1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate The Front Office Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BDJ, Jan 22, 2001.

1. BDJ

BDJ Member

What would you say have been the Rockets' best and worst moves this decade? Here's my list:

BEST
    1-Clyde Drexler Trade
    2-Steve Francis Trade
    3-Drafting Sam Cassell
    4-Drafting Cuttino Mobley
    5-Drafting Robert Horry

WORST
    5-Kelvin Cato Contract
    4-Matt Maloney Contract
    3-Brent Price Contract
    2-Scottie Pippen Contract
    1-Mirsad Turkcan (which means "Large Turkey" in English)

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that the Avery Johnson trade is worse than the Kelvin Cato contract.

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

You forgot about Chuck. Trading for Charles was an awesome move for the PR department.

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not sure where they would rank, but drawing 2 excellent free agents in Taylor and Anderson for WAY below market value should go up there as a big time move.

Also, trading El Busto Joel Pryzbilla (so far at least) for Collier and a first round pick in one of the deepest drafts in years. I know it's premature to judge the trade now, but after Collier gets a chance to get in his groove again and after you guys see who we can get with that pick... I think it'll be a great move.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Cat, I am so glad Rudy didn't call me up and follow my advice during last years draft!

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

6. BDJ

BDJ Member

I also think that the Barkley trade was great, but I wouldn't rate it as among our best moves because it didn't produce a ring. Steve and Cat, on the other hand, still have that opportunity.
    As for Mo and Shandon, the jury is still out. I agree that they're both positives, but their long term effect remains to be seen. Obviously, if we don't keep them this Summer, their value to the franchise would be neutral.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BEST

Drexler trade
    Francis Trade
    O.T. Deal...i'm cheatin just a little there
    Mario acquisition
    Drafting Sam
    Mad Max Deal
    Exiling Mad Max when we did
    Mobes drafting
    Drafting Horry
    Trading Pip to the Blazers
    WORST

Not drafting Rashard Lewis and instead taking that hunk of junk...3 picks!
    Pippen
    Matt Maloney
    and a host of crappy draft picks

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 22, 2001).]

8. BDJ

BDJ Member

You can make a good argument for Mario being one of the best moves.
    I'd rate Max as neutral though - he did help us get a ring, but I think that ditching the team neutralized that. I thought that his off-court bull@#%* was entertaining as Hell, like running up into the stands in Portland, but some people might be turned off by that stuff.
    And I'm not sure what trading Pippen did for us. I think we could've gotten a much better deal at the time, but in retrospect, it worked out pretty even.

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yeah, Vernon was crazy.....huhuh..But he could D up better than anyone else against M.J. and that says a lot about what a defender he was.Boy,he could move up the court,so much physical talent...and a streaky a shooter who when he caught fire,would be soooo hot....tons of guts..and able to get in dude's heads.
    I kind of think Pippen was just an experiment gone bad,wrong player,wrong team..a punk....and ohh that cap relief we got..Pawning him off on the Blazers so quickly was huge.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 22, 2001).]

10. BDJ

BDJ Member

The Pippen signing continues to stump me. Clyde was having a hard time fitting in with Charles, but we replaced him with a player who had the same exact skills. If Clyde didn't want to stand out past the 3 point line waiting for kickouts, what made us think Pippen would accept that?

11. Plowman

Supporting Member

I guess it's just a testament to MJ's greatness and iron will..left to his own ways...... look at Scottie...man
    I think they were similiar in styles,but Clyde was able to adapt to the halfcourt game.Having played with Dream and just about everyone else in the offseason at some time or another that was key.Scottie has always lacked that self confidence and it manifests itself in a variety of ways...Rudy could have tried to open the court and have Pippen cut more,but he had a tough time mixing those veteran players with different styles and agendas...lots of injuries too so it was hard to get good chemistry...Plus there WERE times now that I think of it where Pip would not have the guts to drive the lane....It's too bad Chuck got hurt.I would rate him in the best for sure if we had made the it to the finals.....just a bad break..you do wonder what would have happened if they kept that team together in retrospect(the Championship team)..They came off injuries going into the playoffs and even though they were swept by Seattle,showed their heart in game 4.Keep them together and who knows?...In retrospect, hey at least Les and CD really gave it a shot during that small window and the Franchise is bouncing back so quickly...

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 23, 2001).]

12. Plowman

Supporting Member

I agree that SA is turning out to be one of those huge, glue guys like Elie....not vocal,but a definite stabilizer...we need to get him resigned asap.If we do, I put him up on the list.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 23, 2001).]

13. Live

Live Member

I don't know if the Pippen deal really rates as one of the worst Rocket moves. Through all the winning and moaning, he was fairly solid though unspectacular. But I always felt that after McDyess decided to sign with Denver the Rockets should have stood pat or signed 1 or 2 mid-tier FAs.

3 BEST & WORST

BEST
    Drafting Cuttino
    Trading for Clyde
    Drafting Sammie

WORST
    Drafting Dave Jamerson (And I just have to note, how do you draft a G who can't dribble???)
    Drafting John Turner
    Signing Cato (Because it was based on all of 7 PRESEASON GAMES!!)

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Clyde was a leader that was extreamly polished. Pippen was a whinny little follower that couldn't do anything but whine, suck his thumb and hold his doctor blanky with out MJ. He whined in Chicago, Houston and now the people of Portland see what a waste of human flesh he is.

Clyde led his team to two NBA finals and was a key player in a third that one a championship.

Pippen led his team to a secound round defeat by the Knicks and walked off of the floor at the most crucial time of the game when he did not get his way. I am sure he would have just plopped right on the court and held his breath or sucked his thumb but he probably did not want MJ to see him do that.

Pippen definitely makes the NBA's list of 50 most overated players of all time. And #1 on the whinny, nothings ever my fault, poor me syndrome list.

------------------

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mirsad will eventually turn into a first round pick from Detroit which should be quite choice. Of course, the Rocks could have drafted Rashard, but he too would have been traded when cap room was made for Pippen.

The best front office move in the 90s was to not trade Dream, before the championship years when he asked for a trade.

------------------