1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate My Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nemac, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Whoever said the shot reminds them of Luis Scola's shot is right. Similar release. Very good release. I'd just reiterate what everybody else has been saying.

2. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Scola has a slow release and no hops. Just depends on other parts of his game and how crafty he is.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thick tight solid...

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Both Scola and the OP are using a free throw motion. That's the right foot thingie. As others have said, the footing is wrong...but not for free throws.

Scola at 18' can get away with a nice, controlled free throw stroke since he is a PF, but a guard can't. Shooting in a forward-leaning position like that with your right foot out exposes the ball to much...but it is a perfectly fine free throw stance.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Worst.Shot.Ever

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WhDi0Ce_Z5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Cut the hair for better visibility and elevation.

8. YaosDirtyStache

So...we meet again.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Or get a good headband. Most good shooters don't need to swipe the hair away from their eyes before taking a shot.

10. nemac

nemac Member

I probably should have added that I play center. Yep, a 6'6" center, what are the odds!? I'm the tallest person in my social league, next tallest is like 6'3" maybe. Even when I used to play in the higher grades there weren't many people taller, it's ridiculous.

Here in NZ, bball isn't even on the map..

According to wiki, the top five sports played by men in NZ are:
    26% Golf
    15% Cricket
    14% Tennis
    14% Touch football (Less physical form of rugby)
    11% Rugby union

..after that you could probably put rowing, hockey and soccer before bball. I feel like the lack of competition has made me complacent, not having a need to get better. I wish basketball was more popular, that I was forced to get better through competition and that I didn't have to go out of my way for a pick-up game. In fact, I've noticed that the Asian basketball community is the most active here but it's not exactly tough competition.

Anyway, thanks for all tips, they should be useful.

I hear everyone about elevating more, improving my vertical would help in other areas too. However, my release point has got me by since I play center and nobody is tall enough to block me anyway lol.

@dharocks: Thanks. Good tip about shooting at game speed. Will try this. This set shot is usually what is most successful in game as I find myself open at the elbows or the line. I play inside with 4 guys already on the perimeter so that's my range. Kinda thought elevating correctly would be one less factor to worry about plus I don't have shot blockers to worry about. The other thing is that I'm still recovering from bursitis in my right shoulder so it has hurt my confidence in what I can do with it at this point. Still can't do press ups, for example.

@jopatmc, IVFL, DOMINATOR, heypartner: This is interesting.. Nobody's ever told me anything about footwork before. I fear it's probably too late to change it, well it will take a conscious effort. I will try elevating with both feet equally though. Is there a good video tutorial or something, didn't realize my footwork was so r****ded

@ClutchCityReturns: Its a good drill - I sometimes do the same thing except I try to rise up as fast as possible, probably not too good for the old back

@SunsRocketsfan: Haha! I play '+1-2' and do well. I think in this stretch I made 7 in a row. Edited the vid so people didn't have to watch me getting the ball. Also it looks like I've been shooting for hours but I was only there for 15 or so.

Thanks again for the tips, will put them to practice and hopefully come back with better results. Cheers.

11. Asian Sensation

Was this video shot in the early 90's? The hoop, the court, your clothes, your hair.. everything is old skool.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Holy **** you got some Scola gene in you...

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Get er' done Morey. ;)

14. moose

moose Member

I've always wanted to see what my jump shot looks like. I might make a vid too.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Trust me you still want to learn to elevate. Because nobody is tall enough in your current league doesn't mean that that stays the same. Do not get complacent because you can dominate now.

When I was younger I also had to play center (I'm 6"7). But I developed my game for PF since that would be more a position for me when I started playing at higher leagues. So I practiced my handling skills, shot from around the three point line, and my face to the basket game.

Only having a set shot in around the free throw line is not good enough when you start playing against athletic players.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

New Zealand seems like a great place. From the pictures it looks beautiful. I've especially always wanted to visit Melbourne and Sydney. They have a really good indie music scene there.

17. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

First thing I thought of when I saw the vid..SpaceCityKid

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I thought the same. You got a good shot... as long as it goes in!

19. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

With your body frame, I'd say your form looks almost like Dirk's jump shot. Except you need more lift. Bend your knees.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This had to be a joke. Pretty good though. Sounds Flight of the Concord-like. Anyhow, that scenery looks awesome. You won't find anything like that outdoors in Houston.