1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Texans #1 Pick JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big MAK, Apr 28, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A

123 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. B

84 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. C

40 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. D

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. E

29 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Why? ... :confused: Passing on Quinn, Fairley and Amukamara? You got to be kidding me? It's going to be a short season ... again! :(

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Can't believe we got to page 5 before this joke was made. I would have phrased it thusly, "The Texans found a way to draft a TE in the first round... FROM WISCONSIN no less."

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

While this may not have been that much of a reach, I still would have taken Fairley in a heartbeat. Cody/Mitchell at NT will be an absolute joke. Getting ready to hear how much they are getting overpowered at the point of attack if there is a season. This pick does signal that Okoye is toast (as well he should be). I am also not on board with premise that we just have to trust Wade on this one because after watching his crash and burn in Dallas, I have little faith in him and his system. Time will tell I suppose.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Funny that he is a pro bowler now

So are you saying this is a good pick?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luke warm on the pick. He should strengthen the run defense as both DEs are great against the run. I think the Texans try to get an OLB in the second. They may trade down to try to get the OLB for value. I think the Texans try to get one of the top free agent CBs like Johnathan Joseph.

6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I'm not an expert, but here's my general opinion.....

I would have liked to see us trade back (who knows if this was even a possibility) at least 3-4 spots and possibly get an extra pick, even if it was a 4th rounder. If we traded back 4 spots that would have still guaranteed us one of Quinn, Fairley, Amukamara or Watt. Like I said, who knows if that was a possibility, but that's what I would have hoped for.

Assuming the above wasn't a possibility, I was hoping for Quinn or Amukamara through the first 9 picks, and when I saw we were guaranteed to have the opportunity to get at least one of them I got excited. Then I raised an eyebrow when I saw that Fairley was still on the board. I was sure the Texans were going to jump on that, but in the back of my mind I couldn't help but think.....this IS the Texans we're talking about.

Overall, I am not excited because I feel there was higher talent available (this seems like a recurring incident with the Texans), but I will wait to bash them. What I don't like....this seems like it was just a "safe" pick. We really need another playmaker who can wrek havoc, and odds are, this isn't it. Not saying I can't be wrong, I really hope I am, but I am just so fed up with stuff like this, but I'm not expert and am going with the odds that they know a little more than me (just a little). I also dislike that, even though they can be moved around, which could be seen as an advantage, he plays the same position(s) as Mario and Antonio. Why draft anyone even similar to two of your best?

If it were me, I would have taken:

1) Fairley
    2) Quinn
    3) Amukamara
    4) Watt

I still hold out hope we drafted him for someone else, but I'm sure that is HIGHLY unlikely now.

Pugs

Edit: Forgot to mention the most important part and main reason we drafted him....he used to play TE!

#186 pugsly8422, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's a system pro-bowler. In a Pro Bowl no one respects no less. Calling Jason Babin anything more than a massive disappointment for where he was drafted and what he was traded for is a fools errand. He's bounced around the league more than Kim Kardashian.

This pick has "Battlefightin'" written all over it. I don't hate JJ but when you NEED a pass rush; you NEED a Beast with explosiveness and you draft a Run stopping DE that will only play 60% of downs?

Funny how the Lions are now closer to having an elite defense than we are after two years! two ****ing years!

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Just saying....

[​IMG] ??

Pugs

9. cdain3

cdain3 Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0gsgyY_QW0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0gsgyY_QW0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

:cool:

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Quinn was suspended by the NCAA. It doesn't matter what the allegations were, there was no way he was going to be OK on McNair's board. Fairley had character issues. Again, rule him out.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't get all the Fairley love. He's not big enough to be a 3-4 DT and he's basically a 1-year wonder.

All the highlights I see of him (sorry I haven't watched 500 hours, The Cat) show him getting into the backfield because of his quick first step. That wouldn't work as a 3-4 NT.

12. Pete the Cheat

I will admit I have done most of my homework on Watt after the fact. But what struck me as interesting (being on the Fairley bandwagon going in) is that their measurables are nearly identical.

