1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw it at a local Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin and it was well worth wearing a mask the entire time. I read the novel when it came out in 1965 and read it again years later. Unlike some SF from that period, it has aged well, in my opinion. This film, while not "perfect" (as if any film adaptation of an award winning novel ever has been), is far and away better at capturing Herbert's vision than I could ever had hoped for. Much truer to the source than Jackson's excellent effort with Lord of the Rings.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Never really understood the over the top praise for that movie I would probably give it a 7.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

At the website thedrive.com there's a section called The War Zone that's about things military (things military being a hobby of mine). One of their writers, Tyler Rogoway, who also writes about defense at other places, posted a review there of Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/12954/rogoways-reviews-christopher-nolans-war-epic-dunkirk

He liked the movie, but had some of the same issues with it that I had (and I also enjoyed it). In the film, the beach is largely empty. In truth, there were upwards of 400,000 troops, British and French, as well as smaller numbers of other nationalities, desperate to get off. In the comment section of his review, someone pointed to a 5 minute tracking shot from the excellent film Atonement, directed by Joe Wright, that he said does a far better job of showing that beach at Dunkirk. I tend to agree. Here it is:

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was ok. Fun. The time went by pretty fast until the last half hour

Rocket River

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not a rating but was recently re-watching some of the "Friday the 13th" films around Halloween and never realized what was being said as the repeating, chilling vocal sound effect in the iconic theme for the films. I always thought the vocal sound effect was "get get get...out out out"...as in you are about to die so GTFO of there. That is what it always sounded like to me. But, found a story that mentioned what is actually being said is "ki ki ki...ma ma ma" and it comes from the words kill and mommy reduced down to two syllables. This was mentioned by the film composer Harry Manfredini in a 2015 interview. This was also reinforced in the 2017 video game "Friday the 13th: The Game" where it spelled it out on a loading screen. The letters were taken from the original film where Pamela Voorhees, played by actress Betsy Palmer, says "Kill her, mommy!" in Jason's voice. But, unbeknownst to me, most people actually thought it was "ch ch ch...ah ah ah" that was being said in the theme music.

Anyway, I guess my subconscious when I saw the original film for the first time way back when decided it was "get get get....out out out"...which I believed up until tonight when I looked into it and found to be incorrect. Whatever you thought it was, you now know the story.

peleincubus, FrontRunner and ico4498 like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good description. I didn't fall asleep. Well, maybe dosed a little towards the end. Had a dream I was hitchhiking in Europe.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Some of y'all's recommendations...

Pitiful.

Best comedy ever.

Bono likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Old Henry - 7/10
    Trailer is 90% of the movie. A little light in the plot.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My 5 Wives- 9/10

Dont even remember the plot but Rodney Dangerfield one liners, all day every day.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Batman the Long Halloween.

Great plot and you actually get involved in the whodunnit.

It was the best cartoon comic movie I have seen in awhile,

Surprised it was pg-13 it could have been an R-rated movie.

i3artow i3aller and GRENDEL like this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I was like most people until I watched part 1 of The Complete History of Friday the 13th (only I thought there was a "b" or a "p" in front of the ah"). If you're a fan of the films I think you'll enjoy watching it.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched 3 Billboards for the 3rd time last night. It never gets old. Great lines and shock value. It is one of my favorites, but I doubt I watch it as many times as I have Pulp Fiction. Give it 9 out of 10 still.

If you like the movie I highly recommend Six Shooter, also written and directed by Martin McDonagh. It's fantastic for a 27 minute movie. So much happens in such a short time. It's another darkly humorous flick. You can watch it on YouTube. I give it 9 out of 10 too, for it's originality and shock value. Great acting and script.

#9472 deb4rockets, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    i3artow i3aller and ico4498 like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Nobody - 10/10
    Plot is paint by numbers, but very well done.

14. Buck Turgidson

"The Watermelon" episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the best in a long time.

15. Buck Turgidson

I liked it a lot. You knew what it was going in, but the relationship between Henry and the Boy was very nice.

Plus, it was a pretty badass western.

No Worries likes this.
  16. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Ford vs Ferrari on 4k. All I can say is WOW. Really like Matt Damon in this movie. Outstanding visual and sound. 10/10

zeeshan2 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just watched Finch on apple. Really enjoyed it. But I like dogs more than people. Goodyear reminded me of my labradoodle.

18. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Went to see Ghostbusters Afterlife. If you are a fan of the first movie you will love it. The right mix of new characters mixed with nostalgia. In my opinion this is how you restart a movie franchise. Two end credit scenes. For me 9 out of 10. Really enjoyed it

ryan_98 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dune: 7/10

One of my favorite directors, one of my favorite books.

Incredibly disappointed at the lack of risk-taking. Impressively dull, and I am a fiend for dry science fiction. I bathe in that ****. As a stand-alone movie, I was MASSIVELY disappointed. Feels like a pilot for a promising TV show.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Red Notice - 3/10

Combine every movie you've seen with the Rock and every movie you've seen with Ryan Reynolds and you get this movie.

zeeshan2 and FrontRunner like this.