1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’m sure there would be a number of dead people just flabbergasted that you haven’t seen all of Charlie Chaplins finest 1910’s flicks, but the reality is nearly everything’s going to go out of style for the vast majority of people.

clos4life likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Good movies are good movies.

Would you say the same thing about novels?

mikol13 and GRENDEL like this.
  3. lpbman

lpbman Member

Not OP, but yep! it just takes longer.... Not many reading Shakespeare, Thoreau, or Brontë these days. Unless it is for school.... but you're probably still watching Chaplin for film school.

Music too. Elvis isn't getting much radio play these days.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

This is silly.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yea I mean everything, people consuming content of whatever kind that is made decades, or centuries, or millenniums before they are born is relatively very rare in comparison to modern content, outside of education.

The % of people in their 20's who have seen (name random shitty movie on the front page of netflix) vs the most amazing movies of the 40's is completely incomparable.

I saw the titanic for the first time last year, movie came out a couple of months after I was born, I didn't have cable growing up, never had the movie channels. Don't hate me it's just the way my life panned out ;)

I will say, movies and music are a bit different from written content to a good extent though. It's honestly hard for me to watch a lot of the westerns made in the '50s due to just how bad the production quality is in comparison to modern films. Same for really old music that isn't re-made to modern standards.

6. Buck Turgidson

"...by and large..."

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You're a judgemental fcker aren't ya

Get back to me with all the deets on the louis le prince pictures, you're kind of uncultured swine if you don't

Buck Turgidson and clos4life like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Watched this on your recommendation and really enjoyed it. Damn near cried at the end.

7.8/10

So I guess I’m going to tackle Cry Macho with Clint Eastwood before the games start today.

dmoneybangbang and Deckard like this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

10. Buck Turgidson

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Im not sure the number of movies people haven’t watched is a great bar for the estimation of intelligence though lol

I watched pale rider last night, the sexualization of Clint by ... his daughter? and the women was a bit weird.

I enjoyed Richard Kiel’s performance

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree about the end. Didn't expect to feel that way and it surprised me.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I think you misread that entire movie.

I'm scared to recommend a western to you now, or hell, any movie in general.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What did I miss lol

15. dmoneybangbang

I love this scene....

"We ready professor?"

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I watched Cry Macho over the weekend, yikes it was painfully slow.

Everything about it just feels phoned in, the kid who's the main costar is pretty terrible....a real shame since it could have been a capper for Eastwood's western characters.....

D

mikol13 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Saw a few on Netflix:

Prey - 5 out of 10. German movie about a bunch of guys going on a river rafting trip and someone is shooting at them. The expected drama bits between member of the trip including two brothers. And the reason why they are being shot at. Some decent parts must sorta slow moving and a number of WTF did they do that parts.

The River Runner - 7 out of 10. Documentary about an extreme kayaker (Scott Lindgren). Scenic, lots of great kayaking action. Some interesting parts about how kayakers tend to bond in the past versus more present times.

Respect - 8 out of 10. Biopic on Aretha Franklin. Good performances by Jennifer Hudson, Forrester Whitaker, Marlon Wayans, and Skye Dakota Turner as young Aretha. Some parts dragged a bit, but of course lots of great music that carries the movie.

Sorry, I didn't see Respect on Netflix (it was a rental off Prime).

#9417 NewRoxFan, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    GRENDEL likes this.
  18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ford Vs Ferrari - 8/10
    Was a really good movie and thought Damon and Batman had great chemistry together. Definitely a must see for any car people out there.

Mortal Kombat - 2/10
    I get they're setting up for sequels but the main character was super cringey and lame. I don't even remember his name but every scene he was in it was terrible. Remove that dude and it would of been a decent movie. Kano definitely stole the show in that movie.

mikol13, GRENDEL and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Via Tubi app:

Running Scared - 6/10

Paul Walker and Vera Farmiga, "Every bullet leaves a trail" is the movie poster quote. Check it out if you're into 2006 movies or Paul Walker.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Reminiscence - B-. Cool scenery/idea, but weird combo of noir and sci fi