1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw it the other day. I enjoyed it enough to give it an ‘8’. The pacing was great and time flew watching it. The cast was a great ensemble. I didn’t want to like it coming in.

2. Fantasma Negro

Glass Onion

Not as good as Knives Out but still a pretty decent movie. I was a little put off by the covid masks at the beginning but I was happy to see them go pretty quickly. It took an entire hour to set the plot and then the movie took a turn that was pretty interesting. Janelle Monae' was okay. Ed Norton was pretty good. Kate Hudson didn't bring much. I'm still trying to figure out who or what exactly Batista's character was suppose to be. Leslie Odom didn't do much. Madelyn Cline is sexy as **** but had like four lines. And Daniel Craig pretty much mails it in. All in all its obvious why this movie wasn't widely distributed in theatres and it has a couple of plot holes but its not a bad movie and I did appreciate to tribute to Sandra Bland.

6.4 /10

TimDuncanDonaut and studogg like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched the Fockers trilogy over the past couple of nights with the family. The first one holds up pretty well, so did the second one. Third one not so much. Maybe a 7/10 for Meet the Parents, 6.5/10 for Meet the Fockers, and 5/10 for the last one

4. Fantasma Negro

Wakanda Forever

This movie is a chore to get through. First off it feels like two different movies mashed together, one as a tribute to T'Challa/Chadwick and another a triple origin story vehicle to launch future marvel projects. The Riri character is completely out of place in this movie and nothing she says or does makes any logical sense. She's smart enough to create a vibranium sniffing machine, an Ironperson suit, and can operate the Wakandan weapons after seeing them for a second but couldn't rebuild a car engine.

The script/dialogue is awful. Nobody talks like this. Everyone is trying to sound powerful and impactful instead of just talking, just ****ing talk. This Riri character is easily the most annoying person in this movie. She supposed to be a genius but sounds like an idiot. Martin Freeman and JLD have no purpose in this movie and that is shown if the effort put into their dialogue.

M'Baku comes off as a rube, in fact all the men in this movie besides KillMonger come off as idiots. KillMonger is the coolest character in this whole movie and he's only in it for like five minutes.

The movie feels longer than two and a half hours, it just drags and drags and drags, then there's a massive battle that ends as quickly as it started then the movie is over.

The fight sequences are as bad as the costumes.

The story itself is actually pretty good, its too bad the script is so bad.

Angela Bassett even with a bad script acts her ass off, that woman is incapable of a bad performance. Michael B Jordan was great. Letitia Wright also delivered at time a weighty performance and did a great job conveying her emotions as a woman in morning, I found myself rooting for her, and not just because she's a Gooner. The Shuri character was crowded by Riri, Nakia, Okoye and Ramonda and she still shines. Lupita was only in this movie for the post credits, to which I had to look up the time that had past between the first film and WF because I had some questions but it makes sense I guess. Winston Duke was in the movie, that's about I can say about his performance. They dance with the idea of a relationship between Shuri and M'Baku in this movie, so we'll be seeing him hold a purse in the future. If Dominique Thorne was supposed to portray an annoying foul mouthed, know-it-all college student, she succeeded. She annoyed the **** out of me, her only saving grace was the sight of that sweet round ass in some red lycra pants near the end of the movie. Apparently she has a series, Ironheart, coming up next year on Disney+ and this movie was sort of her backdoor pilot. Tenoch Huerta's Namor was a dull p***y, I hope to never see that character again. Once again Martin Freeman and JLD are in this movie for no reason.

This movie isn't good enough to had made a billion dollars but it did so there's definitely going to be another one. The director, Ryan Coogler, has shown that he can put together a good screenplay and a good enough cast, my hope is that he hires a better script writer, costume designer and fight choreographer for Black Panther 3.

4.5/10

#9784 Fantasma Negro, Dec 25, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  5. Fantasma Negro

Babylon

This movie is three full hours long and unapologetically in-your-face. The movie gets away from itself a bit in the third hour and showed glaring repetitive resemblances to other movies about hollywood. There is a lot going on in this movie, multiple times I had to ask myself "what the **** is going on?" The party scene at the beginning of the movie is too damn long. I get they were trying to convey over the top debauchery but it tip toed on the edge of glorification.
    Brad Pitt is basically DiCaprio's Rick Dalton character from Once upon a Time..., but if he'd never started doing westerns in Italy.
    Margot Robbie has some great moments in this movie, but there were times where she reminded me of her playing Sharon Tate other times Harley Quinn. She has some bad lines in this movie that are supposed to be funny but just aren't. She's becoming very one note as an actress.
    Jovan Adepo as Sidney Palmer was great. We got to see Sidney's rise into the hollywood scene but when he put in a compromising position we didn't get to see the total fallout of that situation, no fault of the actor.
    Diego Calva as Manny Torres is the true protagonist of this movie. As the audience we get to see Manny go from errand boy getting shat on by an elephant to fixer that could solve any problem to a hollywood big shot.

