1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Texans #1 Pick JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big MAK, Apr 28, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A

123 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. B

84 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. C

40 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. D

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. E

29 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know I said it last night, but I really think Mark Anderson is going to surprise some folks in that 3-4 OLB role. He's very solid as an edge rusher and has exactly the kind of burst that you want. I'm actually more bullish on him than Barwin.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This is Nebraska haterade, here. Amakumara is a legit shutdown corner. Interceptions are one of the worst things to judge CBs by. Amakumara got the Deion Sanders treatment all year. As for "struggling" against Blackmon, he had him in single coverage without safety help, and gave up 4 catches to him for 140 yards. Eighty of those yards came on a single play, a flea-flicker, and Amakumara bit on it. Blackmon got 5 catches total (a 27-yard TD against the other corner). That's Blackmon's career low in receptions.

He's going to be fantastic in New York. I wouldn't be shocked if he had a better career than Peterson, since he's in a better situation. This is a perfect example of good teams making good picks.

3. The Cat

Most of the Big 12 receivers I saw quoted seemed to think Smith was a better CB than Amakumara. Maybe there's a Nebraska bias there, but there did seem to be a consensus. I'd also argue that the same case you make for him in New York may have inflated his value a bit at Nebraska. The Huskers front seven the past two years has been sick. Opposing QBs haven't really had time to let routes develop downfield, and when they have, they've often been forced throws in desperation situations.

I don't think he's a bust, but I don't see him as a shutdown corner, based on the information I have. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the 15-25 range is fair.

4. makman

makman Member

Sorry dude being a Husker ur biased. He's overrated went where he probably should've. Better than Peterson? Rethink that one. He's stiff in the hips, no picks, got run over by Locker, and missed numerous tackles. He will be a solid corner though but will always need over the top help. I'm not a Texas fan but Aaron Williams is a better corner than him and hopefully he's a Texan.

I like the idea of moving Mario around and at OLB. Watt was prob 4 on their board 1) Miller 2) Peterson 3) Smith 4) Watt. Fairley is too much of a risk and I did like Quinn a lot but maybe he wouldn't fit in scheme wise.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, Schaub and Foster weren't actually drafted. I guess you could call it draft related, but it's not exactly the same thing.

On the flip side, we've taken players like Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Fred Bennett, Antwaun Molden, and Antoine Caldwell in the first few rounds.

For every player that Kubiak/Smith has drafted that has been an adaquate player, there have been 2 or 3 that either haven't done anything or have seriously underperformed. They miss a hell of a lot more than they hit, and the only REALLY good player they've drafted has been Brian Cushing. One really good player in 4 post-Mario/DeMeco drafts. That's pathetic. We should be expecting more out of our first and second round picks.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

They're all good kids that battlefight every week so that's all that matters and all you can ask for. /sarcasm
    :p

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm not a Husker. My only Big 12 allegiance comes from my dropping out of grad school at Oklahoma State.

As for the stiff in the hips thing goes, this happens every year. No football is played for 4 months, and how players run around cones suddenly becomes more important than what they did in real football games. As far as the missing tackles go, Prince is a better tackler than Deion Sanders.

I'd love Aaron Williams at this point, too, but Amakumara had a better college career, that'll probably translate into a better pro career.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

LOL...They overvalue guys who dont take chances....A thug is a go-getta..Fairley or Quinn would bring a whole new culture to the Texans...

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Aaron Williams would be another K. Jackson on this team... HE's NFL ready but has a few flaws that would be exposed by Peyton...After all , thats how we judge our defensive players according to ESPN analyst...They forget we play 11 other teams a year...So basically our secondary shall be considered busts until Peyton retires

10. makman

makman Member

Lol about grad school. Ur right he did have a better college career than Williams and almost everyone could tackle better than Deion. He won't be better than Williams pro wise because if he can't pan out at CB he can move to FS. He does fit the NY defense though they need a corner like him. Worried they'll butcher this second pick though.

11. makman

makman Member

Makes no sense, Jackson was not NFL ready Williams is. All rookie corners have flaws but he's a playmaker with versatility and would help out. It's not 7 on 7 if you get to Peyton he can't throw the ball and they can't protect him. Anthony Castonzo isn't going to block Mario or even Watt.

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i couldnt believe they passed on fairley. that one will bite our ass, but i remembered that its the texans.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jackson was deemed by many "NFL ready" or even "most NFL ready" of the CBs.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Doesnt make sense??...That is why they drafted Jackson was because "he was NFL ready" and played for Saban....Obviously , he wasnt ready by any stretch of imagination....I think Aaron would be a stud for a different team in 2-3 years....But I dont want him here...Dont wanna ruin his career!!!

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

I'm standing by my prediction; bust.

16. conquistador#11

You don't think Duane Brown is a excellent Tackle? He manns the position for one of the best rushing and passing offenses. Jacoby Jones, when he is not asked to play the slot, plays like a third round selection. I think it was ex general manager Ron Wolf that said during rounds 3-5 you are drafting for depth and possible rotation players. Caldwell was projected to start had it not been for the smart signing of Wade smith. I do agree that Bennet and Molden were horrible. I do count matt because it didn't allow houston to have a 2nd round pick in 2007 and 2008, if I remember correctly. And foster, well, another team could have picked him up but they didn't. Know he is on "turtle's " fantasy team.

Last year's fiasco all came down to expecting a rookie to be the savior, and Kubiak turning into captain Norman dike in the middle of a battlefight, as he usually does.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I can't help but think that the Texans are the second coming of the Rockets. They're so good they can't get a high draft pick (too bad we HAD to win that last game to save Gary and Ricks jobs!) and not good enough to make the playoffs. At least the Rockets have a good GM that knows how to draft and make trades. I know, Rockets >>>>>> Texans, all I'm saying is talent wise in comparison to the rest of the league and where we end up picking due to that. Middle of the pack. Too bad it will probably be that way until we get rid of Gary and Rick, and start taking some chances by drafting players with upside and taking a few slight risks instead of playing it safe and taking the nice guys.

Pugs

18. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

And Jimmy Clausen was deemed the most "pro-ready" QB last year. I'm beginning to think it's just a newspeak term for "sucks."

19. makman

makman Member

Only because he played for Saban. No he wasn't that would be Joe Haden who went in the top ten and was nfl ready. And Devin McCourty was the most nfl ready apparently who went late 20's. We reached for Jackson should've been a 2nd rnder.

20. The Cat

Three of the past five Texan first-round picks have been Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye and Brian Cushing. You can say a lot of things about those guys, but "playing it safe" isn't one of them.