1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Texans #1 Pick JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big MAK, Apr 28, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A

123 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. B

84 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. C

40 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. D

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. E

29 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who knows what Watts is going to be? But a fierce front seven can make a bad secondary better & a good one great. Give it time.

2. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'm giving it a B

Watt was far and away the best 3-4 DE in the draft, and is automatically the most suited for it on our team. He's bigger, and stronger than any other DL player we have currently. All of that aside, I can't help but feel like they just wanted to pick the boyscout instead of the sure deal(Fairley.... as long as he doesn't go all Albert Haynesworth right off the bat). Wouldn't be a bad philiosphy... if it worked. Instead, Matt Schaub dropped to his knees and thanked the gods that the doesn't play in the NFC North.

They question now is, what the hell do we do with Mario? This is nothing new. We've been wondering that since Phillips wwas hired. I assumed, like many of us had started to, that he would still play in the 5 technique. Doesn't seem to be the case now. While I'm sure he will still get some time there, with Watt in the lineup I can't see him anywhere on the field other than OLB. Everyone says that they can see him as a D Ware type, but I sure don't...

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Wait, you're accusing me of a homer for accusing the Texans of being mediocre? :confused: Really?

4. Summer Song Giver

His name is Watt.

/first

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Wait, what happened? I thought Bowers was going 20 to Tampa?

Oh, they took another player at the SAME POSITION?!?!? FIRE MORRIS!!! CONTRACT THE FRANCHISE!!!

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Have the Texans ever made a selection that you've been excited about? AJ is the only one I can think of.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I was pretty pumped about Cushing.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Todd McShay:
    "Wade Phillips believes that if he has a solid front seven he can live with an average secondary."

No one better get their hopes up for Asomugha. Ike Taylor may be the biggest signing they'll do.

Jackson/Allen - Taylor - Quin - Nolan

#Winning

9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Here's ESPN's analysis

11(11) Houston J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
    What he brings: Watt is a versatile, high-motor player who can line up at LDE in a four-man front or 5-technique in a three-man front. He can also line up at tight end in short-yardage situations. While he could play a little lower he is stout against the run and can hold his ground when teams run at him, and he can get off blocks quickly enough to make the tackle. He's not an elite pass rusher but can walk offensive tackles back and is good at getting his hands into passing windows.
    How he fits: The biggest needs on this team are on defense as the Texans make the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and Watt fits perfectly. He is a try-hard player who should be natural at DE in the 3-4 and can also play DT in the 3-4 and nickel fronts. This defense will show a lot of slants and one-gap schemes and his effort should fit very well. He will also allow them some versatility with DE Mario Williams in terms of his ability to move around the formation. Watt will solidify the Texans interior run defense and an inside push in pass-rushing situations. It may not be an exotic pick but it should be a solid one.

10. ABforPresident

LOL they only picked him cause he used to play TE....

1 person likes this.
  11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I really wanted Fairley.

12. FullMetal Sage

Why do you care so damn much that hes defending the pick?

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm okay with the pick, but I just don't know what we're going to do with Mario.

Seems like we have 3 DE's and only 2 positions. Don't tell me they're going to put Mario at OLB.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Easy to grade

F

15. conquistador#11

It would have been great acquiring multiple picks like Cleveland did.
    Since we didn't, I don't mind the selection of Watt? Say Watt again!?

Wade had his paws all over the pick not Smith, so let's not freak out*

*YET.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I want to make a sig or tipjar bet about JJ, but I have no idea what to wager on.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Colts just drafted a 6'7", 310 pound offensive tackle. Liking our pick more by the minute.

18. ABforPresident

really hoping for Dontay Moch in the second round

19. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Amusing.

I saw the kid play on TV some for Nebraska...he looked good. I am reserving judgment on the pick...but I am glad that he has a monstrous motor.

It's kind of silly to tell people they shouldn't second guess picks made by a team that hasn't ever made the playoffs. Sure we don't have the information the Texans front office has...but unless you are New England second guessing is part of the fun of being a fan.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I like the pick.

Take a DT and then an OLB in the 3rd

our front seven would be elite

DE Mario
    NT (Paea)
    DE Watt

OLB (Matthews)
    ILB Cushing
    ILB Ryans
    OLB Barwin