1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

No Country for Old Men - 9/10

Great dialogue, great pace, loved all the intricate details like changing the tense from present to past while someone was dying... only thing that ruined this movie was Javier Bardem's voice. Couldn't decipher his English, especially when he would deliver "punchlines". Really pissed me off since I don't recall having the problem in Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Burn after Reading - 6/10

Poor plot, sometimes it feels like the Coen Brothers get lazy after a strong buildup. Acting and dialogue was terrific, thought the pacing was discombobulated at times and having all the characters lack depth and principles added to the mediocre ending. Thought the Taiko drums fit in well with the Washington + CIA background.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Milk - 7/10

The movie was pretty good, but kinda gay at the same time.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Most overrated movie of the last few years imo. I thought it was very average. The normal movie fan was captivated because they thought they saw a deep and unique movie. I thought it was very simple and the ending was a cop out

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree!

Rocket River

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Only a schill without perspective would draw such a shallow conclusion.

People who b**** about the ending are just too used to popcorn flick, played-out, conclusions in which the story ends. You crave a formulaic ending to satisfy your instincts to be entertained by a systematic predictability. You do not see the art that is being portrayed, nor stop to ponder the philosophical meanings of such a film.

You are the reason that Larry the Cable Guy has appeared in more films than Christopher Nolan or Darren Aronofsky has directed. You demand to be cheaply entertained.

No Country was without a doubt the best movie of 2008 and the novel by Cormac McCarthy is outstanding. The movie is a thing of beauty artistically. The intensity of the villain is not unlike the feeling of impending death. The soundtrack is understated and haunting.

Anybody who disagrees with me, most every critic, and the Academy obviously has inferior taste in films and should go back to thinking mindless drivel like those god-awful Tyler Perry movies are cinematic achievements.

#285 moestavern19, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Watchmen...7/10 eh, I guess I expected more...it was aight, but nothing I'd want to see over and over again...don't get me wrong, there were some great parts, but it seemed to drag...

I won't be buying the dvd...although, the t&a may convince me otherwise...

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Moes, though I agree with you that it was a good flick (though a bit boring, as are all movies when compared to their novel counterparts), the way you just presented what is basically, your OPINION, is very unsettling. I mean geez, are you always that condescending or did you just have a bad day?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW!
    Should be bow to your superiority or just kiss the ring?

Good and bad - are nothing more than opinions
    better and Worse . . .the same

Please enlighten us on the Philosophical ending and its meaning
    for those of such 'simple' minds

I honestly never listen to critics
    what makes their opinions better or worse than anyone elses
    If an art cannot reach the people. . .it is crap
    It is a poor artist that blames 'the people' for not 'getting him'

I am sure the makers of Two Girls and One Cup
    think the rest of the world is just to pentup and prudish to 'get it'

that does not make it so . . . .

Rocket River

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

twilight - 5/10 ---watched this over the weekend to see what all the hubbub was about and I wasnt too impressed. I am sure the book is leaps and bounds better than the movie, but from my initial impression if the book roughly is just a more fleshed out version of the main story arc i probably will not waste my time reading the book. not really my type of romance story. also i felt that the actor who played edward was terrible.

transporter 3 6/10 ---that is being generous really because i just find the character of frank martin to be soo bad ass. horrible acting by the european girl and the forced bad english made it a lot worse. also i wasnt even sure why the heck they even needed a transporter for her. it was a very very poor story line but lucky had the standard cool fight sequences and chase scenes so those part entertained me but the rest was blah.

role models (unrated) 8.5/10 ---a really funny movie really i thought should have gotten more pub last year but didnt. the kids (especially ronnie) make the film but rudd and stifler have their moments. i feel the unrated version was a bit lame since the extra added footage wasnt really anything crucial to the movie and didnt add any extra boobies. if you havent seen this one highly recommeneded.

underworld rise of the lycans: 6.5/10 --- i actually enjoy the underworld movies and this one wasnt too bad, but something was lacking from it in some ways. some decent fight scenes and all, cgi wasnt too bad. i am glad i didnt see it in theaters but if you are a fan of the other two movies you should check it out.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

11. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

just saw twilight and felt like i had read a teen romance novel. i had to wash the gay off me.

role models was a bit disappointing. love phil rudd, but never really got into the movie. not a prude, but the constant vulgarity of the little kid was a bit much for me.

transporter 3 and underworld are next on the agenda. jason stratham is just a bad ass, so how bad could it be. underworld without a beckinsale in tight leather might not be the same.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I b**** about the ending because it was a cop out. It was obvious and simple. It was easy for anyone to understand, thats why I didn't like it. IMO, so many people thought it was "deep" and unique" because of the fact is was so simple while being somewhat different. For example, a movie I thought was better that year was There Will be Blood. That movie had a fantastic ending and the characters and acting were fantastic. Don't you dare call me someone who enjoys Larry the Cable Guy or Tyler Perry. I see good movies most of the time and I was not impressed by NCFOM.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Definitely an underrated comedy, one of the best of the year imo.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Pinocchio - 3 outta 5. I think that cricket was too preachy.

15. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Let The Right One In - 8.5/10
    IMDB
    Finally a good vampire movie.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - 9/10
    IMDB
    Great movie.

16. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Watchmen - 8.5/10 It was really good I thought, kinda stupid sometimes but overall a solid good movie.

17. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Blindness - 2/10

I hated it. It didn't even make sense most of times.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Street Kings - 4/10 ... it was entertaining enough to keep away from boredom for a couple of hours, but nothing special at all, which I didn't really expect it to be. Too many twists and turns, and the main character gets out of some ridiculous life-threatening situations (ie Jack Bauer, but only Bauer can pull those off to me ;)).

The Bank Job - 6.5/10 ... would've been a little better without the British accent. I had to process everything they were saying so much that it was hard to keep up.

Swing Vote - 5.5/10 ... the first half was on pace to be a lot better than I expected it to be, but then it lagged and became very repetitive.
    The whole movie is just the little girl being upset at her dad for his laziness/lack of political knowledge and it's just a cycle of that happening over and over until he finally goes and makes his vote

19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Watchmen 1.5 of 10

Horrible movie.

20. xcharged

xcharged Member

It truly was an EPIC FAIL.