1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Manzarek dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, May 20, 2013.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I've always thought the Doors would not have been anywhere near as famous as they are without the keyboard playing of Ray Manzarek - to me, he was responsible for the unique sound of The Doors.

http://news.yahoo.com/keyboardist-ray-manzarek-doors-dies-age-74-214656257.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ray Manzarek, a founding member and keyboardist of 1960s rock group The Doors, died on Monday at age 74, the group's manager Tom Vitorino said.
    Manzarek died in Rosenheim, Germany, following a battle with bile duct cancer, the band said in a statement.
    Singer Jim Morrison and Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965 after a chance meeting at Los Angeles' Venice Beach, and Manzarek's keyboard work would go on to be a touchstone of hits like "Break On Through to the Other Side" and "Light My Fire."
    "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger said in a statement. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."
    Manzarek, who was born in Chicago in 1939, is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two brothers, a son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dsi1pJbF11s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dang. Rest in peace, Ray. I remain a big fan of the music and the story of The Doors.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

All of the good ones are going slowly, one by one. :(

4. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Saw the Doors movie recently. Just not into their music at all, but good movie.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hope somehow he is reunited with Jim now.

Ray was a great musician and an inspiration.

His organ work that helped define the band's sound will live on having sealed its place in rock and roll history from that period.

What an accomplishment! See you on the other side, Ray.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've been a big fan of The Doors since the mid-seventies. Great band, wish I could have seen them back in the day, but I'm not quite that old.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

RIP Ray :(

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z9IIn3R6_50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

RIP - good producer as well. I prefer X's version of Soul Kitchen to the original.

10. Raven

Raven Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i19TYrxTS2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Tonight I will light a single candle while listening to "light my fire" in his honor.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

gotta give you rep for X

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is the end my only friend

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Break on through to the other side Ray...

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Always loved the band. Take care

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Saw him with the 21st Century Doors with Ian from the Cult on vocals in 2003 at the VWT. It was a good show until Peace Frog at the end where there was full frontal nudity on stage by 4 lovely ladies. The show ended up being excellent! :grin:

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. How depressing. I'm so glad that I saw Ray and the guys at the Coliseum in Houston back in the day. They were great! Didn't hurt that the Moving Sidewalks opened for them with a hot set. I've always thought that the Doors stepped up their game a bit in response. Damn, what a blow to lose Manzarek. It reminds me of the passage of time, and I don't need more reminders. All I have to do is look in a mirror.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

pffft!