1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ratliff, an offseason aquisition?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Frank Black, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I'm just speculating of course. It would be nice to have Ratliff who's not too demanding of the ball and is a good defender/shot blocker. What do y'all think?

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

2. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

......assuming the Webber deal falls through. Or maybe we could get them both!

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

3. Thanos

Thanos Member

Ratliff has two more years in his contract, unless i´m mistaken.

he is staying put.

------------------
    President of the Official Welcoming Committee for Shareef Abdur-Rahim!

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but this doesn't rule out the possibility of a trade. I think a trade will be likely since no one wants to stay in Atlanta... but whether or not Ratliff ends up here in Houston will be interesting. The result likely hinges on how well Mr. Cato performs from here on out to the end of the season.

------------------
    "Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    Work like you don't need money, love like
    you've never been hurt, and dance like no
    one's watching."

5. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of a trade. Maybe a sign and trade deal involving Mo, or Cato and someone else...errr...Collier.

------------------

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

jeez... and why would Atlanta do that? Just send us a player that makes us better and them worse?

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

7. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Sherlock - For the same reason they traded Mutombo to Philadelphia I believe.

------------------

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Or the same reason they acquired Brevin Knight...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

9. Cat5

Cat5 Member

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think the Atlanta Hawks acquired Ratliff as a young defensive stoper to build around. I don't think they would trade him.

------------------

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Mutombo made it clear that he was not going to stay in Atlanta. He is a free agent at the end of the season. Ratliff was the best they could do with out loosing him for nothing in the summer.

With two years left on Ratliff's contract that are not faced with the same situation as they were with Mutombo.

So if they trade Ratliff it won't be for the same reasons as they had for trading Mutombo.

------------------

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The 76'ers managed to get Ratliff, a player who's locked up for several more years, and a couple of other "bit" players (one being Tony Kukoc) - I'm guessing that they're going to be building around those players.

They have Jason Terry as their main offensive threat and I guess they're hoping that Brevin Knight can recapture some of his past form and average 7-8 assists per game - combine that with what looks to be a high draft pick to select a genuine banger at PF and they might be a halfway decent team next year.

There's NO WAY that they would trade Ratliff for our loose change!

------------------