1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Jimy's Performance This Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Timing, Aug 22, 2003.

?

What grade do you give Jimy so far this season?

1. A

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. A-

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. B

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. B-

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. C

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. C-

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. D

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. F

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Timing

Timing Member

Just curious what grade everyone would give Jimy so far this year. List your reasons and stuff.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I said A-

Teams with starting rotations like ours aren't typically in first place in late-August.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agreed. The Astros have starting rotation that has only two legit starters in Miller and Redding and Miller is not playing like he is capable of. The Astros are the worst hitting team in all of baseball since the all-star break. I really don't see how this team is in 1st place at all.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nearly a ditto. I'd have given him a B+ had that been an option. I feel there may be too many instances of him pulling the pitcher too early and overusing our bullpen. However, he's seem to have done a better job of that over the course of the season.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I gave him a B. Was tempted to give him an A, but his jerking of a starter that is performing well (albeit, not very often) still irks me too much to give him a top grade.

Felipe Alou will probably get MOY, but Jimy deserves most of the 2nd place votes.

1st Alou
    2nd Jimy
    3rd Cox

6. Timing

Timing Member

I gave him a B-. I think he's done a really good job with the pitching but that whole lineup thing with Ensberg is just getting ridiculous. I understood it when Blum was coming off the DL, you don't want a guy coming back and sitting on the bench without being able to get his swing back but 2 weeks or so after Blum came off the DL when Ensberg was still playing better baseball he's just got to be in the lineup. I don't get it. Also I despise the way he seems to sit players after they have great games.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think Ensberg's been playing better than Blum lately though. However, I guess you could try and attribute that to Jimy not playing him as consistently. I think that's a wash, personally.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like his decision making, although I wondered about White, but it turned out fine...

Also, taking Villone out after 5 is pure geneous as he knows the limitations of his staff...

Go Jimy and Go Stros!!!

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"Manager's decision."

God, how I do NOT miss hearing that bullsh!t with the Sox, LOL.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A- for me too. If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Kent and Oswald would miss substantial time (especially RoyO) and with our starting pitching that we'd be in first place in August, I would have laughed.

I'm a little surprised there's not more hate for Jimy in this poll like there is on Houston sports talk.

11. MadMax

that's funny...when I was in Boston, all the Sox fans were telling me how much they wish they still had Jimy.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They probably wish they were in first place too. :)

13. MadMax

i'm sure...of course, if they were in the NL Central, they would be! by a lot of games! :) their lineup is ridiculously good this year...best offensive team in baseball.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, Max you have to realize a couple of things:

1) Many Red Sox fans feel this way because of Dan Duquette who was certainly the greater of 2 evils.

2) Red Sox fans, for the most part (including me SOMETIMES), are never satisfied with whoever is managing until that person wins a World Series.

When Jimy was managing the Sox, I heard people clamoring for Kevin Kennedy (who was the manager before Williams).

And yes, Duquette didn't handle Jimy's firing well, but I was exasperated with the multitude of lineup changes, various tinkerings, and moves that made no sense (Jimy's hunches).

15. spence99

spence99 Member

Jimy is lucky to be in the division he is in. Any other division and we would be talking about how bad this team is. Why is it everyone bad talked Dierker when he won the division every year with guys overachieving, and now people think Jimy is doing a great job to just be competing for first with our team?
    When everyone talks about how bad our starters have done or how bad the offense is doing, doesn't the manager deserve blame? I think one of the reasons our starters struggle is because Jimy yanks them so quick. With Dierker, all our starters seemed to overachieve, while with Jimy, they underachieve.

16. Major

Major Member

When everyone talks about how bad our starters have done or how bad the offense is doing, doesn't the manager deserve blame? I think one of the reasons our starters struggle is because Jimy yanks them so quick.

The other reason our starters struggle is that they suck. Jared Fernandez, Jeriome Robertson, Tim Redding, and Ron Villone are a far cry from Randy Johnson, Mike Hampton, Jose Lima, and Shane Reynolds.

They don't suck because they get yanked. They get yanked because they suck.

17. MadMax

hold up...who overachieved?? Dierker was blessed with one of the game's best everyday lineups....and good to very good pitching staffs...and one of the game's best closers.

that 1998 team was as good as Astros baseball has EVER been. if anything, i'd say they underachieved.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would also like to point out that our starters have not sucked. We have had an above average rotation all season. It's just that certain pitchers (Miller) have underachieved, and others (Oswalt) have been injured. That sucks, but the guys that filled in have actually done an admirable job. For the most part, it is the offense that has underachieved. So I don't buy this idea that our rotation has somehow been worse because Jimy pulls them quickly. Certainly the injuries can't be blamed on that.

19. vangundy

vangundy Member

Gave him a C. Dotel and Lidge have been way overworked this season. If Jimy weren't so quick to give his starters, as bad as they may be, the hook then the bullpen would be in much better shape.

Right now, Dotel and Lidge aren't as automatic as they were 2 months ago.

20. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

C. Not terrible, but not special either. Has been dealt a tough hand with the starting rotation, but has a great bully.