1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This Is England (90%) - To quote a reviewer, "Meadows brings together the various elements perfectly, balancing sharp social commentary with realistic wit and humor." That's pretty much how I felt about it. It's very good, and on some levels it's amazing. Most notably, the performance by the lead character. When I found out after the movie that it was his debut performance, I was floored. I would definitely give this a look even if you're on the fence, as it's one of the rare breed of moving, resonating films that doesn't feel like it runs on forever and ever (98 minute run time).

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Recently saw two:

Vacancy - ***
    Was somewhat scary, here and there, if a bit predictable. High up on the weird scale, and at least there was a plot of some sort.

The Strangers - **1/2
    Also somewhat scary and in the same way as vacancy, if also predictable. This one was starts with some decent acting and a pseudo mystery as to what is the social issue between the protagonists, but slowly deteriorates into a pointless nothing. It's tense at times, but in the end, there is little substance, and none of the story ends up meaning anything. Yawn.

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Slumdog Millionaire- 9/10

Tropic Thunder- 5/10

Gran Torino- 9/10

Dark Knight- 8/10

Pinnapple Express - 5/10

The Unborn - 1/10

4. ClutchCityReturns

"You had a twin brother...but he died in the womb. So now he's going to come back as a boy that's half your age, because that makes sense..."

5. Steve_Francis_rules

I haven't seen the movie, but I noticed that in the trailer and it really bothered me.

6. ClutchCityReturns

I haven't seen it either...and won't be :p

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

10/10. Best movie ever made. Just watched it today again for like the 20th time. A more flawless piece of cinema you will never see.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just recently saw that for the first time a few months ago.

It was great. Way ahead of its time.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I rewatched the trilogy a couple of weeks ago. I'm with you. It's the best movie ever made.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

"My Best Friend's Girl"

1/10

Dane Cook, who I never knew before this film, is horrible.

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Hot Rod - 9.5/10 - Maybe the most underrated comedy in the last decade.

In Bruges - 9/10 - Not at all what I expected. Incredible acting and themes.

12. moose

moose Member

The Lake House - 3/10 wow this movie was terrible and moved way to quickly.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My wife and I loved this flick, although you can probably guess what we might change in the screenplay, given the chance (don't say anthing!). We spent a week in Bruges several years ago and it is just as amazing as it looks in the movie. Terrific place to visit, if one wishes to step back into history in a way that's increasingly hard to find these days.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

i assume you mean the ridiculous ending, which ruined the movie for me. colin farrel is a great, underrated actor though.

15. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

I watched IRON MAN for the first time last night.. its was awesome. Ide give it a 9/10...

16. ClutchCityReturns

Resident Evil: Degeneration (63%) - Pretty terrible in the beginning, but it picked up and some of the action sequences were fairly well done. Gains points for the fact that it stays more true to the franchise than the live action movies, and loses points because the lip movements were about as badly synced as one could ask for. Very distracting.

17. aghast

aghast Member

Herzog is indifferent to such insignificant sniping:
    <object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylXqc8TQ15w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylXqc8TQ15w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I really enjoyed this. Solid 8/10. Saw an interview with Steve Zahn where he said he kept passing out because of his self-imposed starvation. Batman didn't man up and drop down to 120 like he did in The Machinist . Where was the commitment? Is it even acting if you lose less than 60 pounds?

Absolutely. Perfect film, inspiring, art for art's sake. Pettit's on Colbert tonight.

18. ClutchCityReturns

I told you guys, I can't stop watching movies...

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (86%) - It's a unique take on your usual heist movie, if you can even call it that since it's much more about the aftermath of the event. On the positive side I didn't find it too predictable, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing yet again, and there were several lengthy shots of a naked Marisa Tomei. On the downside, I found the flashback style storytelling to be disruptive at times. Overall, a rather well done movie that's absolutely worth the watch.

#58 ClutchCityReturns, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Gran Torino: 8/10 Eastwood carries the movie.
    The Wrestler: 7/10 Was expecting a lot but was dissapointed.
    Slumdog Millionaire: 9/10 Great, great film.
    Milk: 8.5/10 Lots of gayness in this but still a good movie.
    The Unborn: 1/10 Haven't even seen it but scroll up to ClutchReturns' post.
    Mall Cop: 7/10 It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Shutter: 1/10 Wow.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Not to pick on you or anything, but you seriously think that Paul Blart: Mall Cop was equal to The Wrestler. :confused: