1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Texans #1 Pick JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big MAK, Apr 28, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A

123 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. B

84 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. C

40 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. D

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. E

29 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. ABforPresident

Im so glad the Texans had so much inside knowledge when they picked Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye and Kareem Jackson..

1 person likes this.
  2. ABforPresident

LOL i wish i could Rep...

I really wasnt that mad with the pick at first..but that dude has made me hate JJ Watt

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Unreal. I've said, over and over again, that I would not have taken Watt. I do not think it was a great pick. I have not said that he was the best player available. I have no idea how else to say it.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He has a high motor...I like the pick........if it were in the 20's....But they could have done worse and picked Chris Ponder........Hello Vikings fans!!!!...It gonna be a long rebuilding process

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I like the pick. You can't teach size and athleticism. Almost 6'6" @ 300 pounds..Are you guys kidding me? We've always lacked a legit pass rush. He is going to look awesome across Mario. Reported to have a great motor, 36" vertical and good hands. Barwin moves to primarily to OLB. Your secondary is only as good as your defensive line. We added depth and improved our "trenches" in the process.

Corner back will addressed through free agency. Hoping for Rahim Morris in the second round.

2 people like this.
  6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

seriously cat, you're a pretty big homer and everyone knows it... obviously.

i find it amusing that you have so much faith in this pick simply b/c he was, well... picked. he may very well be a decent enough player but you likely could've traded down for him and worse than that, it just screams "playing it safe."

in other words... another pussyfooted texans pick.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Cat

Travis Johnson? Uh, that was from an entirely different regime. :rolleyes:

I also noticed you left out Brian Cushing and Duane Brown.

There was a fairly in-depth analysis a few weeks ago of all NFL drafts over the past five years... if I remember correctly, the Texans were ranked 15th. That sounds about right - some hits, some misses. On the whole, mediocre. They're not great, but they sure as hell know a lot more than you and I do. As do Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Billick, etc.

8. The Cat

Are you really being serious? For five months, all I heard was how I was Mr. Negativity. Now, I'm a pretty big homer and everyone knows it... obviously? :confused:

I don't have "so much faith" in the pick. Hell, he could be a complete and total bust. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA. I'm just willing to wait and see at least a few snaps on the field before making declarative statements. Also, judging by most big boards and mock drafts out there, 11 was right around where he was projected - not sure how you can say with much certainty if he'd have been around later.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I gave it a B for big. Dude is big. We gotta get more physical.

10. Summer Song Giver

I too wanted Fairley, and I am absolutely done defending this team but The Cat has provided link after link backing his stance that it was not a reach in terms of where he was picked however there were much bigger needs to fill.

11. ABforPresident

According to you every NFL scouting team are genius...it shouldnt matter who was making the decision in 2005

And also right now it looks like Clay Matthews would have been a lot better pick then Cush..and im pretty sure Duane Brown like leads the league in false starts..

12. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Bowers is a 4-3 end not a 3-4 end, Fairley is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DT, and Amukamara is falling for some reason. The Texans must feel that they can get a good CB, Harris or Ras I Dowling in the second round. The doctors wouldnt clear Quinn for medical due to the brain tumors found when he was in high school. Wade said that Watt is gonna be all over the line with Mario dropping to OLB in some downs. Watt was projected as a top 12 player on most boards, and he went 11. Not a sexy pick, but a very good pick for what we need changing to a 3-4!

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

let's just call this pick a reach, for all intents and purposes (considering the talent that was left on the board)...

serious question... when was the last time a "reach" pick for the Texans panned out?

15. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The Texans draft will be made in rounds 2-5

They should have taken Robert Quinn unless the team Dr. said no.
    Watt will be a good rotation player.

We have so many holes on defense, we needed a backup DE who could become a rotation player- Watt was a very safe pick for that role

Now let's see if we can get an edge rusher LB
    We also need a CB, NT, and SS

Watt was a mistake if we don't get an OLB that can rush

16. The Cat

This is unreal. When did I even imply that every NFL scouting team is genius? It's a complicated business. People miss all the time. The thing is, it's ridiculously complicated, even for people who commit their entire lives on it. That's why I'm not going to jump off a ledge over a guy I've read maybe two scouting reports on and have seen 45 seconds worth of highlights.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I will certainly say this - Watt makes a lot more sense as a 3-4 end than Mario does.

But I don't see this working if Mario is going to be asked to stand up often.

18. Summer Song Giver

It WAS NOT a reach. A pick not in a position of extreme weaknes yes but isn't everyone always screaming BPA regardless of need; and BPA is nearly always debatable.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Is it hard to type with that Texans foam finger on your hand?

3 people like this.
  20. The Cat

I'll give you rep points if you find one credible scout who labels the pick a reach. This is pretty much the exact point (within 1 or 2 spots) that nearly everyone projected Watt. And for all the talk about a "QB run", there was all of ONE extra quarterback (Locker) that unexpectedly went ahead of the Texans.

Watt was considered the 11th or 12th best talent on the board on most draft boards. The Texans took him at pick 11. I don't see the case for labelling it a reach.