4.4 / 10

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Kate Hudson brought a sex pack to the pool scene - Rowr

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I couldn't make it through 20 minutes of the new Matrix movie -- just unreal how bad everything was.

Deckard, Blake, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

some family movie watching over the Christmas break. We watched Spirited with Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds, lots of fun, not a perfect movie, but a great light-hearted take on the Scrooge story. This one will likely stand the test of time and become one of those movies folks will watch every year. probably an 8.5/10

The we watched Matilda the Musical. Both my wife and daughter had seen the Broadway version, daughter loved it, wife hated it ("too many kids running around the stage screeching"). Both liked the movie version--best thing here is you can put on the subtitles and follow along with the songs which are very fast-paced. The kid who plays Matilda is good, Emma Thompson as Trunchbull is appropriately over-the-top, Miss Honey actress is very good, and the songs are great. Would have liked to see Stephen Graham a bit more in this version, not nearly as memorable as Danny DeVito from the original movie. Another 8.5 or so out of 10

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Babylon - I enjoyed it more than most but there's no denying it's overstuff and unfocused. B+

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish - Didn't really think this would be the best movie I'd watch this past weekend but it was. Really solid family film, close to Shrek 1 & 2 in terms of quality IMO. - A-

I Wanna Dance with Somebody - It faithfully recreated all the big musical moments from Whitney's life but does do much else. The dramatic portions are really weak, almost afterthoughts. C+

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When I saw the ads for this the first thing I thought of was how much if it all they would get into her insane cocaine/ crack use -- there are so many crazy stories -- she could give Richard Pryor or Charlie Sheen a real challenge.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The drug use is addressed, mostly in the final act, but its done with a Lifetime movie approach....

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agree. We went and watched Seven Psycopaths and In Bruges as well. All pretty much 9/10. Liked In Bruges most of all.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Interesting, I liked this movie.

Any movies you would rate 8/10+ in the last couple years or so?

clos4life likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Was it Buck that suggested The Survivor a million pages ago? I think so. 9/10 The Survivor: "I'm all thinking he's going to go mano a mano against Rocky Marciano isn't he? womp womp. But that's not what the movie is about. The movie is about living with Survivor's syndrome and still trying to adjust in America. Danny Devito didn't get any run for any awards. Too little screen time maybe? But I thought he was great.
    This movie took me down a Ben Foster movie rabbit hole where I ended up watching "Get over it." a teen drama from 2001 starring OG Spidey's MJ, eveen Ben's voice is so different.
    .[​IMG]

Get over it, Starz- 7/10, Nostalgic, cheesy and very enjoyable for a 2000s teen dramedy.

15. Fantasma Negro

Compared to Knives Out, I found Glass Onion was incredibly lazy. Movies I've rated highly in the last couple of years:
    Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
    10 / 10

Ingrid Goes West
    9.0 / 10

Judas and The Black Messiah
    8.5 / 10

The Green Knight
    8.5 /10

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    8.5 / 10

The Little Things
    8.3 / 10

8-Bit Christmas
    8.3 / 10

No Time to Die
    8.0 / 10

Copshop
    8.0 / 10

Dark Tower
    8.0 / 10

Pig
    7.3 / 10

16. dmoneybangbang

Puss In Boots: Last Wish - A

....just as good as all the reviews are saying. Really surprised with how creative it was with the story telling and animation.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

watched this last night and agree with pretty much everything you say here. decent movie, nothing great. 6 or 7 out of 10

Also watched Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent a couple of weeks ago. Fell asleep about 2/3 through and haven't felt the need to go finish it. "Decent movie" again, nothing special, probably a 6/10

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I mean, it took place during covid, but then these uber rich people get this magical spray and "they're cool". I think you missed the point.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The biggest plot hole of knives out sequel
    the billionaire had no reason to allow the detective stay to play his game especially if Ed Norton planned to "clean up" loose ends.

It only works on first viewing because you didn't know who to suspect but the misdirections were more contrived emotionally than logically

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Saw “Belfast” last night. I rate it as feckin great