ plays he gets a chance to prove that he belongs or does not. At least it's more of a fluid situation now where players in Europe are not instantly blackballed, although it's still extremely difficult.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Besides 2 inches in height, whats special trait does Kyle Korver do that you wouldnt halfway expect Redick to do?

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not saying he couldn't have been (in fact he was! 17mpg for Cleveland)

I'm just saying that unathletic 6'4 guards who can shoot the lights out don't tend to attract much more than novelty value in the NBA.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the 6'4 and under SG spot is like the 6'7 and under PF spot - namely, very rare to find a good player!

For those of you who say 'what difference does 1 or 2 inches in height make' - don't ask me, I'm just making the observation that not many 6'4 shooting guards have 'starting potential' in the NBA (like 6'7 and under PFs).

Anyway, I digress - Langdon was #11 pick in 1999, and he's got the same basic skillset as Reddick. He couldn't crack a starting job (too small, slow etc) and made it big in Europe. I think Reddick may well go the same way!

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

All this is true. Neither Langdon nor Redick should have been lottery picks, but the talent differential between Europe and the NBA is not so great anymore. Just because Langdon willingly left the NBA doesn't mean Redick cannot find a place to contribute.

But as you said, I too would prefer a long rangy-type back-up SG over Redick. Novak is our sharpshooter, he should be looking at Mike Miller, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Jason Kapono etc as the paragons to model his game after. We need athleticism in the backcourt, because right now every knock that you can make on Redick you can make on Head even more so. He's an inch shorter, smaller in build, worse in shooting, and has no defense or ballhandling either.

If I had to rank our options at the backup SG, I would go

1. Corey Maggette/Mike Miller/Ron Artest/Ramunus Siskauskas/other long veteran wings (none of these in exchange for Battier)
    2. CDR/Courtney Lee/Morey's choice for best available SG in the draft (hopefully not Rush or Ellington)
    3. JJ Redick/other unproven sharpshooting wings on other peoples' benches
    4. Luther Head

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's not what people mean by "high bball IQ" when they proceed that by saying he's a great shooter.

You just put a disclaimer on it by saying "in terms of knowing how to get yourself open."

That's not what was meant by the statement "high bball IQ" when referring to JJ Reddick. By that disclaimer, you have to say all shooters have high bball IQ above other players at their position. For godsakes...it's the defenders that have the higher bball IQ.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I didn't put a disclaimer on it, I just gave details. They're what good posts are made of.

Some great shooters just stand around and get wide open shots (Bullard, Bowen, Horry, etc.). Not that some spot up shooters don't have high basketball IQ, but it's not required to get that part of the job done.

So I'm strugg-a-ling to see how Redick's bball IQ isn't high. The problem to me is that he's not gifted physically and he's undersized for the NBA. Simple enough, really.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Totally agree - except I wouldn't have Luther at 4.

I can't see how he is an option for us at backup SG at all. You just can't waste another season on a 6'3 shooter who can't make his shot when the going gets tough.

Personally I'd be pursuing options 1 and 2 and shopping Luther around for anything - a late first round pick, a 2nd round pick, part of a package for backup C type.

For option (1) My order would be Artest/ Miller/ R Davis/ Maggette/ etc. I think picking up Artest is a pipe dream, but we can only hope he demands a trade to us...
    And I'd give up Battier only if it meant bringing back Artest or Tayshaun Prince.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The guy is fragile. Barely plays and has injury problems, yes he has one skill that he does well but I really don't know how you can consider him with all the other things that he doesn't do well.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Redick is smart PGab, because he starred at Duke, and you have to be intelligent to make it there.

That is the inference I am making.....

Redick is great coming off of screens, moves well without the ball and is a great fit for a motion oriented offense.

He is a better player than Luther, the only thing Luther has on him is experience, and Luther is a better athlete (though you would not know that by his defense).

And Redick has to be better at D than Novak, no one is as bad as he is on D.

I would take Redick over Luther and/or Novak any day of the week.

DD

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Novak and Head are better than Redick. Redick choked in crunch time in crucial games in college. He's slow footed and not athletic. He's basically Matt Maloney 2.0 but I don't think he's even that good.

Novak is clutch. He did hit that game winner against the Kings. He's tougher to block and rolls off the curl a lot better than Redick could thanks to his height.

Head is actually better than Redick as well. No one has questioned Head's performance in the regular season much. He makes strong cuts to the basket, and he shoots a good % behind the arc. It wasn't but a couple of seasons ago that he was shooting above 40% behind the arc. Redick can't claim the same.

It's only in the postseason that Head seems to wilt under pressure, and its because of that, that'd I'd rather trade him. However Redick would not be an upgrade. He's just as much of a choker as is evident in college. He's not nearly as athletic either and that's saying a lot.

Also I'm not trying to defend Head too much, but I think as far post season match ups go, the Jazz's physicality is probably the worst one of any playoff team. I really don't want to see what he'll do in the next postseason but I do think he'd perform better against a less physical playoff team.

Trade Head. Just not for Redick.