1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. what

what Member

You have got to be kidding me. First of all, this one trumps the original, yet you give it a 5 out of 10? I am seriously questioning your taste in movies. I mean not to be racist but I doubt that you could find even 1 percent of the entire population that saw the original when it came out that shares your view on this (except probably in the black community). If you didn't like the original movie you shouldn't be comparing it to this one, especially a remake that is as controversial as this movie was when it came out.

The best thing you can really say about this remake of the Karate Kid was that Will Smith and Company didn't disgrace the legacy of the original film with this vehicle movie for Jayden.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Little Children was good movie.

I saw King's Speech last night. I did enjoy it but I guess I didn't find as emotionally engaging or uplifting as it was trying to be. Good movie but I will probably forget about it completely in a week. Colin Firth was awesome and I don't mind him getting best actor. 7.8/10.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I keep forgetting he did Roger Rabbit, but that was a mix of live-action and animation. In any case, I'll give him props for helping to push that part of the industry forward. But I was hoping he wouldn't waste a decade engulfed in it.

4. JunkyardDwg

Wait...I'm confused. D you think I'm nuts for hating the original or hating the remake?!

I loved the original. It's a classic.

As for the remake, initially I was put off they were doing yet another remake and even more put off that it was just a vehicle for Will Smith's son. Previews looked ok and some of my friends and family who saw it loved it. So I really tried to go in with an open mind. But the story plodded along (when it wasn't copying the original), the dialogue made me cringe at times and most of the acting outside Jackie Chan was bad (though I did like the guy in the Kreese role; perhaps more than the original Kreese). My wife pretty much felt the same way.

The best moments were when the movie tried to stand on it's own with original content and the fight choreography. The fighting easily tops anything from the first film. It just wasn't enough of a re-imagining imo.
    couple things I think could have made it better: the white kid that befriended him in the beginning should have had a bigger role; instead of being a retread of the "friend" that turned his back on Daniel in the first film. The boy that bullies Jayden maybe could have been either the girls brother or like a friend that's a brother figure (maybe he did serve that role but they brushed it off so quick you don't get a good idea what his motivations are). Spend more time in Jackie Chan's village training. Spend more time focusing on the fish-out of water concept (he WAS in a whole other country). Have him lose at the end; he can lose and still earn their respect (Even the original you have a hard time believing Daniel could pick up Karate that fast and beat Johnny, but this one, with what the other fighters were doing...no way!) Explore Chan's backstory a little more and how mentoring Jayden could serve as redemption for him; don't think they developed that enough.

I get that it was received well, but I think most would definitely agree that it is not as powerful as the original.

#2184 JunkyardDwg, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. JunkyardDwg

Paul

Was hoping it'd be funnier than it was. Some nice sci-fi references in an otherwise fairly forgettable comedy. Shaun of the Dead still remains their crown jewel, followed by Hot Fuzz.

6/10

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I saw Paul last night. Funniest movie this year.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

"Rango" : 8/10 - Good, funny, creative Movie. The type of movie, both Adults and Kids can enjoy. Johnny Depp is really good as Rango.

"How Do You Know": 7/10 - eh, I liked the cast(Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Jack Nicholson and Reese Witherspoon). But wasn't particularly thrilled with the story line, I found it to be a tad bit confusing.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

The Fighter 6/10. Totally over hype. Can't believe Mark Wahlberg train yrs for this role because his boxing is terrible. It's like the whole family are freaks or inbred. Part of the movie you're supposed to feel sorry or root for some of the character but it play out terribly.

Black Book by Paul Verhoeven. 8.5/10. I love Paul Verhoeven movies. Great movie.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Amazing.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Rango: 7/10 Johnny Depp was good as Rango, decent story...

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Waste Land- 10

Amazing work. They are calling it the Slumdog Millionaire of documentaries. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sNlwh8vT2NU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Insidious 7/10

It will scare you quite a bit.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Good call on waste land. There seems to be one outstanding documentary every year. Man on Wire, Cove, and now Waste Land.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Predators 2010 6/10. This remake didn't improve on anything.

Predator 1987 8/10. Decided to re-watch this and I can't believe how good it still is. Totally missed the vintage Arnold. GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Great to hear, I thought the trailer was extremely well done, can't wait to see it!

Original Predator is awesomeness, that movie radiates testosterone!

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I bought Toy Story 3 on Blu-Ray and I must say I was quite impressed. I haven't seen Toy Story 2 but I like the fact that we got to see the backstory of the villain in 3 (Lotso) and what made him the way he is. I always wondered why Sid was so sadistic but you never get any insight into that. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't but I liked it in this case. Not sure why but the ending just struck a chord with me for some reason as well and it was touching. I put it just above the first Toy Story but not by much.

My top 5 Pixar films are:

1. Ratatouille
    2. Toy Story 3
    3. Toy Story
    4. A Bug's Life
    5. The Incredibles

9/10 for TS3

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's an excellent film, held off from watching it again on bluray because the GD thing made me mist up at the movies, it did again when we watched it for a 2nd time, something about that last sequence.....

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Toy Story 3 was great the first time I watched it. I try watching it the second time and couldn't really finish it. I think the problem was it's just rehashing from 1 and 2 and I have seen 1 and 2 many times. 2 is still the best for me out of the series.

20. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Watched the Joe Strummer documentary "The Future Is Unwritten".

Liked it. I wish they had put tags on who was talking. I knew most of them but not all. Worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg3md__8IaQ