Watt. 6'5" 290lbs, 4.81 on the 40
    Fairley 6'4" 291lbs, 4.84 on the 40.

If we are going to question Fairley's capabilities due to physicial limitations then the same has to be said of Watt.
    That being said, Watt seems to have the intangible edge over Fairley by all accounts...

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i suspected the excitement to culminate in a fizzle and that's exactly what happened. I was happy to see Quinn there and that's who I would have taken. I'm unfamiliar with Watts, but he is seemingly a "solid" pick from all the scouts. I did find it hilarious with how safe the pick is/was both from a player talent and character side, i.e. he wasnt suspended the year like quinn or character issues like fairley.

I was a bit surprised no one traded up but I'm thinking that denver and cardinals were never that willing to trade out of those spots despite the rumors.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He bullrushed a lot. Size doesn't matter nearly as much for a DT as strength. Nick Fairley is ridiculously strong. Like Ndamukong Suh strong. He'll be better in a 4-3 than a 3-4, but he'd still be awesome as an NT.

15. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

The same guys bashing this pick, are the same guys who bashed the Cushing pick unit he started playing on Sundays. Nobody knows enough about these guys to figure out how they will translate on the next level. I wanted Quinn, but oh well. What I like reading about Watt is that he seems to really love football. To be a non-scholarship athelete out of HS to being a 2nd team all american is pretty impressive...shows a ton of dedication.

16. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

The guy may turn out to be good, but as it stands this pick was totally the type of things the Texans do. I was thinkning at the time with Prince, Fairley and Quinn available there was no way they'd screw it up........guess they showed me. I feel like they should have traded down a few spots and still have gotten this guy.

Also, I think its fair to be concerned seeing as the Texans don't exactly have a track record of strong drafts. Someone mentioned the 2006 draft, but failed to acknowledge that was Casserly not Smith. Also as for Cushing, I hope the dude comes back to what he was, but who knows.

If they make a strong run at Asomugha then it won't be as bad.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Prince love is what really gets me, and leads to my belief that most folks form their draft opinions based on initial assessments in December/January (when football is fresh on everyone's mind). So many of you say you want a "playmaker"... here's a guy with zero picks, struggled against top competition (Blackmon), and was widely considered to have fallen into the 15-20 range in most mocks. And that's exactly where he ended up going.

Quinn and Fairley are acceptable alternatives, but I don't think you can blame teams for being a little skittish about a tumor. As far as Fairley, he's the guy I would have taken - but the character concerns are there and I knew the Texans wouldn't do it. They are who they are.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

In McShay's final mock, Watt went at No. 9 - ahead of two of the three you listed.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-c...raft-todd-mcshay-projects-j-j-watt-to-cowboys

Watt was in the same tier with Quinn and Fairley, and clear as day ahead of Prince on most mocks. You just didn't hear him associated with the Texans because most assumed Houston would go pass-rushing OLB. If you want to complain, that's the thing to complain about - the position. It's not about the value of the pick. From an overall talent perspective, Watt was widely considered right there among the apparent holy trio.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

But they play different positions.

Maybe no one wanted to trade up to 11? Just a thought. :)

That was my biggest "huh??" moment. Seems odd to take a DE when you already have 2 really good ones (Williams and Smith) and you have an unproven converted TE coming off a major injury as your only full-time OLB option.

20. conquistador#11

I'm as disgusted as most people on the board for the way things have turned out with our lovable losers. Only the Lions and the Bills have the longest tenures of not making the playoffs. It's depressing. If I was a little more emo, I would cut myself!
    But I just don't see how people perceive the texans as being god awful in moves involving the draft. Schaub, Foster, Brown, Cushing, Quinn all important players that contribute at a high level. The first three are basically 3/4 of the entire offense.

How soon do we forget that when the team was 4-2 last year, we were considered to be the team with the most young talent across the league. I hate Smith for having a huge ego and thinking that a rookie would replace Dunta but not because Okoye did not pan out. Okoyes happen to all teams, even the great ones.

I have much confidence that our D will be better than 30th! :)
    Just having the 20th, the playoffs are reachable.