1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wall Street 2 or whatever it was called. The Charlie Sheen cameo was gold. Finally watched it over the weekend. Loved it! Not sure why it got so many bad reviews?

8.5/10.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You really liked it? I've yet to see the flick, although I'm a huge fan of Wall Street (even have a Blu-ray copy). This moves up my list of films to see.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It was alright. Not great, but worth watching. I'd give it a 7, maybe 7.5.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Thanks for posting that. One of my all-time favorite movies.

Saw Black Swan on a long flight - great, great movie. 9.5/10.
    Watched Barbarella some time ago after having not seen it in ages. Still campy and weird, and Fonda is still otherworldly hot. 6/10.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Social Network - 8/10
    Might rate it higher upon further viewings, but not epic as I was expecting from some reviews. Still a good movie though.

Sucker Punch - 5/10
    Music video meets video game meets anime fan service. Great visuals and editing during the action scenes. I'd rather just watch the action stitched together with no context and be done with it. It didn't match at all, 10 for the action, 1 for the rest of the movie. Catch it on Netflix instead.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - 6/10
    Fun, kind of fluffy, yet still thought provoking all at once. Is it real, is it not? When is something art? Does it matter? I could do more searching on the internet for the story, but it's more fun not knowing. Recommended when you've nothing else urgent queued up to watch.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Oh,
    Heck.
    No.

Great for kids. Mind numbingly bad for adults.

Lincoln Lawyer - 8/10. I like Michael Connelly novels, so I liked this.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I want to see this one. . . . it looks good

Rocket River

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Limitless was very good. Extremely interesting premise. Action packed. Ending was a bit surprising. Overall, one of the most intriguing movies I have seen in awhile.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I really enjoyed Wall Street II as well. I give it 8/10.

The whole movie script took real life events that happened in the financial world collapse and placed them in the movie.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Just saw "A Moment to Remember", a Korean film. It's a tear jerker. I highly recommend watching it with your S.O. 7/10. It can be slow at times, though.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I agree. Beautiful movie. I need to watch it again.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Finally saw Zombieland...pretty good, but not on the same level as Shaun of the Dead. And I almost wish they had gone all out, because I kinda feel they didn't quite push the envelope of creativity when it came to killing the zombies.

6/10

13. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[​IMG]

Solaris (2002)

9/10

I liked the '72 version by Andrei Tarkovsky, and I watched this when this in theaters when it came out. I remember being exhausted from work that day, and I passed out in the middle of the movie.

I was hesitant about re-watching it last night for its low imdb score, but I did anyway. This was a very good movie that was deceptively marketed which I assume is one of the primary factors for people not liking it, and why it bombed at the BO. This version is more accessible than the Russian one thanks to Steven Soderbergh's great direction, so I highly suggest you watch this instead.

Fans of Gattaca, Blade Runner, and 2001: A Space Odyssey will like this. Keep away from this if you like action-packed sci-fi with linear plots like Avatar, Aliens, or Terminator 2.

Its eerie, minimalist, slow, dreamy, and surreal style conveyed deep emotions and themes like existence vs. the after-life, God, the nature of love and reality, memories and their affect on perception, etc.

Cliff Martinez does a fantastic job with the hypnotic electronic soundtrack.

After watching this movie, these excellent threads explain what happened:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/board/flat/168931087
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/board/flat/156548739

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Rescue Dawn: 6/10...not much to say...

House of Flying Daggers: 7/10...great visually, but the story was just ok...

15. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Just saw Life Is Beautiful

10/10

What an amazing movie from beggining to end... great plot, great characters.

If you haven't seen this, you will laugh until your tears come out and enjoy all kind of different emotions. All in all, its a very good movie..

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Finally saw Inglorious Basterds last night.

I'm mixed on Tarantino usually. I think Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance (which he wrote but did not direct) are all incredible films, but it seems the success went to his head and a lot of times his movies these days are too mired with his own self-indulgence and egotism that it takes away from the art.

But Inglorious Basterds was indeed a good film, Christoph Waltz steals the show obviously with an incredible performance, and I think without him the film would have really lost its identity otherwise. As much as the Basterds are a noble idea, and the re-imagining of history is creative, the film still has to have that human element, and I just wasn't feeling it as much from most of the characters. But that is kind of a common theme with Tarantino, the dialog exists in and of itself to reveal the personalities in how they interact with others.

Sometimes the character becomes so stylized that it loses too much touch in reality for it to really be considered a true work of art (Kill Bill for instance is a fun movie, but lacks any real substance).

I thought the movie's opening sequence was quite poignant and gripping, sucking you in right away. I found myself highly entertained throughout.

8/10.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

New Connelly book featuring Haller came out this week - The Fifth Witness.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Karate Kid (2010).

5/10

Jackie Chan made this an average flick. If they would have gotten some no name, non-action star it would easily be total trash.

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

Salt

7.5/10

I liked the movie, it was somewhat predictable but does the job for an action thiller flick.

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

The Solaris remake is a BIG FAT turd. 5/10

Another BIG turd I've recently saw is The Green Hornet. This is bad on every level and Seth Rogen should need to disappear forever. 3.5/10