1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rays Pitcher shot

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

THis is the story from ESPN. Most of you know that my Brother-in-law plays for the D-Backs AAA team. Nick is one of his best friends. I have had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times and saw him pitch last season with the Rays. He is an extremely nice guy and I truly hope he is ok. Please keep him and his family and friends in your prayers.

CK

Bierbrodt in serious but stable condition
    Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays minor-league pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was shot and wounded Friday while sitting in a taxi waiting in a drive-through line at a fast food restaurant.

The left-handed pitcher, who was optioned to the Class A Charleston RiverDogs on Wednesday, was shot twice in the chest and once in the right arm shortly after 3 a.m., according to a police report.

Bierbrodt remained in serious condition at the Medical University of South Carolina late Friday, hospital spokesman Jeff Watkins said.

According to the report, Bierbrodt was in the right rear seat of the cab when a man rode up beside the cab on a bicycle.

Witnesses said there was a verbal exchange between Bierbrodt and the man who then fired two shots and rode off on the bicycle.

No arrests had been made late Friday.

Fellow RiverDogs pitcher John Vigue was a passenger in the car but was not injured, Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said.

''First and foremost on everybody's mind in the Devil Rays organization is on the health and well-being of Nick Bierbrodt,'' LaMar said. ''Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.''

Bierbrodt entered spring training as part of Tampa Bay's starting rotation, but struggled with his control and was replaced by right-hander Ryan Rupe.

A first-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 1996, Bierbrodt spent most of last season in the major leagues, jumping from Double-A to Triple-A to the big leagues with Arizona.

The 24-year-old Bierbrodt was acquired by Tampa Bay with outfielder Jason Conti from Arizona last July for pitcher Albie Lopez and catcher Mike DiFelice.

Bierbrodt went 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts at Tampa Bay after the trade.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Any ideas on why he was shot?

He is in my prayers.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not yet. My Brother -in-law has not talked to his mother yet. Apparantly the guy on the bike said something to him and he said something back. Then the guy pulled the gun on him.

4. drapg

drapg Member

this is an awful story... possible random act of violence? my prayers are with him, his family, you, and your family...